Eduard Junkers J1 wing spacing

fredsopwith

Currently "Challenged" by the strange strut configuration on the Eduard J1. The supplied struts are pretty flimsy, and I cannot get them set in place, without the substantial upper wing lolling around.

Can anyone supply me with the gap distance between the upper and lower wings, so I can set up a jig to hold all in place. found a contemporary evaluation report, which quotes approx 2 meters, which comes out way to large.

Can anyone help with dimensions ?

Thanks in advance, Fred.

I am working on the same kit and have hit a stop for the same reason. I plan on setting the top wing top down, maybe with something to keep it from moving around, glue the struts that go from the bottom wing to the top wing onto the bottom wing, and then try to get the pins at the top of the struts into the proper indentations for them on the top wing, and use bits of wood and paint bottles to get everything lined up properly. Only after that is all set and dried will I then attempt to put in the crossing struts. The holes for the cross struts and the struts from the bottom wing to the fuselage are virtually non-existent. I used a pin vise to drill holes in the fuselage for these struts, but I can already tell that they won't work for the cross struts. Let the interplane struts set the gap and adjust the lengths of the cross struts as necessary later on starting from the top wing down to the fuselage. I have a jig assembly that I bought a couple of years ago, but it has been rather useless.

Later,

Dave

I feel your pain Dave ! Have tried inverting everything myself, along with lego supports to prop the rear fuselage up, but again, because of the odd wing root configuration of the main struts, everything seems to twist, pivoting around them.

I often use sandwich foam - board, with wing - thickness slots, at correct spacing and stagger cut in to hold everything steady, that is why I need info for the wing spacing, so I can make some up.

Does anyone have the Wind sock data file drawings which dims could be taken from ?

I do, but I am back in the UK, (time off for good behaviour...), until 01/01 and my copy of the Datafile is back 'home' in kenya. If you can wait till I go, (grudgingly), back.

As an aside, have you looked at the instruction sheet for Wingnut Wings J.1? There might be something useful.

Christian, out of africa

I also have the Wingnut Wings kit and will build it one of these days. I did find it useful for interior and exterior finishes. Their recommendations on colors to use seemed more logical than what Eduard would have you paint them. As for joining the wings or giving you the proper gap, I don't recall seeing anything there, but they way they have designed the attachments for the struts is a lot better than Eduard, and should be easier to get the two wings installed and lined up.

Later,

Dave

As an aside, have you looked at the instruction sheet for Wingnut Wings J.1? There might be something useful.

Christian, out of africa

Thanks for the tip Christian. Have been trying to use the Eduard colour scheme profiles, but the proportions seem a bit odd, hopefully the Wingnut profiles are more proportionally accurate.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I had the day off and decided to tackle joining the wings. I used (heaven forbid!) tube glue to attach the outer struts to the lower wing. I had the upper wing against a piece of floor tile, propping it up with a disassembled clothes pin and used tube glue for the pins on the top end of the struts. I then lined up the pins on the front struts with the locating holes. I used two bottles of paint to square the fuselage to the wing and also had them against the front of the stab to keep the fuselage from drifting to the rear. After making sure everything was lined up correctly I moved the pins of the rear struts into their locating holes on the upper wing. I then ran liquid glue around the joints on the upper wing. It has now been twelve hours and everything seems to be holding. I will try turning it right side up tomorrow night in about another 24 hours. The four interwing struts are holding and you will notice that the engine housing is not resting on the piece of tile.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/104292885@N04/24011693252/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/104292885@N04/24011692852/in/dateposted-public/

The photo in the overhead shot makes it look like the leading edge of the bottom wing is staggered behind the leading edge of the top wing. They are actually lined up with no stagger as per the Eduard instructions.

Later,

Dave

Edited by e8n2

• 2 weeks later...

Hope that set up worked for you Dave. Cant see on photos, but presume you fitted Fin / Rudder assy to hold rear of fuselage up.

The fin and rudder were installed prior to joining the wings. I will attach the fin support struts later. When I get some time over the next few days I will install the last of the cross struts.

Later,

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I just remembered earlier this evening that the Harleyford book, "Reconnaissance & Bomber Aircraft of the 1914 - 1918 War" has information on the gap between the wings on the Junkers. It comes out to 6' 8", or a little over an inch in 72nd scale. Metric it comes out to 203.2 cm or 28.2 mm in 72nd scale. Hopefully even at this late date the information can be of some use.

Later,

Dave