Me P.1099B Heavy Revell 1/72

CedB

Right, I'm determined to do something easy and OOB and this one looks OK (ish) and weird. I'm hoping to try a few new techniques (for me) like drilling out cannons and gouache weathering.

128313-10189.jpg

Oh, and maybe some blobby mottling with my little used 0.2mm nozzle. Maybe.

Reviews and other builds have commented how nice the kit is, and I got bored counting how many time the guy said "lovely" in the review on Youtube. The sprues live up to his comments with little or no flash:

22962106084_1582d87ca2.jpg

23481749962_8251dda535.jpg

23294605970_369e33d514.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

and there's some lovely internal detail to mess about with:

23590313345_f08c7809f4_n.jpg 22962166274_137ebdce1d_n.jpgUntitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

As usual, apologies for the iPhone focus in some of the shots and if you click (double click?) on the image you should be able to see the full size picture on Flickr.

That's it for now. Anil posted recently about "The Man in the High Castle" on Amazon and as PC had also watched an episode I decided to have a look see. Mrs B is away for the weekend so the world's my Oyster. I'm in the middle of episode 2. More later (if they don't catch me...)

• Like 10

Great choice, Ced! I'll be following with great interest. I have the same kit but with a different boxing.

Are you aware this is a Luft'46 aircraft, which never left the drawing board? It would be a development of the Me 262, which was the first operational combat jet, used by the Luftwaffe in the end of WWII.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Crikey chaps, this one's gathering interest :)

I've started watching "The Man in the High Castle" on Amazon after Anil's post so I've been 'occupied' but it would be rude not to do something so I've had an hour or so this afternoon - see below.

Welcome everyone! :D

Looking forward to seeing what you with this Ced.

Karl

Hi Karl - at the moment it's an easy OOB build but hey, that hasn't happened for a long time...

Interesting... I have one of these in stash, which I might make when I get bored of Spitfires.

Hi Simon - "When you're bored of Spitfires, you're bored of..."

Great choice, Ced! I'll be following with great interest. I have the same kit but with a different boxing.

Are you aware this is a Luft'46 aircraft, which never left the drawing board? It would be a development of the Me 262, which was the first operational combat jet, used by the Luftwaffe in the end of WWII.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime - yes I did know thanks; I'm looking forward to being able to mess with the Whatif a bit, maybe. I've seen you're building up a stash of Luft '46 and can't wait to see some of the weirder ones get 'the Jaime treatment'!

Looks a cracking kit, never seen the aircraft before looks fairly mad!

Crack on now ced don't waste the weekend!

Rob

Hi Rob - oh, don't worry, it's not being wasted (apart, perhaps, from having to take Molly out!)

Me 262 on steroids :D. Got my :popcorn::). Nicely restrained* surface details, by the looks.

Cheers,
Alex.

* Unlike my plethora of emoticons

Hi Alex - looking good on the sprues!

That is a nice choice Ced, a 262 with upgunned weapon-sections, and lots of them.

Hi Julian - perhaps a good thing it never got off the drawing board!

I did one of those ages ago. The best thing of all you can really go to town with a bit of whifferey. I did mine in Hungarian markings

Hi Darby - hmmm, it's supposed to be easy!

I still have one of these in the stash. Though I much prefer the A version lol
Think I'll keep me eye on this.

Ashley

Hi Ashley - ah, the 'A' variant, the one with extended windows and flashing tail lights? :D

Revell's Luft '46 kits are generally very nice, I have built several and have both versions of this so... :popcorn:

Hi Nigel - I'm hoping this is going to be easy, fingers crossed.

Not my type of thing at all, but the craic will be good....so....... :popcorn:

Sean

Hi Sean - we'll try to keep you entertained!

One of the weird things about this kit is that the clear part for the canopy also forms a lot of the fuselage. Painting internals on the outside probably won't work so I've masked the inside of the canopy and will give it a spray and then do the framing as per usual:

23071070994_f62a3eeca0_z.jpg

Inside masking by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Not quite so easy then. I've marked and identified the parts for spraying and assembled a bit of the internals. Of course I dropped the smallest part whilst trying to fit it into my hand vice; now that's ironic. The carpet monster did not defeat me and I found it after only about 15 minutes and glued it on...

23700258665_3fb55ddce0.jpg 23617946531_3992816076.jpg

Carpet monster loses again! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr Part assembled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Right, time for food and more High Castle!

• Like 8

Good move on the internal masking, I hadn't realised the canopy was like this. It would look distinctly odd if big areas of clear plastic were visible inside the cockpit. I think I'll dig mine out of the stash and have a closer look while my lamb cooks. :bye:

• Like 1

Hi Ashley - ah, the 'A' variant, the one with extended windows and flashing tail lights? :D

I genuinely have no idea what that statement is about. I even looked up the A version in case but still no clue.

You know what that means...

You're my kind of crazy. This build is going to be awesome haha

Ashley

• Like 3

Early jets, Luft 46 or otherwise, are a passion so I'm on board :popcorn: .
I'm also of accord with 'The Man In The High Castle'. Very, very good. Is interrupting me from posting a WIP on my first model in 12 years or so. Happy viewing and happy modelling! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I believe it was Samuel Johnson who said 'When a man is tired of Spitfires, he is tired of modelling'.

It was indeed :D

Good move on the internal masking, I hadn't realised the canopy was like this. It would look distinctly odd if big areas of clear plastic were visible inside the cockpit. I think I'll dig mine out of the stash and have a closer look while my lamb cooks. :bye:

Thanks Nigel - odd it is!

I genuinely have no idea what that statement is about. I even looked up the A version in case but still no clue.

You know what that means...

You're my kind of crazy. This build is going to be awesome haha

Ashley

I thought your 'A' version was a joke Ashley and I've just looked it up - oops, that'll teach me! Sorry :D

Weird is good in my book so I will be following.

Martin

Ah Martian, welcome! :)

This looks like a nice kit Ced, shame about the scale, but you've got me interested anyway.

Cheers

John

PS I somehow missed your Meteor build until I saw it in the gallery! I say again, must look at the WIP page more frequently.

Hi John :) "Shame about the scale"? Eh, what? Good to have you aboard.

Early jets, Luft 46 or otherwise, are a passion so I'm on board :popcorn: .

I'm also of accord with 'The Man In The High Castle'. Very, very good. Is interrupting me from posting a WIP on my first model in 12 years or so. Happy viewing and happy modelling! :thumbsup:

Hi Tony - welcome to this, BM and back to modelling!

Hi Ced,

I have build this kit in the past and I must say that even as a Luft46, Revell has done an excellent job!!! The only thing that needs some attention is the paint-scheme.

Cheers

Shalako

Good news, thanks Shalako :)

For some reason my mojo is low at the moment and any attempt at modelling makes me ratty - I'm sure I'll get over this soon but please bear with me.

• Like 4

I have all of the Luftwaffe '46 kits. This is probably my favourite. This machine has some SERIOUS firepower!! Mind you, I wonder what it would have been like in the cockpit with those rear mounted 30mm cannons hammering away!

Allan

• Like 1

Hi Jaime - yes I did know thanks; I'm looking forward to being able to mess with the Whatif a bit, maybe. I've seen you're building up a stash of Luft '46 and can't wait to see some of the weirder ones get 'the Jaime treatment'!

Yes, I have quite a few Luft'46 kits now (and a few more in the wish list :) ). My interest was furthered by reading Aviation Classics' issue on Luftwaffe secret fighter projects. Unfortunately, the P.1099 by Messerschmitt is not mentioned, but I recommend this issue to anyone interested in Luft'46 fighter projects.

And thanks for your interest in my future builds and confidence in my modelling abilities to make something decent out of them :blush: With my usual building speed and considering all 2016 GBs I've signed to, I'm afraid you'll have to be patient for my Luft'46 builds... :unsure:

For some reason my mojo is low at the moment and any attempt at modelling makes me ratty - I'm sure I'll get over this soon but please bear with me.

I know how you feel, Ced. I feel the same frequently, at 23:00 or later, when I finally am free for doing some modelling on working days...

Looking forward to your future posts. I've already took good note on your tip about painting the clear parts :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I recommend listening to a David Bowie album, preferably Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars or, 'Low'.

• Like 2

I have all of the Luftwaffe '46 kits. This is probably my favourite. This machine has some SERIOUS firepower!! Mind you, I wonder what it would have been like in the cockpit with those rear mounted 30mm cannons hammering away!

Allan

They are attractive aren't they? I think it was the cannons that attracted me to the kit and I think you're right about the probable noise... how the gunner was supposed to control that lot we will never know :)

Yes, I have quite a few Luft'46 kits now (and a few more in the wish list :) ). My interest was furthered by reading Aviation Classics' issue on Luftwaffe secret fighter projects. Unfortunately, the P.1099 by Messerschmitt is not mentioned, but I recommend this issue to anyone interested in Luft'46 fighter projects.

And thanks for your interest in my future builds and confidence in my modelling abilities to make something decent out of them :blush: With my usual building speed and considering all 2016 GBs I've signed to, I'm afraid you'll have to be patient for my Luft'46 builds... :unsure:

I know how you feel, Ced. I feel the same frequently, at 23:00 or later, when I finally am free for doing some modelling on working days...

Looking forward to your future posts. I've already took good note on your tip about painting the clear parts :)

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime - you're proving my confidence in your builds all the time :)

I recommend listening to a David Bowie album, preferably Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars or, 'Low'.

Thanks Simon :)

Sending you a (virtual) packet of mojo filters...

Thanks Alex :)

I did wake up this morning thinking about the cockpit assembly and painting so there are glimmers there... perhaps Alex's filters arrived overnight!

• Like 5