RAF C130 / Hercules (1/72 Italeri, lots of pics)

Here's my attempt at a Herc, modern era.

This thing is Huuuuuuuuuuge! And given my photo set up (an iPhone) a bit of a challenge to get good pics of.

Quite enjoyable to build, other than a lot of filler/sanding at the wing roots and in the middle of the fuselage.

Hope you like!

Rob

IMG_0788_zpsflzuu4d5.jpg

IMG_0791_zpsqghy615c.jpg

IMG_0793_zpsritleuyo.jpg

IMG_0794_zpseddutn8z.jpg

IMG_0796_zpsgwu1gdxb.jpg

IMG_0798_zpsdn6ztfdo.jpg

IMG_0801_zpsc8yy9f2r.jpg

IMG_0803_zpsrug65tb3.jpg

IMG_0804_zpszwaotkvu.jpg

IMG_0805_zpsp4aodoyh.jpg

IMG_0807_zps9yz9tht5.jpg

IMG_0808_zpsrtm3vw9o.jpg

• Like 33

Nice job Rob,.....always nice to see an RAF Herky Bird and it does look good in the grey scheme. Can I just say that the J version doesn`t carry the under wing fuel tanks,.....sorry bout that!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

can't see the pics (pesky work web blocker), you're correct re the external tanks for a grey ac, but external tanks are now fitted to some (not all) later green Mk 4s

John

Hiya John,

You are of course correct,.....I had not noticed that the tanks had been re introduced recently onto the J`s and therefore I apologise for bringing this up Rob,...please don`t think that I`m criticising your model as that was most definitely not the case, I was just trying to help.

Cheers

Tony

That's a thoroughly impressive Herc! Excellent build and finish.

Maybe it's not too late to fill in and retouch that rather obvious joint above the front windscreen?

Otherwise, an excellent build and finish! Now, where do you display it? ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

Fantastic model!

I'm going to be sad to see the Hercs go, I never get tired of watching them skim over the Somerset levels, well below the tops of the hillocks.

Ben

Under current plans they're not going anywhere soon as the OSD has been revised to 2035 :)

Nice job Rob,.....always nice to see an RAF Herky Bird and it does look good in the grey scheme. Can I just say that the J version doesn`t carry the under wing fuel tanks,.....sorry bout that!

Cheers

Tony

Am afraid I need to correct you there Tony.They certainly do carry the external tanks,however I do concede that it's only recently that they had us fit them.Not all of the fleet have them but the plumbing is there if required.......

Neil

Hiya John,

You are of course correct,.....I had not noticed that the tanks had been re introduced recently onto the J`s and therefore I apologise for bringing this up Rob,...please don`t think that I`m criticising your model as that was most definitely not the case, I was just trying to help.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony & John

Well spotted! I was in the 'zone' & the tanks were on before I knew it!

I used a variety of reference pics, some showing Hercs with & some without the tanks (and +/- the refuelling probe thingy).

My aim was to recreate this bird, which shows her sans tanks:

86492.jpg

That's a thoroughly impressive Herc! Excellent build and finish.

Maybe it's not too late to fill in and retouch that rather obvious joint above the front windscreen?

Otherwise, an excellent build and finish! Now, where do you display it? ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim

In my defence, the gap doesn't look to bad in the flesh [but I agree is rather bad in the pics!!].

I had a proper nightmare filling the wing roots & various other cracks, and I think I'd had enough.

Plus I was worried about wrecking the glass. Maybe one day I'll attend to it.

Cheers

Initially the J didn't carry the 6000lb External (Sergeant Fletcher) tanks owing to the fact that it is much more fuel efficient than the earleir models.

Sadly Corporate knowledge had been lost - on the K we would use Aux tank (wing shoulder tank) fuel before Ext tank fuel because the Ext tanks gave you wing bending relief. Indeed we would maintain 500 - 1000 lbs weight differential between the outboard (1 and 2 tanks) and the inboard (3 and 4 tanks) for this very reason.

The direct result on the J of not having the Ext tanks is that the wing shoulder joints have become knackered far earlier than they would otherwise have.

Hence their refittment.

• Like 4

Fantastic model!

I'm going to be sad to see the Hercs go, I never get tired of watching them skim over the Somerset levels, well below the tops of the hillocks.

Ben

They are not going to go anytime soon.

Only a total idiot would think you could replace Albert with A400.

Then again, sadly there are plenty of idiots out there...

• Like 2

Initially the J didn't carry the 6000lb External (Sergeant Fletcher) tanks owing to the fact that it is much more fuel efficient than the earleir models.

Sadly Corporate knowledge had been lost - on the K we would use Aux tank (wing shoulder tank) fuel before Ext tank fuel because the Ext tanks gave you wing bending relief. Indeed we would maintain 500 - 1000 lbs weight differential between the outboard (1 and 2 tanks) and the inboard (3 and 4 tanks) for this very reason.

The direct result on the J of not having the Ext tanks is that the wing shoulder joints have become knackered far earlier than they would otherwise have.

Hence their refittment.

Thanks for that excellent insight,.......is this the reason why the undersides of the outer wings were often covered with white frost upon landing, covering the serial number?

Cheers

Tony