Revell 1/48 Tornado GR1

Hi folks,

I was happily putting an AMK Kfir C2 together when a Tornado subrepticiously crept up on my table.

I couldn't resist its brutish charm, and a weekend later, there it was:

tornadogr1001.JPG

Some grey paint(s) later:

tornadogr1002.JPG

tornadogr1003.JPG

tornadogr1004.JPG

The laser rangefinder is from Italeri kit.

And now, it's masking time. Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring...

tornadogr1006.JPG

Really boring...

tornadogr1007.JPG

tornadogr1009.JPG

And now for some Gunze dark green (H330):

tornadogr1010.JPG

tornadogr1011.JPG

Masks away!

tornadogr1012.JPG

tornadogr1013.JPG

tornadogr1014.JPG

tornadogr1015.JPG

tornadogr1016.JPG

The flaps are on:

tornadogr1017.JPG

tornadogr1018.JPG

tornadogr1019.JPG

tornadogr1020.JPG

Next, the slats and I'll start the loooong decalling process, thanks to the Xtradecals stencils sheet.

If anybody could point me to a RAF 1500l external fuel tank, I'd be delighted...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 8

Thanks!

At Sea: no, I'll use the small jugs, but thanks again.

Shaun: I didn't intend to initially, but a three-jugged Tornado seems now quite a good idea.

• Like 1

That's a nice GR1 model, but I'm supprised the eagle eyed amongst you haven't spotted the fin ECM blocks are of the IDS variant the kit provides the RAF GR1 tail fin ECM which should of been used. Still a great kit just a shame Revell forgot to put the Laser glass in the GR4 kit silly billies.

Clive

• Like 1

I did spot the mistake with regards you the tail fin ECM.

I must admit though, I have the new gr4 kit but haven't checked if the instructions are correct on this kit.

Out of interest how do I go about getting the missing clear part.?

Edited by EV2UK

That's a nice GR1 model, but I'm supprised the eagle eyed amongst you haven't spotted the fin ECM blocks are of the IDS variant the kit provides the RAF GR1 tail fin ECM which should of been used.

Clive

Modeling 101: check your documentation.

:hanging:

Also.... What is going on with the top of the tail fin itself.

The Tornado has a rather sharp tail fin... Even the IDS versions.. How did Revell get this do wrong.?

And don't get me started on the rear CRT screens

I think Revell cocked up on the CRT screens as they seem to me to be a bit on the small side, plus the 41 SQN bird has the large moving map display and not the small round one provided but hey hey that's not for here this kids doing a grand job on a plane that brings back memories for me and she's going to look very schweet when finished.

Clive

• Like 3

this kids doing a grand job on a plane that brings back memories for me and she's going to look very schweet when finished.

Clive

Thanks Clive, but I don't see any kid around here, just a middle aged fat balding man (but not Jeremy Clarkson).

Cheers,

S.

:winkgrin: Hey man your doing ok, this is a great little kit and I'm looking forward to seeing the finish she's going to do be something to be proud of bud :thumbsup2:

Clive

Well, I sure hope so.

It will be my second Revell Tornado (out of a dozen or so, as I intend to do every camouflage the Tornado has worn).

Cheers,

S.

Now with some decals:

tornadogr1024.JPG

tornadogr1025.JPG

tornadogr1026.JPG

tornadogr1027.JPG

Now, it's time for the quingigillion stencils (sigh).

Shaun, would you happen to have any pylons left?

Cheers,

S.

Edited by Sebastien
  • Like 1

Looking good,I can cast you some if you need them.

Do you realize the nose cone rear joint line is not the one were the kits cone is attached? You need to fill the joint line and move it black to the next panel line

Tornadonose_zpsbaaed685.jpg

Tornado%20real%20nose_zpsj6pg5sep.jpg

Shaun.

Great to see these Tornados in the green/grey wraparound, will be doing mine in the same scheme, just haven't decided on the squadron yet. Shaun, good tip on the radome, I'd almost certainly have missed that.

Ian.

• Like 1

Great to see these Tornados in the green/grey wraparound, will be doing mine in the same scheme, just haven't decided on the squadron yet. Shaun, good tip on the radome, I'd almost certainly have missed that.

Ian.

No probs, Seen loads of excellent builds with a short radome colour and it affects the look of the model. You also need to lengthen the channel for the cannon port.

Shaun.

Well, stencils amount to something close to cruel and unusual punishment.

I have a special fondness for Xtradecals walkways, which are very thin (good!) and have quite a free spirit (not that good), and are quite a pain in the subequatorial regions.

Whatever.

Now, the piccies:

tornadogr1028.JPG

tornadogr1029.JPG

tornadogr1030.JPG

tornadogr1031.JPG

I'm a bit afraid of repainting the nose along the correct line, I'm a disaster magnet...

And Shaun, could you pm me re your pylons?

Cheers,

Sebastien

• Like 2