Two Eduard 1/48 MiG-21s

zebra

Just finished two Eduard 1/48 MiG-21s. Absolutely loved these kits, can see myself making a few more.

First up, a MiG-21PF in Vietnam People's Air Force markings. Inspired by seeing the real 4326 at the VPAF museum in Hanoi earlier this year - or at least it was painted as 4326, after seeing the "same" MiG-17 in two different museums on the same day I don't think I can be sure! This is the profipack kit, built from the box, painted using Alclad White Aluminium with some panels picked out in Duralumin - but the difference between the shades is too subtle and doesn't really come out in the photos.

23091943993_011e6eba1c_c.jpg1:48 VPAF MiG-21PF 1 by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

23351033239_534d42ff55_c.jpg1:48 VPAF MiG-21PF 2 by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

23351011459_c2e1e20869_c.jpg1:48 VPAF MiG-21PF 3 by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

23636417751_4e8b27b5d3_c.jpg1:48 VPAF MiG-21PF 4 by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

Next an Indian AF MiG-21bis from Eduard's "MiG-21 in Indian Service" boxing. Not quite as pleased with the way this turned out - there were a few stuff-ups and I'm only showing you its good side!

23351075409_2e7a20eacd_c.jpg1:48 IAF MiG-21bis 2 by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

23351095379_8a772a7e9b_c.jpg1:48 IAF MiG-21bis 1 by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

• Like 16

I like them, surely I'll make one myself.

I see there was some pin-wash applied on the alclad painted one. My question is how do you do it? I never painted anything this big with metalizer. And I know, that securing metalizer with clear paint isn't always a good idea (you can lose "metalic" look). Did you apply (oil?) wash right on alclad? Any troubles with that? Or did you actually secure it with clear gloss?

I like them, surely I'll make one myself.

I see there was some pin-wash applied on the alclad painted one. My question is how do you do it? I never painted anything this big with metalizer. And I know, that securing metalizer with clear paint isn't always a good idea (you can lose "metalic" look). Did you apply (oil?) wash right on alclad? Any troubles with that? Or did you actually secure it with clear gloss?

It's the Flory Models weathering wash - water based, not oil based. I didn't use a gloss coat, just put the wash straight onto the Alclad finish. The wash worked a treat on the Alclad, best result I've ever had from this wash.

It's the Flory Models weathering wash - water based, not oil based. I didn't use a gloss coat, just put the wash straight onto the Alclad finish. The wash worked a treat on the Alclad, best result I've ever had from this wash.

And what about the decals? Are they straight on alclad? Any coat on the decals?