Guadalcanal Wildcat.

This is a little something else I turned to due to my disappointment with the Dc-4 build I was working on on an occasional basis. Its the new tool Airfix Wildcat F4F-4. I basically used the kit decals but finished it as an anonymous aeroplane flown by 26 kill ace, Captain Joe Foss USMC. I read that he flew a number as a number of the Wildcats he flew ended up damaged from combat etc. So this representation depicts one of those Wildcats.

IMG_0072_zpsisbvl06p.jpg

IMG_0071_zpsugska0cu.jpg

IMG_0069_zpssotljvon.jpg

IMG_0068_zpsgqyxhq1k.jpg

IMG_0067_zpsnbsnkyx4.jpg

IMG_0066_zpsw82apw07.jpg

IMG_0070_zpsa0q02gtv.jpg

An enjoyable build.All parts fitting pretty well really. I ignored the criticisms landed on this kit including my own and just went for it. I did fall into a trap by joining the fuselage together before fitting the undercart assembly.... "what a mistake a to make a!" But all was not lost as I managed to prise apart the join where the doors fit and before adding the engine bulkhead etc which added to saving the day and fitted the sub assembly successfully. I also attempted to represent the much faded top side colour a bit and darkened the top side colour a tad to represent the overpainted red white striped rudder and a bit to other parts of the airframe.

Cheers!

• Like 15