Fieseler Fi-156 Storch SMER 1/72

CedB

Looking for an easy build I took the SMER (re-boxed Heller) Storch out of the box... and then the fun started. One of my favourite aircraft, I had a search on BM and found this thread discussing the captured Storch used by Air Vice Marshal Harry Broadhurst and used to ferry Churchill around Europe. Had to be done, WiP thread here.

Here's a link to

on YouTube and some shots of the finished article.

Primed with AK Interactive white, paint is decanted H24 rattle can airbrushed and hand brushed Mr Hobby Dark Brown and H30 Dark Green. Finished with W&N Matt varnish hand brushed. Transfers are Xtradecal, mostly.

I hope you like it, comments welcomed!

23590844411_75a8c5cc3a_z.jpg

23673323855_ab39ff6010_z.jpg

23673351145_b175ee69a7_z.jpg

23305395589_559d5bd212_z.jpg

23647299606_67631e5067_z.jpgUntitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 31

Ced, when all is said and done, this Storch is a real gem!

I never knew this paint scheme existed, but it sure is different!

Congrats for such a great result with this ancient kit!

JR

• Like 1

Great build of a beautiful aircraft, Ced! Congrats :)

You mentioned you used W&N Mate Varnish. I had a try with this recently and, though it produces a fantastic matt finish, it seems the granular texture left some grain spots on the kit's surface. Possibly my fault due to insufficient dilution (I used IPA). Did you find this effect or did you do something to avoid it?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

The heft that was Churchill, and this wispy lil' thing would not seem to be a match made in heaven. Mind you, it also hosted Musso at one point too did it not? Tough old bird obviously.

Entertaining build, and great result achieved, thanks Ced.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

Good job.

Nice to see it has completed the acrobatics it was performing at the end of the build thread. Did Churchill authorize that or was the pilot just showing off.

Anyway, always fun to watch your builds. Looking forward to the next.

• Like 1

Ced, when all is said and done, this Storch is a real gem!

I never knew this paint scheme existed, but it sure is different!

Congrats for such a great result with this ancient kit!

JR

Thanks Jean, very kind :)

That's a cracking build ced, and build thread

Nice work

Rob

Thanks Rob, glad you enjoyed the thread and thanks for watching :)

Great build of a beautiful aircraft, Ced! Congrats :)

You mentioned you used W&N Mate Varnish. I had a try with this recently and, though it produces a fantastic matt finish, it seems the granular texture left some grain spots on the kit's surface. Possibly my fault due to insufficient dilution (I used IPA). Did you find this effect or did you do something to avoid it?

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime :) I checked my finish and it looks OK. Thinned 50/50 with water from the condensing tumble dryer as it's purer than the hard tap water in this area. You can see it's not covered too well and, despite brushing across the wing, seems to have settled into the dips and produced a 'weathered effect' - I got lucky!

Great build Ced, glad you got over the dodgy gut syndrome.

Nice pics mate.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Simon.

Thanks Simon, feeling better thanks, very kind :)

The heft that was Churchill, and this wispy lil' thing would not seem to be a match made in heaven. Mind you, it also hosted Musso at one point too did it not? Tough old bird obviously.

Entertaining build, and great result achieved, thanks Ced.

Cheers,

Mike

Hey Mike. It was a bit of a squeeze getting 'Mr Churchill' in (see the video) and I must admit that my 'interpretation' had to have his arms sanded!

Cracking result Ced, certainly different. A nice wee bit of histoty learnt as well.

Sean

Thanks Sean :) I must admit that BM has increased my interest in the history behind the models; no bad thing!

Once again, Ced, you've proven yourself the master of difficult kits, and what a great story behind the unusual (and really cool) scheme.

Cookie you're too kind... no, really! :)

Good job.

Nice to see it has completed the acrobatics it was performing at the end of the build thread. Did Churchill authorize that or was the pilot just showing off.

Anyway, always fun to watch your builds. Looking forward to the next.

Thanks Phil :)

I did think about adding a comment to the effect that 'that's how I like my women' but you'll have to work out the first bit 'cos I'm too shy :blush:

Thanks again for your comments, company and support. If you want to join me in my next attempt to do an EASY OOB BUILD then come on over to the Me P.1099 here.

• Like 2

Would be good to add the "loopy" photo to the RFI above - shows off the undersides of the a/c with nice contrasty background - and is rather of a piece with the unusual subject matter.

Looking great: cracking build, as Wallace would no doubt say.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve :) I'd be interested to see a pic of the Kora decals to see if I've got close.

Ced, just had a check & they're LF decals rather than Kora, sorry for the dud steer. An ebay auction for the LF decals if you want a squizzy. Scroll down for a better look. :) All in all I think you've got it pretty right.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks Stew :) it's those huge barn door wings isn't it? I'm sure Mr Churchill can't be blamed for anything!

HI Steve :) Thanks for that link... Phew, looks like I can rest easy.

• Like 1

Hi Ced. I really enjoyed the WIP on this, and your Meteors. Finally brought me out of 'lurking' and gave me enthusiasm to get modelling. I hope to make a Spanish Civil War Storch and had wondered which kit to get..this has made me really think that the Heller/Smer is a good choice!

I used to live in Batheaston - now near Brisbane Australia so some nostalgia attached too. Thanks for sharing really inspiring builds. :goodjob:

• Like 1

Hi Tony

Thanks for the kind comments and I'm pleased it's encouraged you back to the hobby :)

I think this model is said to be better than the Academy offering which, apparently, has a dihedral on the wings - they're hard enough to get right without that!

Batheaston to Brisbane! Can't say I blame you mate!