U-Boat Type XXI ("Wilhelm Bauer") in 1/72 by Revell

elmarriachi

Hi U-Boat fans...

some good news for all fans of German U-Boats. I was in contact with Revell Germany today regarding U-Boat kits in 1/72 scale.

Great news: They confirmed that the Type XXI, such as U-Boat "Wilhelm Bauer" will come in scale 1/72 for 100%!

The bad news.... it will be not before end 2016, maybe in 2017. But it will come definitly !!!!!

A dream is coming true.... one more "monster" ....:!!!!!!

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

They said that there is no market for British, Russian or Japanese U-Boats in this scale.... therefore it is a logical consequence doing the XXI as next one :)

Sad as it seems, this is quite true.

It would be a nice option for 1/350, or even 1/144.

They said that there is no market for British, Russian or Japanese U-Boats in this scale.... therefore it is a logical consequence doing the XXI as next one :)

Which British ones are available in this scale? Zero availability tends to lead to very low sales figures. (Mind you, maybe I've missed the point of your .smiley'!)

Edited by Dave Batt

Nice as it is, their attitude over British subs is rather sad. Doubt they've done any real market research on the subject, but there are a lot of sub builders who would love to build at least one. Poor show in my opinion.

• Like 3

I agree if theres no market how come mikromir are releasing British subs in 1/350?

so far we have had a K class, M1 has just been released with the promise of M2 & M3 to follow, A Resolution class is in production, with the possible promise of an A class (HMS Alliance) plus T Class, both modified in the near future.

Revell seem to be missing the mark, the larger 1/72 are great but sadly there are no type IX's in 1/144, a British submarine in this scale would be a dream.

It will be great to get a 1/72 type XX1, when i last looked the U Class was well up on there poll? for future builds go figure.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another release that is of no interest to me! I wonder who does their market research?

I have built the 1/72 Pit-Road X-Craft midget submarine and it's an excellent kit. However, I can't believe that the X-Craft hasn't been produced as an injection moulded 1/72 scale kit.

As Dave Batt said, zero availability of 1/72 scale RN submarines will inevitably result in low sales figures. However, I wonder if low sales figures for the Type XXI will lead Revell to conclude that the demand for 1/72 submarines has plateaued.

Cheers

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Perhaps ICM might be persuaded to produce 1/144 or even 1/72 British submarines, if Revell don't feel it worth their time.

This has the whiff of "we're tired of telling people there's no demand for Royal Navy submarines".

While they're (ICM, Revell, whoever) are at it, some of the USN Pacific subs could be of interest.

Sorry to be cynical.

• 1 month later...

Or maybe someone in Poland will release U-class - Polish Navy had two of them: ORP Sokol (ex HMS Urchin) and ORP Dzik (ex P.52) - quite successful on Mediterranean and North Sea.

ORP_Sokol2.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...