1/48 - MiG-31B/BS & BM/BSM "Foxhound" by AvantGarde Model Kits - released - new BM/BSM & B/BS boxings

Homebee

I am glad to hear that. Looking forward to your build with baited breath...

Norwegian internet wi-fi is prolific but if you don’t buy a cup of coffee at £7 a go then you don’t get the password. In the hotel it was free so I seen most of my time working not sleeping.... nightmare.

Lovely place, lovely people but WOW it’s dear!

We know all about the costs in Norway! My sister married a Norwegian and lives there!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Hi March,

Hannants have ordered already. Their shipment will be going out next week. I am sure they wouldn’t mind me saying that.

Certainly won’t be August, I know the statement was tongue in cheek :)

Keep me appraised on when it arrives. I can work out the timescales for them then. All I will know is that the goods will go out the door in the best possible condition.

Ha! It certainly was tongue in cheek, although it seemed to work in Hannants and AMK's favour last time.. First I ordered the Mig-31. Whilst waiting I went back for the Kfir. Then a while later for the Magister... shortly after the darn boat had arrived (and the oarsmen had disembarked) I received a box from Hannants with all four kits... Cunning. Very cunning...

General Melchett - is it your very fine build included in this months Airfix World magazine?

• Like 1

Ha! It certainly was tongue in cheek, although it seemed to work in Hannants and AMK's favour last time.. First I ordered the Mig-31. Whilst waiting I went back for the Kfir. Then a while later for the Magister... shortly after the darn boat had arrived (and the oarsmen had disembarked) I received a box from Hannants with all four kits... Cunning. Very cunning...

General Melchett - is it your very fine build included in this months Airfix World magazine?

Good man March. How are you finding the kits?

The AWM article is indeed the Generals superb rendition of our kit. Great article and very fairly balanced I thought. It’s almost impossible to make the Holy Grail kit. But we can try :)

Edited by Martin @ AMK Hobby

Good man March. How are you finding the kits?

The AWM article is indeed the Generals superb rendition of our kit. Great article and very fairly balanced I thought. Its almost impossible to make the Holy Grail kit. But we can try :)

I've yet to make a start on any of them, mainly because I've been time poor due to work commitments of late and when time has been available, I've been trying to clear a few other builds out of the way. I'm also waiting for the Mr. Paint paints to become available in the UK before I start mine. Looks like Blackbird Models are picking up that range.

However, having studied the kit and having followed numerous builds on here I know I'm in good hands. Seems that the only consistent quibble of the Mig-31 kit concerns the landing gear, although I'm wondering if folk are letting the glue cure before having the model take the weight? The General certainly had no issues with his. I've bought a set of the G-Factor ones in the meantime.

• Like 1

I've yet to make a start on any of them, mainly because I've been time poor due to work commitments of late and when time has been available, I've been trying to clear a few other builds out of the way. I'm also waiting for the Mr. Paint paints to become available in the UK before I start mine. Looks like Blackbird Models are picking up that range.

However, having studied the kit and having followed numerous builds on here I know I'm in good hands. Seems that the only consistent quibble of the Mig-31 kit concerns the landing gear, although I'm wondering if folk are letting the glue cure before having the model take the weight? The General certainly had no issues with his. I've bought a set of the G-Factor ones in the meantime.

I agree, I think the biggest issue with the kits MLG is that they are, as you say, set on their legs too early possibly. Having put one together myself, I let my legs cure for three days. I also used a two part epoxy resin not CA or styrene glue. I guess its down to preference like all modelling.

Each has their own method, I just don’t trust CA to hold the kit upright. However, when CA breaks it usually breaks cleanly.

• Like 2

I agree, I think the biggest issue with the kits MLG is that they are, as you say, set on their legs too early possibly. Having put one together myself, I let my legs cure for three days. I also used a two part epoxy resin not CA or styrene glue. I guess its down to preference like all modelling.

Each has their own method, I just don’t trust CA to hold the kit upright. However, when CA breaks it usually breaks cleanly.

Hi Martin,

- I bought this wonderful kit directly from China through LuckyModel and I've just began the building following closely Mike's post on WIP; ,Back to the rumourmonger I open my eyes wide looking at the forseen decal sheet.far more complete than the one in my kit

- It is far more reduced in size without Kazkhstan marking, canopy sealing and cockpit decals, is this decals sheet made for export outside Asian countries ,or the sheet shown in Rumourmonger is part of some test shot?

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

- I bought this wonderful kit directly from China through LuckyModel and I've just began the building following closely Mike's post on WIP; ,Back to the rumourmonger I open my eyes wide looking at the forseen decal sheet.far more complete than the one in my kit

- It is far more reduced in size without Kazkhstan marking, canopy sealing and cockpit decals, is this decals sheet made for export outside Asian countries ,or the sheet shown in Rumourmonger is part of some test shot?

The B/BS has yet to be released. What I suspect you have the release of the BS/BMS, which is the latest variant of the aircraft that is in use with Russia only. :) Edited by March
  • Like 2

The B/BS has yet to be released. What I suspect you have the release of the BS/BMS, which is the latest variant of the aircraft that is in use with Russia only. :)

That's my sheet in the kit..

IMG_0665_zpsytjgcmd4.jpg

- What is worth of interest in the sheet shown is mainly the pink sealing around the canopy ,as there are no after market device available to this date I m forced to rely on my wobling hand and ever deminishing eyes.......Thanks for your answer....J.M

• Like 1

You have the MiG-31BS/BSM kit, which is the later or 'upgraded' version of the aircraft, and which is the first MiG-31 kit AMK released.

This thread (and decal sheet, etc.) is about the MiG-31B/BM kit, which is the earlier or 'pre-upgrade' version of the aircraft, and which isn't due out until April.

The BS/BSM kit includes modern missiles and pylons, and parts to depict the updated 'glass' cockpit, but does not have canopy seal (germetika) or instrument panel decals. As this type is only flown by the Russian Air Force, it only contains markings for Russian aircraft.

The B/BM kit will include older-style missiles and pylons and parts to depict the original 'dial' cockpit. Its decal sheet has been improved, to include canopy seals and instrument panels, and will also include Kazakh markings, as this version is also flown by Kazakhstan (these are the red stars with the yellow eagles on top). This release of the kit will also include tinted clear parts, along with the original un-tinted ones, to help depict the yellowed glazings often seen on older Russian aircraft, however you *may* prefer to manually tint the clear parts yourself, because on the actual aircraft, the windscreen's centre pane remains clear, while all other panels will yellow.

If you don't want to hand-paint the pink sealant around your BS/BSM kit's glazings, Furball Decals will be releasing a sheet of 'germetika' decals for the kit.

If you wish to build a Kazakh aircraft, you can fudge it by leaving the missile pylons off, ignoring the cockpit changes and making a few minor external modifications.

• Like 2

Thank you ICMF. That’s correct of course. Save that our newest kit is the MiG-31B/BS :goodjob:

Many thanks for your complete answer for IPMS19.

IPMS19, I hope that answers you fully? I am sorry I did not see your post until just now sir.

Thanks to March also.

• Like 1

That's my sheet in the kit..

- What is worth of interest in the sheet shown is mainly the pink sealing around the canopy ,as there are no after market device available to this date I m forced to rely on my wobling hand and ever deminishing eyes.......Thanks for your answer....J.M

Hey IPMS19 (JM) the more wobbly your hand the better to do the sealant. With respect I mean no offence.

I mean that the sealant is applied by hand anyway and is a two-part resin type deal which is not at all neat on the real thing. So, the worse it is applied on the model the better....to a point.

• Like 1

- Thank you Gentlemen for your answers, they are what I wanted to know about applying germetika, I even discovered this stuff inside the nosewheel housing ,and I guess it can be founded everywhere in the beast......

-Searching my paint stash Ive been lucky to discover an old Humbrol enamel paint still perfectly working referenced Gloss 200 pink color which ,with scale efect, will be perfect to show Germetika sealing

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have another question for Kotey, regarding upcoming Begemot decal sheet for "Standard Foxhound" ...

Will you include Navy MiG-31 from Elizovo AB ?

Those are quite old birds (DZ and so on...) and heavy weathered...

I haven't seen anyone producing this "MA VMF ROSSII" sign in any scale ...

http://russianplanes.net/id183810

http://russianplanes.net/id157096

http://russianplanes.net/id150716

• Like 1

I expected this matter regarding R-33 missiles color to arise earlier, but I will do it here:

Interesting thing , there are two types of coloring on R-33 missiles,I am not sure if there are any differences between them.

Both types can be seen on same a/c, here are the photos (and it is BM) !

http://russianplanes.net/id176359

http://russianplanes.net/id176358

http://russianplanes.net/id177188

(note radome tan tip on white missiles)

I plan to build both AMK MiG-31's with different colored R-33s..just like I did more than 15 years ago on Condor and Zvezda 1/72 kits...

Cheers

P

Edited by petarvu

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the secret surprise in the B/BS kit yet> The clues are out there and so are the photos..... Hope you like the new additional parts to the kit,

See? We do care :)

Please enlighten us, the kit hasn't made it to the UK yet.

• Like 1