An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

Halfords Appliance white topcoat

On top of Alclad High build primer (clue, it doesn't. Build high) If you simply apply in lightly measured quantities, but gives a very flat even finish

Allow a b+++y decent time for the Alclad to flash off though, I might advise getting into one of the cammy ones before you come back and Snoopify the lost lamb

There is a queue behind me all with similar, but disparate advice

Best advice? Never ask for any ;)

p.s.

that is Alclad's White HB primer

Careful with that Debs, as Bill said earlier you do need to use those lightly measured quantities. The one & only time Mr.reallyhamfistedmodeller here used it, he didn't & subsequently had many a fun filled hour rescribing all the panel lines on the Fujimi Phantom that he'd managed to completely fill with the stuff!

I also like Halfords (or Hycote, much the same, but lots cheaper) white primers, but now tend to decant & airbrush the stuff. My reallyhamfistedness also rears it's ugly head when trying to use rattle cans!

Keith

• Like 1

True-er confession time

I love the (danger and) finish of the Alclad but in your shoes Debs I would probably use Tamiya's White aerosol primer

Acrylic and can be applied lightly, but I feel its orangepeelability is slightly higher than Alclad's

I am about to Alclad my hansom cab (next week, I'm not rushing)

Oh dear gods. :rolleyes:

Hmm I'm not about to try to decant stuff out of a bloody aerosol, that way madness (or total disaster) lies! I need an airbrush primer.

I'm leaning towards Tamiya White ATM.

Either that or I'll just etch prime just like I would a fibreglass sports car...

I'm suffering from a surfeit of Photocrappulology and the latest iteration of Flickr deserves a far more XRated version of its name than I can risk here

(Ladies present don't ya know)

So I haven't even started a WIP cos I'm so bebaggered with pB

I will risk one 'storysofar' shot but as I don't have a thread current to pop it in, where do you wannit?

I'm a bit peed off that you can't make it Debs, but to be fair it is at the limit of my "not too bad for an early start,- quite" range here in Brumshire

Will you be able to make Cosford for the Shropshire Modellers do?

My club usually get to nestle just under t'TSR2 and I often get my skull impaled on the bl=== VHF ant hanging under the nose

OuWWWWch

April...

edit

did I really just type VHS? Dohh

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Are you considering taking a Transport Fleet eye to their display options, whilst you while away the hours in the Mess?

See you there then, maybe even remind me of the Jetstream I forgotted :(

(Truly sorry 'bout that, I'll visit the bird in May when our MASC area have our tunnels and Cosford run. And grovel)

Debs

I've got some alclad white primer & microfilmer (which I confess I haven't tried yet and so I s'pose it might be said this post ain't very helpful - altho' that can also be said about many of my posts :)) - BUT I have used both the alclad grey and black versions and really liked them. They airbrush really nicely and cos they're lacquer based they dry really quickly and resist handling really well.

I think it's be good stuff to evenly cover up the different materials you've used. I might be tempted to give it a light initial coat of grey - it's inevitable that you'll have a few area that will need some more attention (at least it's inevitable if you're me) and you'll probably need to micro mesh the surface any way - and then go over it with white afterwards.

Mike did a review here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53310-alclad-primer/

At the mo it's my primer of choice.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

Oh dear gods. :rolleyes:

Hmm I'm not about to try to decant stuff out of a bloody aerosol, that way madness (or total disaster) lies! I need an airbrush primer.

'Tis easy (must be if I can do it!).

Take one drinking straw. Cut it down to about 2-3 inches. Shake rattle can of primer to death. Blutack the straw onto the nozzle. Cover an open glass jar (eg an old cleaned out Tamiya paint pot or similar) with clingfilm. Punch a hole through clingfilm roughly straw sized & insert straw blutacked to can. Spray as much primer as desired into jar. Remove straw & clingfilm. Leave lid off jar for an hour or so for paint to gas out. Done & ready to airbrush.

You could fill a jar with lovely airbrush ready white primer in half the time it took to type this....!!

K

Another vote against alclad white primer. I've used it, and the coverage is rubbish. I found you spray and spray and it doesn't seem to cover, then all of a sudden all the panel lines are filled in!

Got a reaper needing stripping because of it.

Can't praise alclad grey primer enough, it works grwat, and covers nice and even. Gives a nice finish too.

Good work on snoopy Debs. She really looks the part.

• Like 1

I would go for Fritags method above, especially if you opt for the Tamiya white primer. The Tamiya white is a little transparent and the different plastic shades would show through. Give it a good coating of grey, sort out all the blemishes and then a thin final grey to give you a uniform colour, then a light dusting of white primer to give a nice base. I did it that way on my Cormorant to get rid of the horrid yellow plastic!

Smashing flaps by the way :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I'd opt for Fritag's method. I use both Alclad white and grey and recommend them both. However, as noted above, if using the white, build it up with light misty coats as it is somewhat translucent, and the temptation will be to over compensate and fill in and gloop over your details.

• Like 1

I'm still pretty inexperienced on this malarkey but I've found Badger Stynylrez easy to use and it covers and sands well IMHO. eModels are stocking it now so also easier to get hold of?

HTH, nervous of Bath.

I always used Halfords rattle can primer. I find it to be ok, although there's no control, as said above I could decant it but I loose the will....! Patience when applying it does the trick.

I would strongly suggest that you stay away from Vallejo primer, it's awful. At the mere sight of a sanding stick it peels off....The most annoying stuff ever created...

Another vote against alclad white primer. I've used it, and the coverage is rubbish. I found you spray and spray and it doesn't seem to cover, then all of a sudden all the panel lines are filled in!

Glad it's not just me, that's exactly what happened on my Phantom!

K

I've had too many bills on the MG this month to justify the petrol for Huddersfield. :(

Am planning on Cosford tho - 'nother stay in the Mess methinks.

Some folks will run expensive motors..........................

Might have a slither over to Cosford meself if Mrs Miggers fancies,though last time we went

she was rather bored.

'Tis easy (must be if I can do it!).

Take one drinking straw. Cut it down to about 2-3 inches. Shake rattle can of primer to death. Blutack the straw onto the nozzle. Cover an open glass jar (eg an old cleaned out Tamiya paint pot or similar) with clingfilm. Punch a hole through clingfilm roughly straw sized & insert straw blutacked to can. Spray as much primer as desired into jar. Remove straw & clingfilm. Leave lid off jar for an hour or so for paint to gas out. Done & ready to airbrush.

You could fill a jar with lovely airbrush ready white primer in half the time it took to type this....!!

K

Correctamundo.

Done that wheeze many times myself both for modelling applications and when painting R/C car bodies.

Works a treat.

Edited by Miggers

Another vote for Mr. Fritag's suggestion - Alclad Grey Primer and Microfiller is what I always use. It's like a thin, primer version of Mr. Surfacer. Since I only use a lowly Paasche Model H, single action, external mix antique airbrush, I switch to the No.5 (1 mm) color adjuster and air cap when I spray it. That'll cover your old Snoopy bird real quick.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Wear a ventilator. :)

• Like 2