Jump to content

1/48 Revell (Monogram) F-5F RThaiAF 211sqn 30th anniversary


techniquest
 Share

Recommended Posts

I came to this one rather late in the day, but thought I'd join in if that's okay with everyone :)

I've had this kit for ages, so it's nice to have an excuse to build it at last. I'm going to build oob apart from using Siam Scale decals for aircraft 21105, Royal Thai Air Force with special 30th anniversary markings on the tail. Wish me luck!

412008386.jpg

This is the one I'm building:

412008406.jpg

Edited by techniquest
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, the build commences. I have started work on the cockpit section, thus far just given it a first coat. Unusually, the seats are integral to the cockpit tub, but I rather like the level of detail considering it's such an old kit.

There is a ton of flash everywhere on the parts, especially the main fuselage/wing, so it's going to take a lot of careful trimming and sanding.

412008387.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard and another great scheme as well. she'll look great when finished.

Plus it's great to see you're off to a flying start as well.

Well good luck with the build, hope it's a nice pleasant build with no issues, do look forward to seeing her in the galley.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's an amazing scheme!! Where did you get the Sism Decals from?

I got the decals from Thailand - a shop in Bangkok but I can't remember the name.

Meanwhile, I've been something of a busy bee and got the cockpit section finished, apart from some final tidying and a couple more dabs of paint. Dry fitting suggests that the cockpit will fit nice and snug into the fuselage, but that the fuselage halves will be a terrible fit. We shall see....

412008389.jpg

412008388.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know about the rest of you who are building this Revell / Monogram F-5F for this group build, but my one needs a ton of filler along the fuselage join! The cockpit tub went in nice and snug though - just hope the lids fit later.

412027217.jpg

Like you mine was full of flash, lots of trimming and sanding. Yeah and I also had a bit of a fight getting them aligned, clamped etc....saved a bit of time in the end as not so much filler needed....have fun with the intakes (just saying!!) :shutup::mental: ....will watch with interest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year, guys. :)

After sanding it down and giving it a first coat of primer, I discovered I needed yet more filler! So after sanding that second lot down, I'm finally happier with the resultant joins. Here is the model as it stands today with much of the basic camo painting done.

412052095.jpg412052094.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry it's been a long time since the last update. To be honest, I'm finding this build a bit of a struggle - simply not into it. Never mind, that being said, I've got the canopy in place (hellish fit - now I know why so many people build this one with the lids open!) and the model has been given a coat of gloss varnish ready for decals. The fin has been painted and decalled; the eagles' head image being a touch too large compared to the real thing.

So I', going to busy myself with the rest of the decals and then see about getting the wheels, missiles and underbelly tank on :)

412106506.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice work...yes, these old Monogram kits need a ton of filler and lots of sanding. I also agree that they are designed to have their canopies open and, yes, mine was a woeful fit too. Good work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, after a lot of sanding and carving (and a little bit of huffing and puffing), my Royal Thai Air Force anniversary F-5F is now finished. I have done some weathering though this doesn't really show itself very well in the photos. The Siam Scale decals are nice and go on rather well, though the oversized fin decal is tricky to get to bed-in and I had to use several splashes of Microsol. Thanks to the group build, this kit has been built but I have to say, the chances of my ever building another are extremely slender!

More photos can be seen in the gallery section; hope you like the finished item.

412128303.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

well done on completing her after a bit of a struggle, she looks very colourful with that tail. Very much a worthy addition to the gallery, give yourself a pat on the back for persisting with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...