Short Stirling Decals

Juan R-S

Hello all,

I came across an old Esci decal No.57(Whitley/Short Stirling). One of the schemes was for a 15th Squadron Stirling Mk I(J-LS).

This aircraft showed a court jester with bombing mission markings.

The aircraft codes are painted in white and I was wondering if they were correct or should they have been mid gray. Also, are

there any pics in the internet of this aircraft? I googled but did was not lucky. My plan is to use them on an Airfix Stirling a friend

gave me as a gift. It is already half built but should be good as a SOB. Yes, I am going "old school" all the way.

Thanks for any help.

Grey seems more likely than white. This photo appears to show the same airframe, but gives a different serial than the ESCI sheet. https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6044/6385777837_14062762a6_b.jpg

A word of caution: if you haven't used one of the old ESCI sheets before, expect things to go poorly. Mine typically either shatter into a million pieces or they refuse to leave the backing sheet at all.

What they said. You should be OK with the nose art, because it will be going over a (reasonably) flat area, but I'd be inclined to give it a coat of Micro Decalfilm or something like Tamiya semi-gloss clear beforehand, just to be certain. A tiny dab of white glue where the nose art is to go wouldn't hurt, either. Get other markings like roundels, codes and serials from somewhere else - Modeldecal/Xtradecal do generic sheets for everything, IIRC, but if not there should be other sources.