RAF P-8A Poseidon any more news ?

Geoff_B

Just wondering if there has been any further clarification since the SDSR on the planned P-8A requirement ?

Its come to light that the Shadow force will be expanded from 5 airframes to 8 by converting one of the Super King Air trainers already in service and by purchasing an extra pair of new built aircraft.

In the same Flight article it mentions that the Sentinel fleet may drop from 5 to 4 airframes at the end of next year although that may change as they also say the P-8 buy won't have provision for the AAS system for overland surveillance initially. An interesting choice of words which makes me wonder if additional P-8's may be acquired with the AAS capability to directly replace Sentinel that can then also complement the MPA force as opposed to compromise it ?

Just wondered it anybody else had seen anything with additional information on the procurement, as like most things the devil is in the detail and I guess we won't get much until a deal is signed for the actual purchase.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/extended-raf-shadow-fleet-to-include-trainer-convers-419937/

Thank you for sharing the informitive article.

I think you will find the full details of the review are still being worked out.

I do not think contracts have been awarded, the SDR was a list of intentions at that point.

If contract discussions do not go as intended I am sure what has been planned will change in detail or even substance.

Dare I say that it was for public consumption at that moment in time?

Nigel

Oh i know much of SDSR is intentionally vague, as the devil is in the detail with these things, the interseting bit is how much donkey work has actually been done in the background, somwtimes little to none, others quite a bit as the Shadow expansion shows.

Anyway just as as i ask i see that the Minister is in the US meeting his counterpart and discussing the P-8 issue !

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/air-space/2015/12/11/fallon-carter-p8-russia-submarine-uk/77157960/

One interesting thing about this area of the SDR is the platforms and uses.

With Sentinal and Poseiden there appears to be some overlap, especially if the P8 develops overland capability.

The Shadow and the RAF/ AAC Islanders must also have some overlap.

The Europeans, Germany, France and ourselves may have missed a trick by not developing the A330 for AEW and Rivet Joint activities.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Nigel

The Europeans, Germany, France and ourselves may have missed a trick by not developing the A330 for AEW and Rivet Joint activities.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Nigel

Genuine question, do you think there would be an apptite from those two nations for a Rivet Joint type A330 ? Maybe France but I am not sure Germany will want to spend the money.

It always amazes me how much discussion in this area focuses on the airframes. You'd think in this day and age, where Google can deploy a cloud platform anywhere in the world by dropping off a shipping container and connecting it to power and cooling, that 90% of the effort would be in the computing and sensor bit, and 10%or less in the "scabbing it onto an airframe" element. All you have to worry about is available power and "field of view" of the sensor arrays...

bestest,

M.

Basically that's because airframes are more interesting to look at, and are the platform that everything else depends upon. 90% of the effort is indeed in the "computing" - the Command Control Communications and intelligence. Probably much the same percentage of cost. However, there is much more to it than just scabbing on a few antennae. You mention power and cooling, but ensuring non-interference is even more of a problem, And the integration of any single system into the overall package.

• 2 weeks later...

Been announced this week at least 3 will be in service by 2020, starting from 2017, and we may get 2 leased from the US even sooner.

Nice to see the UK Govt. give something the right priority for once. An island nation without maritime patrol capabilities is preposterous...

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/three-maritime-patrol-aircraft-to-be-in-service-by-2020/

Edited by alpine_modeller
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder what specialities THESE P8's will have compared to ya' bog standard american off-the-shelf jet.... mmmmmm.

A tea urn would be the most likely - the P-8 mission system has it's roots in the one designed for the Nimrod MRA4, British aircrew are already flying the P-8 (And put together a scratch team which won the USN anti-submarine competition) so I'd imagine the aircraft would be pretty much OTS

• Like 2

Shambles.

Why is it a shambles? The leasing was only ever a rumour, which has now been dispelled - we have no negative news on the purchase itself, so thats still going ahead as planned...

Cant really call the government not sticking to a rumour a "shambles" really, imho...

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

So the RAAF is getting 15?  I wonder whether the RAF will place a follow on order in the future.  Bearing in mind that the RN is going to have ships with no anti-ship missile for the foreseeable future they will need all the maritime support they can get.

• 2 weeks later...