1/48th Siemens Schuckert DIII (Eduard)

That looks super good to me. Thanks for posting. If you don't mind, I have a few questions. #1 .. how did you do the turnbuckles ? #2 .. how did you do the prop, painted ? #3 ... How did you do the wood grain on the fuselage ? I have a number of the Eduard 1/48 scale WWI kits and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before I launch into them. Thanks for any info that you can provide. Once again, GREAT WORK !! Bob H.

Hi Bob,

The turnbuckles were made from copper electrical wire with the insulation stripped off. I squeezed the ends flat with pliers and punched a hole at each end with a straight pin, then rounded the ends with a file. Magnification helps! The prop was made from wood strips I swiped from a wood ship kit. I used Titebond glue and a clamping fixture to press each layer together until dry. Then carved the prop using the kit part as a guide. The fuselage and interior are done with artists oils. I first painted radome tan color enamel as a base. Then I thinned some burnt umber oil paint with Turpinoid and applied it with a fan brush. Oil paint dries very slow ut if add a bit of Cobalt Drier it speeds things up. Cheers.

3.jpg

7.jpg

• Like 9

Cratecruncher, That is one stunning build my friend the finish you got is magnifico to say the least, Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more of your builds here.

regards Steve N. :pilot:

Good god, this is truly outstanding work! I can honestly say this is the best example of this particular kit that I have seen thus far - absolutely amazing work. I've built this kit in the past and mine looks complete rubbish compared to yours.

Well done mate!

Regards

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Great job! I am going to tackle this plane myself soon. I (soon will) have all three Eduard kits. I just am not sure which one or combination of, I will build but, I asked about that on a separate topic.

What I would like to know is, what paint did you use for the bright metal parts?

Such a simple little aircraft modelled with such care, thought and attention to detail.

I really do like this and need to look into some of the techniques you used.

Very well done that man.

• 3 weeks later...