1/48 Noob seeks kit suggestions...

Alan P

Hi all, I've been building aircraft in 1/32 for over ten years. I like modern/cold War era subjects, with a particular affinity for US and Russian subjects, although I also do the odd RAF or Luftwaffe every now and then.

I'm moving over to try more 1/48 stuff as I'm starting to lose the will to live superdetailing huge grey jets!

I'd really appreciate some ideas for bingeing with my Christmas money. I'm looking for relatively recent tooled kits of modern (1980s onward) subjects from any nation. Accuracy preferred but detail and buildability is foremost!

Thanks in advance, Al

AMK MiG-31 BM : hard to beat that :)

Kinetic Su-33 (available from today at luckmodel)

GWH MiG-29 series

and of course Eduard MiG-21s (although more like 60ies, 70ies...)

but as we are at it already, Trumpeter brought a out a fairly decent Su-9....

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

How about an Airfix EE Lightning for a change? I've not built mine yet but they are supposed to be nice kits. Also if you want to push the boat out, you could even do a prop aircraft like Airfix's Spitfire XIX or Eduard's Spitfire VIII, IX and XVI (some Spitfires hung around well into the jet age!). The AFV Club F-5 kits are also supposed to be nice.

thanks

Mike

Most of my suggestions have already been said, but they are fun to build.

Eduard MiG 21 (Any of the series).

AFV F-5 Series.

Airfix Lightning.

Hasegawa A-4 Series.

The next few I have not built as yet but look forward to doing so.

AMK L-29 Delphin.

Wolfpack Design T-38.

Tamiya F-117.

• Like 1

I'd second some of the above -

AFV F-5's,

GWH Mig 29's,

Eduard Mig 21's,

Hase A-4's,

What about a Hobby Boss F-14....you need to have the legendary 'Cat in the collection, or target material for the F-14, a Trumpeter Mig-23!

Eng

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Some great suggestions there, looks like some MiGs in the future! And I've always wanted a Rafale, it's criminal there is no kit in 1/32!

Cheers everyone,

Al

The AMK Mig31 has been getting some extremely high praise indeed, which is frustrating as I have one on order at Hannants and they don't get stock until January! :D

A little left field, the the SWS Ho-229 is superb. I have one and it's not like any other kit I've seen - not so much a build, but it looks like more of an 'experience' (caveat, I've yet to build mine).

I have the Eduard Mig-21 in my stash - nice to see it getting high praise. I may move onto that one next. As for UK, I'm currently building the Airfix Gnat and have enjoyed putting that one together.

I've just recently got back into modelling and made the switch to 1/48 too, so will be watching the recommendations in this thread with interest.

Edited by March

A big yes to the new Spits, my Mk.I was a fun build. The Hurricane is awesome. I've been thinking about the Lightning just because of the 'over, under' shotgun look of the engines, something different for the shelf. I've heard the 1/48 is a nice kit as well. Not sure what sort of grief I'd get though (here in the US) ... Just finished a SHAR and keep getting asked why I didn't do an AV-8.