An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

Ooh good, I've been waiting for this.

Just had a quick scan through, will have to read it all properly when I get a chance. Seems like plenty of us on here have a soft spot for the old Herc'. I have about 15 hours 'on type' myself, no pin badge yet though! (lying in the back trying to get some sleep, incredibly noisy if I recall).

Anyone on here old enough to remember the 25th Anniversary line up at Greenham Common?

Debs, you are probably too young, you missed a great day out. There were some crackers in the line up, including Snoopy (which I last saw over March with a funny great engine on one side, sad to hear he is no more). The 'Roman nose' C-130A and some very exotic foreigners, Brazil and Argentina spring to mind. That may also have been the same year the USAF upstaged everyone slightly (as usual) by dropping something on a parachute out the back of a HC-130, flying around in a circle and catching it again!

A great aircraft, I'm really looking forward to following the builds.

I will not make any sexist comments about the galley, honest.

I remember Greenham well. Every show from 76 till the finish. I have some slides. Yes the Jordanian and Israeli Hercs were adjacent. Lots of posturing. I used to get complimentary tickets via the ex, she knew the arena manager so we got VP's. Wish it was still going, Fairford is crap in comparison.

This was Waterbeach, late 70s

img030_zpsatcyxjvw.jpg

• Like 1

CF-104's.....Canadian Armed Forces, Tiger Romeos. My favourite Display Team, ever.

Except for the Blue Herons, obviously. :pirate:

I shouldn't be surprised that you were there, Herc's obviously got in your blood early.

Nice work on the flight deck (the model).

so...you went to school in Wycombe and did your "O" levels in '79 - same as me! I do know we didn't go to the same schools, I was at John Hampden! WHS or Lady Verney?

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Rick.

Oggie Mover huh?

I always liked working with 4624 - I was good friends one of your Cpls, Julie xxxx who lived in Blunsdon.

It was the UK MAMS Muppets that I (and, I suspect most Albert crews) wanted to euthanise!

Yep, Oggie I was! Left 2008.

UK MANS were "Challenging" at times. Some were ok.

I remember a Cpl JulieXXX, but can't remember here surname.

We always loved working Hercs, good food, good banter and great crews.

A couple of chaps stood out, but I can't remember their names now.

One was and old boy FS (must have been close to retirement!) and the other was a Loadie that always wore a Jesters hat!

He was on my first trip, Banak, and dragged me up top for the landing at back at Lyneham.

Great days.

Watching with interest.

Rick.

Good work with the flight deck Debs, Greenham Common had to be the best shows for me I attended from around 78 until Fairford.

Wish I had a camera back in them days!

Guy

I wonder how much actual 'looking' the etch people do on their subjects sometimes, it seems you get a lot of curatery with their 'eggs'

I had similar identity problems with the etch for the Scout/Wasp too

Still you have it under control

And I'm still watching and learning about Albert, that Sand and Poo scheme continues to resonate.

Just because it was on my maiden Herc flight :)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Seats!

.... I'll make up the squab cushions from plastikard:

....I'll pad it out with a piece of 20thou plastikard to represent the cushion:

May I suggest that you try using an epoxy putty or similar for making cushions ? I used a two part epoxy putty (for car repairs) to make the cushions in my Wessex build. Plastikard has it's place but it's much easier to get the worn and lived in look of seat cushions with a softer/more malleable medium.

I know nowt about Hercules (didn't think I was even remotely interested in them) but am enjoying the thread immensely

• Like 1

Thanks Hendie,

I'll have a go at that.

Which car filler do you use?

Personally I would use the green stuff epoxy putty or magic sculpt , really east to use and cheap and you can refine the creases and shape with water .

Nice build btw, one I'll keep an eye on :)

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks Hendie,

I'll have a go at that.

Which car filler do you use?

To be honest, I have no idea - it was just a generic two part mix that I picked up in Walmart. I'd guess that any of the other suggestions would work just as well.