monogram 1/48 b-24j liberator

finally after 4-5 months of on and off building finally got this one finished. will admit did nearly beat me a few times and was several times just had to put it down and walk away, hence why took so long.
found the kit fought me several times and some fit/kit issues, firstly the nose and tail turret are in two half's leaving a huge seam line that can not avoid especially as the framing goes the opposite way so no way of hiding it other than to cover it I felt, the fuselage isn't the greatest of match ups but a bit of filler and sanding that one was solved. the bomb bay doors don't fit and do not follow the contour on the bomb bay!! and yes its raised detail overall thought its a kit that defiantly shows its age and is still around today but in the d version, certainly a kit that needs a to be updated and modernised I feel and if was I would love to do another, though have no idea where would put it, cant find any where for this one at the moment lol.
other than the issues above happy with final build, mind did struggle to find decals for the j version as the box ones were missing but like buses cant find any then 3 or more come along at once and after looking for a year found some a show. decided to got with olive drab as felt that due to age of the kit and its flaws that a nmf would look rough and if anything highlight to many bad points.
with scheme chosen I also wanted to try and use different tones of olive drab and to make it look very worn and used for this I the main colour with some Tamiya buff mixed in and then used the dot method with oils , then finally put some exhaust streaking down which used plenty of images to try get right.
the tail was a nightmare as after doing the yellow then the black it had leaked so had to redo a few times but got there in the end.

but after many insults thrown at it and several times being thrown to the side I go on and managed to finish it and am somewhat happy with the results, would say its not one my best but glad its done.

P1110185.jpg

P1110186.jpg

P1110187.jpg

P1110188.jpg

P1110190.jpg

P1110191.jpg

P1110192.jpg

• Like 23

Hello,Batcode - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Liberator'.Another Monogram classic to admire.She may have caused a few headaches along the way but your efforts have resulted in a splendid tribute to this classic type.A great piece of artistic licence on the nose turret.The cover looks most effective.All the best,Paul.

I had no idea that there was a 1/48 Liberator. You've certainly done a marvellous job of it, is the kit the same era as their 1/48 B-17 and B-29? The other thing I noticed, which I never knew before, is the way that the main undercarriage retracts in a 'conventional' manner rather than into the extended engine nacelles like most other multi-engined aircraft.

I had no idea that there was a 1/48 Liberator. You've certainly done a marvellous job of it, is the kit the same era as their 1/48 B-17 and B-29? The other thing I noticed, which I never knew before, is the way that the main undercarriage retracts in a 'conventional' manner rather than into the extended engine nacelles like most other multi-engined aircraft.

yes believe it was out the same sort of time. the moulds date back to 1976 so due an update lol.

thanks to all for the comments

very neat job, don't see many of these built....

finally after 4-5 months of on and off building finally got this one finished. will admit did nearly beat me a few times and was several times just had to put it down and walk away, hence why took so long.
found the kit fought me several times and some fit/kit issues, firstly the nose and tail turret are in two half's leaving a huge seam line that can not avoid especially as the framing goes the opposite way so no way of hiding it other than to cover it I felt, the fuselage isn't the greatest of match ups but a bit of filler and sanding that one was solved. the bomb bay doors don't fit and do not follow the contour on the bomb bay!! and yes its raised detail overall thought its a kit that defiantly shows its age and is still around today but in the d version, certainly a kit that needs a to be updated and modernised I feel and if was I would love to do another, though have no idea where would put it, cant find any where for this one at the moment lol.
other than the issues above happy with final build, mind did struggle to find decals for the j version as the box ones were missing but like buses cant find any then 3 or more come along at once and after looking for a year found some a show. decided to got with olive drab as felt that due to age of the kit and its flaws that a nmf would look rough and if anything highlight to many bad points.

the turrets are a right PITA. You could have done a RAF 100 Group one, they had the nose turrets sealed up with canvas...

9_6_a1.jpg

Bill Koster does or did do a series of upgrades for the the beast, including new vacform turrets.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/flaviation/Monogram-1-48-B-24J.php

scroll down for pics.

the real thing has lap jointed panels, so the raised panel lines are not that bad.

frouch_b-24h_22.jpg

from http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/b-24/b-24_walk2.shtml

also shows the weird 'roller doors' of tthe bomb bay well.

I've had one of these beasts stashed since erm...1981. I was put off by the damn turrets too!

for anyone else, B-24's are a blinkin nightmare of bewildering changes ,different turrets,noses, windows, nose doors that open in or out etc etc ..there's a book on it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Consolidated-Mess-Illustrated-Nose-turreted-Production/dp/8361421165

great to see this done

cheers

T

congrats on completing this monster,looks mighty fine.i completed the 'd' version a few months ago which I converted to a 'j' I know what you mean about the dodgy turret seams and bay doors,i left mine open in the end

I have pics of such covers so your solution is accurate.

Bill Koster is alive and well. I have their H conversion for this J kit on the way from the USA right now. He does a set of replacements for the J as well.

The project I am gearing up for is the PB4Y-2 Privateer, again based on this. looks scary in the box

It looks great to me !! Thanks for posting. I have the same old kit. From what I can remember, Squadron may have replacement clear pieces to solve the seam problem but I will have to verify. Once again.... GREAT WORK !! Bob H.

I have pics of such covers so your solution is accurate.

Bill Koster is alive and well. I have their H conversion for this J kit on the way from the USA right now. He does a set of replacements for the J as well.

The project I am gearing up for is the PB4Y-2 Privateer, again based on this. looks scary in the box

yes did see the set but funds are limited , so had to go with a cheaper option lol

It looks great to me !! Thanks for posting. I have the same old kit. From what I can remember, Squadron may have replacement clear pieces to solve the seam problem but I will have to verify. Once again.... GREAT WORK !! Bob H.

squadron only do the main canopy same as falcon as brought there set only to of wasted my money!!!!

thanks to all for the comments