An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

Given that build 2 will be a 1312 Flt tanker, here is a video of stuff that 1312 Flt does (specifically the South Sandwich Islands extension - something we would do after airdropping the mail to Grytviken on South Georgia).

Albeit this is a C-130J and for some strange reason the flight deck crew are wearing bone domes:

http://forces.tv/37187371

Posing for the camera?

Not wearing flying gloves either,sticky mitt prints everywhere I'll wager(Mrs M makes me wear DPM gloves to drive in 'coz I've got sticky-ish mitts)

One assumes the frame and glass thingy in the drivers' eyeline is a HUD?,not seen them on the old K's.

If so,J's are posh aren't they?

I had a look at the Italeri wings today.

Firstly, being of their time, they have fine raised panel lines so these needed to be rescribed. Then I turned to adding the Heritage resin nacelles.

You will remember that the Airfix wing needed quite a lot of modification in terms of the width and depth of the Airfix nacelle fairings (these being wider and deeper than the Heritage offerings) because, I am told, the Heritage nacelles were designed for the Italeri kit.

Hmmm...

Firstly, the Heritage nacelles are too long to be bonded directly to the Italeri wing. This necessitates either shortening the Heritage parts or cutting back the fairings on the wing flush with the leading edge. I elected to take the latter route.

The next problem is that the Heritage nacelles are way deeper than are the Italeri fairings - by about a millimetre on the outboard engine and by about 2mm on the inboard engine. Designed for the Italeri kit? Yeah right!

In order to keep the thrust lines correct I mounted the Heritage parts flush with the top of the fairings. Some building up of the lower part of the fairings will now be necessary.

DSCF1538a_zpsjgajmj4k.jpg

DSCF1538b_zpsyzsewqm6.jpg

DSCF1537_zpsiucjsiln.jpg

DSCF1536_zpswwr0lmur.jpg

It seems that nothing's ever simple with Albert kits...

• Like 7

These things are ment to test you Debs but I'm sure you will sort it !

Keep up the good work.

Guy

Painus butteus but kinda normal for we determined modifiers.

I might be tempted to cut the moulded on piece of upper wing/nacelle sections back a bit more with some additional structural stiffeners to let the filler (Plastic Paddingalike advised here) find a firm base, then simply rebuild the lower section to suit the engine mouldings

The new engines are rather dogsdoohdahs ain't they

That's quite a few hours you have under your belt on type, I wonder if any other manufacturer does this ?

Had many a good time down at Lynham watching Herc's. Remember one come into Shoreham when I was there it was a stretch one and when it come for it to leave it had to be timed right so there was no trains on the line at the end of the runway as she was using every inch of runway and she was quite close to the fence brilliant take off ! must of been on the limits of Shoreham's weight limits .

Guy

You get an ejection tie from Martin baker if you need to land in a different manner.
  • Like 1

You'll remember that the Nav's seat supplied by Italeri was purely of comedic value and in no way representative of the real thing, and that I had used one of the pilot's seat backs coupled to the Nav's seat base on the Snoopy flight deck.

Accordingly I decided to cast some up as well as the pedestal bases for the Nav's and Eng's seats:

DSCF1545_zpsijpxao7d.jpg

DSCF1549_zpsxjymxocd.jpg

I've also been working on the pilot's and Eng's seats using the stuff I cast earlier plus the Eduard etch:

DSCF1551_zpslxk0uu20.jpg

• Like 7

Primer!

After Much Prevarication (that's a village in the Cotswolds BTW), I finally got Snoopy into primer.. I used the Alclad Grey Primer + Microfiller that you recommended (thanks guys) and I must say I'm rather impressed with it. Having said that, one C-130 takes half a 120ml bottle so it isn't cheap!

Also, it doesn't half pong! Oh, and the fact that I used Cellulose Thinners to clean the airbrush means that my Kitchen will be out of bounds for the forseable future. Does anyoe want to hazard a guess what the half-life of the solvent fumes might be?

Anyhoo 'photos:

DSCF1560_zpstjl2gwkd.jpg

DSCF1559_zpsmbw9znbl.jpg

DSCF1558_zps6qkdyl41.jpg

DSCF1557_zps2zwyy2d2.jpg

DSCF1555_zpsqhlopcsr.jpg

DSCF1556_zpsf5zytk6x.jpg

It's now a round of micromeshing and surface imperfection filling. I always knew there would be work around the edges of the flap bays given that the Flightpath etch was designed for the Italeri (non-warped) wings.

However, given the way the bloody thing has fought me at every step, given the age, limitations and inaccuracies of the Airfix kit, I'm actually rather pleased at the way it's starting to come together.

• Like 21

Nice work Debs.

That Alcad Primer does the biz, but you are right , it does stink a bit. (I/we use the front room for modelling , well did) and even with a booth and extractor , it hung around like the proverbial stale bottom burp.

Simon.

• Like 1

Depends on how big yon kitchen is and what sort of extraction you have.

Our works paint shop is 40'x25',with both booths and cross vent blowers running,it takes 6 mins for

any VOC's to dissipate fully.

Try and get some gun wash to clean th'erbrush out with(have a chat with your local bodyshop).

It's just as good as celly thinners,but not as nasty.

Primarolla looks good Deb,I tend to use(at work and home)a fine type of Scotchbrite called "Mirlon".

It'll buff off overspray and leave a fine polished surface nicely keyed for the next squirt.

• Like 1

Oh lord a wonderful Hercules has appeared. I feel like a little boy that's gone to bed, woken up next day and peered through the curtains to find everything covered in a magical thick blanket of snow! The primer aint arf bought out the scribing details, flaps and all the other bits and bobs you've added. Will look even better with a bit of micromesh, lovely smooth finish you'll have. It's cracking stuff but it does pen and ink a bit. I think it's smelly half-life rivals Uranium 235.

• Like 2

There's lovely Corvid Girl

A treat worth the wait and no argument

But as ye say, a shame about the stink which is why all my spraying is done outdoors or at the end of the fully opened doors garage

Well worth it, a real beauty emerging here

• Like 1

Oh my, Snoops looks gorgeous.

I had missed a few days, so only just caught up with the Op Coldstare vid. What's that handle thing seen in the pilot's left hand towards the end, down by his / her side (almost looks like a collective!)? Seems to have some sort of ?trim hat on it? Steering a camera?

• Like 1

You mean this thing Crisp?

c-130j-hercules-cockpit-modernized_zpstw

No idea, it's specific to the J Model. I'm guessing it's the radar controller?

That's the boy.

I think it's the collective; the J has clearly ben converted to the superior form of flying controls ;-)

• Like 9