Golden Scooter or as I like to call it Gold Member

trickyrich

Golden Scooter – 1/48 RNZAF TA-4K 50th Anniversary Special

256parked_zps7b8a997e.jpg

Ok I wasn’t intending this to be a build thread but I thought why not as there was some interest when I started this build over 2 years ago!

I have picked up so many times in between and thought about starting it but had too many other projects on the go. But I have been trying to clean out some of the old projects I have started so guess I do need to finish this one!

That said I don’t know if I get to finish this in time but after my holidays I go back to a very model friendly roster, work 8 days, model 6 days!! :yahoo:

So here she is…I didn’t get far at all other than some heated “discussions” with another member……am ready this time! :fight::P

The base is Classic Airframes TA-4J, there is some mod work to be done but nothing too major.

DSCF0960_zps0b67db3d.jpg

DSCF0964_zps824667ea.jpg

There are a couple of issues with the decal but they are actually fairly simple to sort out plus I have a different set to raid bits off as well.

I have done quite a bit of work already and will post some photos shortly.

ok I’d better post some photos else I’ll be in trouble!

I had done quite a lot of prep work on this build, being a Classic Airframe model that’s essential! There were lots of mould plugs all over the place that needed to be removed as will as resin plugs.

The intakes were the first thing glued together as I had wanted to get some nice smooth joins, painting them white showed I had a way to go! The rest of the intake and engine bit were painted as well.

DSCF1397_zpsnai9eyiq.jpg

The main wheel wells still had the 20mm cannon breaches moulded in them so they had been removed along with replacing some of the pipe work. So these were painted and I’ve started the detailing work.

DSCF1394_zpses9rff5q.jpg

The cockpit had been glued together so that was painted and again I’ve just started the detailing work with it and the ejector seats.

DSCF1395_zpsdzxpfcym.jpg

DSCF1398_zpseurvdkyc.jpg

I had attempted to simulate the quilting on the side walls of the cockpit but made a bit of a hash of that, but you really don’t see this when the cockpit is closed up.

DSCF1399_zpsil648kwc.jpg

I have a set of the correct 150 gallon drop tanks form RedRoo Models, they’ve been glued together and I’ve started to tidy them up as well.

DSCF1400_zpse0pimquc.jpg

Well of to a good start, as mentioned most of the cleaning up had been done earlier, so I can really just get straight into the build. Will have a little time maybe next weekend to do some more before I head off on holidays.

• Like 1

Great work so far Rich. looking forward to seeing the results.

I did this machine using a Monogram OA-4 and the Red Roo conversion some years ago and as you say the decals have some issues and are very fragile as well.

I also built the Classic Airframes TA-4 as '56 in the test markings for the Golden Skyhawk and before its conversion to Kahu standards. I though it wasn't too hard a build and not much more difficult than the Hasegawa TA-4( of which I have built two).

A4GB32_zpsc1033459.jpgA4GB34_zps15940f90.jpg

I know you'll do a much better job.