1:48 Spitfire MkIx T Biggin Hill Heritage Hanger

RMCS

Built for a friend this was a challenging and enjoyable build. This particular aircraft is MJ627 '9G Q' from the Biggin Hill Heritage hanger. Built using the 1:48 Hasegawa Spitifire MkIX and the Brigade Models Resin T9 conversion set. To add a bit more detail I also used the Eduard PE upgradearrow-10x10.png set and resin MkIX cockpit.

20151209_110134-1-01_zps7p21buvz.jpeg

I used Vallejo Air paints and a myriad of aftermarket decals to replicate the correct aircraft. The resin conversion set was sublime and very little fettling or filler was needed. It went against the grain to use only the wings and undercarriage of the Hasegawa kit, but needs must. I am really pleased hop it turned out. Having discussed the final look of the model I decided not to go with a totally clean aircraft and wanted to add some weathering to it to add more depth and to represent the aircraft as it may have looked in 1945.

20151209_110211-1-01_zpsz7hvgqqp.jpeg

20151209_110456-1-1-01_zpsxa90dqje.jpeg

20151209_110220_001-1-01_zpsgdvmphzw.jpe

20151209_110443-1-01_zpsi6iaqgbx.jpeg

20151209_110420-1-01_zpsmhtnbsnh.jpeg

20151209_110251-1-01_zpsfwnjpvfu.jpeg

20151209_110342-1-01_zpsalk5fg2g.jpeg

• Like 11

Hello,RMCS - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Spitfire'.The model and display is quite amazing.When I first viewed this subject I thought I was looking at a fine painting of a Spitfire.My second study confirmed that I was viewing a finely painted Spitfire.This is a true work of art.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

That's an impressive piece of eye candy!

To my eyes, it looks more like the kind of expensive airbrush work that you can see on American 'big rig' trucks than a realistic depiction of a working aircraft. Beautiful work, just not my personal cuppa. ;-)

Btw, if the model is really intended to show it as it might have looked in '45, the crowbar shouldn't be red…

Slick modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

It does look like a stylised painting. Obviously that's the effect you were aiming for because of course it wasn't a two seater back in 1945.

Great artistic interpretation. Modelling as an art form.

• Like 1

That's a lot of work. I don't think I've ever seen one before. You've made an excellent job. I like the finish. Joe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"

Great artistic piece of work.....and the obsession about the red crowbar continues!!! Well done.

Well let's be honest,the red crowbar doesn't really matter on this one does it?

If it had been modelled "historically",i.e "1945",it wouldn't be a two seat Tr.9 and it wouldn't have a red crowbar.

However,if you search one of the aviation photograph websites for pictures of MJ627,you'll also see that although

it is now a Tr.9,it cerrtainly doesn't look anything like the gentleman has presented it here either.

• Like 1