Lightning vs Spitfire

Planebuilder62

It may have been a PRXIX. I read a similar thing a while ago to see how Lightnings would cope against P51's in Indonesia or somewhere. Apparently the Spit did quite well.

edit; just seen PRXIX in original thread. Ooops, silly me.

Edited by Darby

IIRC the Lightning had great difficulty downing the Spit - the IR missiles couldn't aquire it and the Lightning couldn't get in a position to use its cannon.

However, the Lightning could break combat at will, no way for the Spit to down the Lighning.

The method arrived at for the Lighning the cope with the Spit (and, presumably the Indonesian P-51?) was to get under the Spit and accelerate and climb using afterburner immediately in front of it to 'topple' the Spitfire in the jet wash.

I suppose the Spit could have just turned inside the Lightning - until it (the Lightning) ran out of fuel...... :analintruder:

At least that's what I remember reading, many years ago.

Ken

• Like 2

There is a picture of the Lightning and Spit in the book 'Spitfire' by Alfred Price. I'm away from my references at the mo but I'm sure it's one of the three 19's that ended up with BOBMF.

Trevor

• Like 2

It's PS853 you want and the story is told in Spitfire At War.

PS853 was with the Central Fighter Establishment at Binbrook, intended as a gate guardian but maintained airworthy instead. When the Indonesian confrontation brewed up the question of meeting Indonesian Mustangs with Lightnings arose. The Spitfire was used in the trials in 1962.

A googling reveals PS853 in Dark Earth / Dark Green with type D roundels and flash, fuselage serial was grey. Red spinner with white backplate. Light undersides but not sure of the colour. Type D roundels and black serials underwing.

Edited by RJP
  • Like 8

This is how PS853 looked like in those days

http://www.airteamimages.com/supermarine-spitfire_PS853_united-kingdom---royal-air-force_99167_large.html

The picture above was taken in 1962, the trials occured in 1963. The picture shown in Price's "The Spitfire Story" taken at CFE show the same scheme as above.

The picture I mentioned can be seen on this web page that also tells the story of the involvment of PS853 in the simulated combats with the Lightning

https://defenceoftherealm.wordpress.com/2014/12/11/the-spitfire-the-lightning-how-two-british-icons-met-in-simulated-combat/

• Like 3

never heard of this.......how cool!

imagine that a high tech fighterplane having to combat a WW2 relic....did it actually happen?

Never with a performance difference like the one between a Lightning and a Spitfire but there have been several clashes between what were then modern combat jets and WW2 veterans in Korea and in other wars. And while there have been a few victories for the prop fighters, generally the jets came on top.

Interesting stuff, Giorgio. Looks like a yellow spinner, though, in the lower pic of PS853 from your second link.

The spinner is sure not red, yellow is a good bet, guess that this detail changed over time. As PS853 was in the camo scheme for quite a long time it would be useful to know when that picture was taken. I've seen another picture of her with a light spinner, unfortunately the caption did not report the date.

PS853 moved to Historic Aircraft Flight in 1957, painted dk green, dk earth, sky under with a light spinner - probably sky, black serial and D-type roundels. Moved to Central Fighter Establishment in Apr 1958 as gate guard, but was kept flying in the same scheme with fuselage titles. Overhauled in 1961 and returned to CFE in the Nov 62 in the same scheme but with red spinner with white backplate, white serial and no fuselage titles. This is how it was flown against the Lightning in 1963.

By 1966 it transferred to the BBMF and roundels had been changed to represent the wartime type, a sky tail band was added, yellow wing leading edges, serial became black and the white backplate had been painted red.

Peter

Edited by dambuster
  • Like 3

Thanks Peter, this clears everything. So the light spinner was before it was painted red.

IIRC PS853 also had a light spinner when wearing the PRU blue scheme with THUM

Agree, that's what the photos show. It is my assumption that the spinner is probably sky when the aircraft was first camouflaged, as it doesn't look quite as bright as the THUM photos. I should have said that the info came from 'Spitfire Survivors' Vol 2 which shows the different schemes in photos.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi,

I was station flight armourer at CFE West Raynham through the summer of 1962.

PS853 was on strength and flown regularly by Flt Lt Sollit (OC Stn Flight) and Grp Capt Crowley Milling throughout that period.We moved to Binbrook autumn 1962 where PS853 continued to fly. I was posted to Tengah Jan 63.

Sorry I can't remember the colour scheme.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have details of the Lightning used in the trials? (The photos in the links show two different Lightnings posing beside the Spitfire, so maybe one or both were taken at open days or for publicity purposes?)

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 9:15 AM, ozothenutter said:

never heard of this.......how cool!

imagine that a high tech fighterplane having to combat a WW2 relic....did it actually happen?

A Skyraider downed a MiG-17 in the Vietnam war, so I've heard. Apparently the MiG-17 flew head on towards a pair of Skyraiders who just let rip with their 20mm cannons and nailed the Mig.

thanks

Mike

11 hours ago, Mikemx said:

A Skyraider downed a MiG-17 in the Vietnam war, so I've heard. Apparently the MiG-17 flew head on towards a pair of Skyraiders who just let rip with their 20mm cannons and nailed the Mig.

Also, I seem to recall Tomcats downing some Zero's in a documentary called ""The Final Countdown"".  ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hook said:

Also, I seem to recall Tomcats downing some Zero's in a documentary called ""The Final Countdown"".  ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Yes, although when I saw the Zero's were wearing historically inaccurate markings the whole film ceased to have any believability.....

:coat:

• Like 5

On 29/01/2017 at 8:26 PM, ClaudioN said:

One is an AFDU F Mk. 3, the other is a 145 Sqn./226 OCU F. Mk. 1.

I'd go with the first.

Thanks Claudio, I agree. The AFDU Lightning photo looks like it could've been taken during the trials, judging by the personnel.