1/1000 USS Enterprise NCC1701- B (AMT).

The Ship.

The USS Enterprise-B - featured in the movie Star Trek: Generations - was technically the third ship to carry the name Enterprise, and was an upgraded version of the Excelsior class. As well as having a different colour scheme to the standard Excelsiors, Enterprise-B also featured additional engines and a flared engineering hull as well as capped nacelles, all of which gave it a slightly beefier and more aggressive appearance. The studio model was an alteration of the existing USS Excelsior model, with the flared hull intended to accommodate a hull breach without damaging the existing model (as it turns out the glue did that anyway and the alterations ended up becoming permanent).

The model.

The model is by AMT and is in 1/1000 scale. For hull markings I purchased a set of aztek decals by Acreation for use in conjunction with the supplied decals, which give the finished model a more realistic and detailed appearance. They are also somewhat tricky to work with and tear very easily - I made many errors, but most of the imperfections are concealed by a coat of Humbrol matt acrylic varnish. The decals also negate the need for most of the painting, although I had already painted most of the model before I decided to opt for the additional decals. An unsettlingly small display stand is included in the shape of a Starfleet logo with the name of the film in moulded detail. I shall be keeping this one away from sources of wind.

DSC02441.jpg

DSC02442.jpg

DSC02443.jpg

DSC02445.jpg

DSC02444.jpg

DSC02446.jpg

By way of size comparison, here's the Enterprise-B alongside her older sister (Polar Lights 1/1000 USS Enterprise NCC 1701 refit):

DSC02447.jpg

DSC02448.jpg

And that's my last build for 2015! Thanks for looking in, and as always any comments/questions are most welcome.

Regards,

Ross.

Edited by Ravens
  • Like 11

Thanks guys; very kind words.

Thats just a superb job, well done, thanks for the info re decals.

All the best Chris

One essential tip I learned using the Acreation decals was to never submerge them in water, as they are super-thin and will quickly start to disintegrate under pressure once wet. I found that the best method was to line a food tub with paper towel, add water and pour as much excess liquid away as possible. Then I cut out the transfer and placed it decal-side up on the wet paper towel, and after around five seconds the decal will be ready to slide onto the surface, which I prepared with water mist from a spray bottle to help it slide. That made the process a bit less strenuous, but still a candidate for most headache-inducing product I've encountered in the hobby!

Ross.

That looks great! :thumbsup:

Colours look good, was there any mixing involved to to get the required colours for the build?

Painting was mostly done with straight-out-of-the-pot colours based on what I thought matched images of the ship, however there is some subtle variation where the colours on the decals overlap my own paintwork.

The teal colour was Revell aqua 55 matt light green, but it might be worth noting that it looks a bit more blue here than it does in the flesh due to the environment it was photographed in; and also slightly darker shade where the decals add to it.

If you need any specific info on the colours just let me know and I'll do my best to recall.

Cheers,

Ross.

• Like 1