Zvezda Su-33 1/72 (New tool) released

sofiane1718

• 4 months later...

*rasp* What's with all the sudden influx of new-tool Fulcrum and Flanker variants? Don't they realize I only have so much money?! *rasp*

• Like 1

James G, on 13 May 2016 - 5:06 PM, said:James G, on 13 May 2016 - 5:06 PM, said:

Hmmm, what to do....get this one or the Hasegawa version?

Now would be "Should I get this one or the Trumpeter version" I think :thumbsup:

And more pictures from the precedent source:

6584231G4mByWG4B8.jpg

850236BJnTRv3ja8.jpg

414425cMSv9a1kwZg.jpg

461830fGI6agxhZA.jpg

948878kcm8JktlZPE.jpg

615624mYpkSnemY4.jpg

551471PiA9hg8fPRM.jpg

Edited by sofiane1718
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

The wing can evidently be made in folded position

Hmmmm..... not without some 'fettling'.......

The folded wing on the Su-33 has the double-slotted trailing edge flaps drooped - as well as the leading-edge slats......

rear_03.jpg

Zvezda's Su-33 seems to have one-piece flaps - and no separate slats - so work will be needed.

It also looks quite simplified (the tailhook isn't separate for example) - but no doubt it is very accurate.

I had to modify Trumpeter's wing to get it right.....

Su-33_011.jpg

Ken

• Like 1

From the manufacturers point of view one has to make a rational decision on the kind of detail that is put into the kit but what is more important, the parts number which influences the production costs and so the retail price of the finished product. The manufacturer has a fairly good knowledge of his market and of the potential customer profile and the product will be tailored to achieve the best possible reach. The product is not designed for the 1-2% hyper detail modellers but for the average and as a mass produced kit.

Still I would love to see those flaps and slats on this Zvezda kit as they should be in extended position! But then I would have to agree also to the fact that the manufacturer will have to add them as extra parts (and fairly big ones) and this will result in a higher price of the kit in the model shop!

I have heard the comment from several manufactures already: “we let the aftermarket manufacturers do that . . .” or “we have to leave something for the aftermarket manufacturers . . . ”. It could be true in case of very fine details which are beyond the possibilities of injection moulding. I do agree with this. But I could not agree with the approach when the kit producer makes an inferior product with over simplified or completely non-existent details even though it would be possible with injection moulding technology and passes the responsibility to the aftermarket manufacturers.

This was not the case with Zvezda when I spoke to them.

Having learned from the Su-27SM many things were designed in a different way on the Su-33 and in some cases extra detail added where it was possible.

I look forward with great interest to this kit!

Best regards

Gabor

From the manufacturers point of view one has to make a rational decision on the kind of detail that is put into the kit but what is more important, the parts number which influences the production costs and so the retail price of the finished product. The manufacturer has a fairly good knowledge of his market and of the potential customer profile and the product will be tailored to achieve the best possible reach. The product is not designed for the 1-2% hyper detail modellers but for the average and as a mass produced kit.

Still I would love to see those flaps and slats on this Zvezda kit as they should be in extended position! But then I would have to agree also to the fact that the manufacturer will have to add them as extra parts (and fairly big ones) and this will result in a higher price of the kit in the model shop!

I have heard the comment from several manufactures already: “we let the aftermarket manufacturers do that . . .” or “we have to leave something for the aftermarket manufacturers . . . ”. It could be true in case of very fine details which are beyond the possibilities of injection moulding. I do agree with this. But I could not agree with the approach when the kit producer makes an inferior product with over simplified or completely non-existent details even though it would be possible with injection moulding technology and passes the responsibility to the aftermarket manufacturers.

This was not the case with Zvezda when I spoke to them.

Having learned from the Su-27SM many things were designed in a different way on the Su-33 and in some cases extra detail added where it was possible.

I look forward with great interest to this kit!

Best regards

Gabor

Maybe this is where Zvezda could produce the parts themselves and sell and a version of the kit for people who don't want the wings folded and another version with the wing fold option.

Edited by Tbolt

That adds to the cost though. Extra CAD time, extra manufacturing costs, extra marketing. All adds up...

Of course it does but obviously the retail cost of the folding wing kit would be more - if people are willing to buy the AM resin, which also cost quite a bit to produce, then they would be willing to pay this extra cost. And lets face it Zvezda kit are pretty cheap to start with.

Edited by Tbolt

And lets face it Zvezda kit are pretty cheap to start with.

It all depends on where in the world you are! If you are living in the West of Europe and I mean UK, France, Germany . . . I mean really West of Europe then it could be that in comparison with your income these kits are considered to be cheap. Zvezda is selling somewhere 70-80% (if I remember right) of its product in Russia and ex USSR states where the wages are "not exactly" up to Western standards but it is true of East European countries (monthly income is somewhere 4-10 times less) also. So for Zvezda the primary aim is to satisfy its home market but of course they try to be an important player also in the Western market.

Since it is a Naval fighter an option is given to fold the wings, including nice details inside the wing fold.

Both the Su-27S and the two seat UB were in the computer of the designer Aleksandra Adamtsova years ago, but that is only CAD, it takes far more for it to appear as a plastic kit. There is always a chance that it will remain just a CAD model. The brake-down of the Su-27SM kit (top fuselage with a separate forward part) suggest strongly that there will be a two seater coming somewhere in the future.

Making two versions of the kit is not a realistic proposition. To produce the 27S or even the 27P model it would have been fairly easy for Zvezda, just have two new sprues, one for the canopy with the OLS search head in the middle and one for other extra parts, antennas, early ejection seat . . . new decal, new box and such. Still it is nowhere. For a second version of the Su-33 with detailed flaps a similar extra sprue would be required but just as the 27S has not been made, don’t think time would be spent on this either.

Best regards

Gabor

It all depends on where in the world you are! If you are living in the West of Europe and I mean UK, France, Germany . . . I mean really West of Europe then it could be that in comparison with your income these kits are considered to be cheap. Zvezda is selling somewhere 70-80% (if I remember right) of its product in Russia and ex USSR states where the wages are "not exactly" up to Western standards but it is true of East European countries (monthly income is somewhere 4-10 times less) also. So for Zvezda the primary aim is to satisfy its home market but of course they try to be an important player also in the Western market.

Since it is a Naval fighter an option is given to fold the wings, including nice details inside the wing fold.

Both the Su-27S and the two seat UB were in the computer of the designer Aleksandra Adamtsova years ago, but that is only CAD, it takes far more for it to appear as a plastic kit. There is always a chance that it will remain just a CAD model. The brake-down of the Su-27SM kit (top fuselage with a separate forward part) suggest strongly that there will be a two seater coming somewhere in the future.

Making two versions of the kit is not a realistic proposition. To produce the 27S or even the 27P model it would have been fairly easy for Zvezda, just have two new sprues, one for the canopy with the OLS search head in the middle and one for other extra parts, antennas, early ejection seat . . . new decal, new box and such. Still it is nowhere. For a second version of the Su-33 with detailed flaps a similar extra sprue would be required but just as the 27S has not been made, don’t think time would be spent on this either.

Best regards

Gabor

Good point about the home market, but it's they are not cheap compared to my income, but to other kits, here in the UK anyway.

AMK are producing their F-14 with two sets of wings, one with the flaps and slats out and one a clean wing and Airfix produced their Seafire with two sets of wings, one for a folded wing and one extended, both require a fair bit of extra tooling, both at competitively priced. After some of the detailed work in some of Zvezda's other kits, it doesn't seem like it would be a stretch to add the flaps.

Edited by Tbolt

Yes, many companies are doing this but let’s be frank most of those kits are more the up market models with a very different price tag! For example the Czech Annetra will have the Mi-17 helicopter in two versions.

The Zvezda Su-27SM just as the Mi-24 Hind is the best representation of the given type in that scale with some very fine details but it is still intended as a mass produced product and don’t understand me wrong but it is intended for the toy market with the hope that many youngsters will buy it and build a kit of the plane that they have seen at the weekend at the air show or on the TV.

It is beyond the possibilities of this product to cater for different levels of modellers.

I have always said that when designing a swing wing kit the manufacturer should make two versions of the wing as it is not possible to have a “two in one” in a given space of the wing glove. The result is the way over thick wing glove of the likes of OEZ/Eduard Su-17 kit! :((((

Best regards

Gabor