Douglas DC-4, 1:144 Minicraft

Douglas DC-4 Transworld Airline (TWA)

1:144 Minicraft with Draw Decals

The DC-4 is one of my favourite aircraft, it did sterling work in the post war period and a few are still working today, such as those with Buffalo Airways in Canada. The Minicraft kit is a real beauty, one of their best, although it is getting hard to find now.

Decals are from Draw Decals and went on beautifully, as usual. The paintwork is Alclad 'polished aluminium' on the fuselage and cowlings, with the wings & tailplanes in Citadel Runefang steel.

dc4-11_zpsy64wvqwz.jpg

dc4-8_zpsvv0ru4e8.jpg

dc4-7_zpsl5lgibpx.jpg

DC4-13_zpscma2ewkq.jpg

dc4-16_zpsq7wrhduc.jpg

dc4-9_zpsanjidyge.jpg

dc4-10_zpszeanyh24.jpg

And 'with something else'. Well 2 really as I seem to be developing a TWA theme.

Rodens DC-3 straight from the box with TWA markings;

dc4-15_zpsavesawyw.jpg

And Fly's DC-9 with Draw Decals TWA set;

dc4-14_zpsflk61r9y.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 25

Simply stunning John, but I'm afraid I find myself automatically scrolling down to see the "what it's with" these days. (What have we done ?)

Time to scroll back up to the top and spend more time absorbing some subliminal civvie modelling.

Thanks for sharing.

mike

• Like 1

That is superb John. The metal finish is something to write home about! The DC-3 and DC-9 are no slouches either. Beautiful to behold. Can you tell I like them?

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Wow! Awesome NMF!

I'm always pleased to see aerials on a model, it really brings it to life.

I'm wondering why you used different paint for the wings and tailplanes? I'm just curious!

The Minicraft DC-4 is a sweet little model for sure and I also like the Roden DC-3 too, got two on the go at the moment.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Looks a stunner John.

Funnily enough, I do the same as Mike and scroll down to see what you've paired it with.

Catch up with you soon Matey.

Chris

Thank you - a compliment indeed. Oh wait, the other Mike . . . . .

Three beautiful models. All you need is a TWA Super G Connie to set them off.

Minicraft made a decent effort of their Douglas (and McDD) models, such a pity their other offerings weren't as good.

I've also just completed the same DC9 kit with Draw Decals too. Now that's a nice little model.

Jeff

I'm wondering why you used different paint for the wings and tailplanes? I'm just curious!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

It is to provide a bit more contrast and hopefully, realism.

Looking at pictures of natural metal airliners from this era, it would seem that efforts were made to keep the fuselages clean and shiny, but less so with the wings.

Given that the upper & lower surfaces of the wings would not really be seen when viewed on the ground, plus all the grime and oil that the big radilal engines chucked out, it would have taken a lot of effort to buff them up.

I also did the moveable control surfaces and some wing panels in a contrasting colour, but It didn't show up very well in the photos.

Here's one of it before I started decalling, where all the contrasts show up a bit better.

dc4-6_zpscwq9vbqi.jpg

Looks a stunner John.

Funnily enough, I do the same as Mike and scroll down to see what you've paired it with.

Catch up with you soon Matey.

Chris

Draw Decals do these in 1:72 as well Chris. Your 1:72 Revell C-54 would look good in this scheme!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

Thanks for the explanation. I see what you mean, it definitely adds realism. Your DC-4 looks good enough before the decals were added!

I find making panels differ slightly one of the most challenging aspects of painting a NMF. The metal decal sheets offered by Authentic Airliners are one way but they're difficult to apply on complex curved areas, cowlings for example, but they do save having to mask over delicate metallic paint.

Looking forward to your next offering! I must pull my finger out and get painting some of the 10 or so that are built but awaiting some paint and decals.

Cheers,

Ian

Hello,John - My compliments to you on these fine looking builds of your 'Douglas' airliners.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.They are resplendent tributes to Douglas aircraft,TWA and a credit to you.All the very best,Paul.