An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

I mentioned that both Airfix and italeri got the engines wrong. What I forgot to say was that both kits rather poorly represent the Allison jet pipes. Fortunately aftermarket resin ones are available from the Australian company 'OzMods' (they also do J model jet pipes):

DSCF1310_zps7n310zye.jpg

When it comes to the T56-A-15 engines you have 2 choices, either those by 'Flightpath' or those by 'Heritage Aviation Models'. The Flightpath set had been unavailable for quite some time (although they are now listed as available), so I went with the Heritage set:

DSCF1312_zpsdhdurtqc.jpg

DSCF1313_zpsmxwcunik.jpg

There is also some debate as to the accuracy of the Airfix External Fuel Tanks (the Sergeant Fletcher 6000lb tanks), these being a tad short in length, somewhat anorexic in overall diameter and too 'waisted' at the aft end. Sadly the Combat Conversions ones in the WMk2 kit are just plain wrong and look nothing like the real thing. Heritage do a set of External Tanks but I have not had chance to have a look at them, I may just use the Italeris as masters and cast up my own.

Finally, for building a Tanker I managed to snag this from Ebay:

DSCF1311_zpsvkdbwvxc.jpg

It's a white metal conversion kit (so less than ideal) but will serve as the basis of the conversion (who knows I may use it to cast my own resin parts). The instructions are quite reasonable for the placement of the HDU coooler ram air intakes and heat exchanger exhaust that were unique to the CMk1K. Certainly the drawings are better than those by S Slater that appeared the issue December 1983 of Airfix Magazine.

OzMods also do the nacelle correction upgrade for the C-130J. Apart from the 4 nacelles, the set also includes four spinners, four vent doors and 24 (usually packed with a couple of extra) simitar blades. See details at http://www.ozmods-kits.com/ozmods-conversions-upgrades-accessories-172

Attack Squadron also do the J engines and are coming out with E/H versions.

http://www.armahobby.com/c-130-j-engine-nacelles.html

They also do a sponson correction set for the Italeri J.

http://www.armahobby.com/c-130j-sponson-correction-for-italeri.html

And they also do a refueling pod set but this is probably just for the US Marines version.

http://www.armahobby.com/kc-130-j-refueling-pod-zasobnik-do-tankowania.html

The refueling pods are US but would suit an RAF J if we ever get the helo AAR capability they are currently talking about. AIUI the J has a 'ro ro' functionality for role change to tanker configuration. The RAF Js are set up for this and the capability was originally budgeted for (before being spent on other things).

The sponson corrections, while for a J would also suit an H model or a late Civilian L100.

Today I built up the nosewheel bay. Airfix don't provide a roof to the bay (unlike Italeri) so I built it up from 30thou Plastikard and detailed it with some 10thou plastikard and 0.4mm lead wire. It's not totally prototypical but as good as I can get it for now.

DSCF1450_zpsh0oyj0yz.jpg

I then had a think about closing up the fuselage and...

DSCF1448_zpsiot7o2km.jpg

Well there's a serious amount of twist in the fuselage halves so a fair bit of clamping is going to be required.

DSCF1448_zpsiot7o2km.jpg

Initially I wasn't going to cut the radome off until the fuselage halves were together but, given the warpage and the difficulty in getting the halves to mate up, I think removing the radome at this stage may be of help.

• Like 7

I think I'd glue what I'd got instead of hoping to get a strong joint from what is left

With the wheel bay installed and glueing around the nose surely the main structure needs help staying put

but I ain't a doing of it meself yet

You have certainly got lots of the extras you will need

I like this one lots

The twist is such that getting the fuselage halves together with the radome in place requires more force than with it removed.

I have a cunning plan.

Having removed the radome (just forward of the front bulkhead) I am treating this like a vacform kit and glueing in reinforcing plates along the upper and lower fuselage join lines. Once these have set I shall batter the fuselage into where I want it to be.

HA!

As Steve said, this kit is going to fight me all the way to the line. Sigh...

• Like 6

Aye that's what I thought, if only to act as a base for the inevitible filling and sanding that is going to be required.

It would be sooooo nice if the manufacturers would do a decent Albert....

Helloo, Airfix, Revell?...You can both do a bloody Shack.

A Shack dear gods! What about the single most important airlifter in the history of airlift?

What's that?

Oh you want to do another bloody Tornado...

:rolleyes:

• Like 7

As long as we get a decent one Jessica I don't care.

While I am having fun with my 4 Albert 5 Albert build, it would be nice if SOMEONE would do an ACTUALLY accurate Albert kit!

It'll be announced just after you apply the last decal to your fifth one Debs. Best get on with them then...!!

K

• Like 1

I built the Airfix kit as a Christmas present when I was 9 in the late 70's so we need a new up to date version. Can you get all 5 done by say September ;) that way a new one will be out By october and it will be for sale in LHS In Canada by Christmas .. Oh wait we're not supposed to call it that....

Ray

You're beating this into submission in style :) As you say the world is waaaay overdue an accurate Albert.

Re the RAF getting tanking capability. It isn't going to happen. The last three A400's on order were due to be tankers, but were cancelled rumour has it because Air Tanker has exclusive dibs on that role.

Trevor

Apparently the MOD are talking about an AAR requirement for Helos.

The French have found that the A400 is totally unsuitable for this role and, as a result have bought....

Oh yes, Alberts. :D

I take your point about the Air Tinkers though. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs taking out and shooting...

Aside from haemorraging money from the Defence Budget like it's going out of fashion (£1 million / day) they're also hemorraging RAF pilots to Civy Street (like no one could see that coming :rolleyes: ).

Apparently the MOD are talking about an AAR requirement for Helos.

The French have found that the A400 is totally unsuitable for this role and, as a result have bought....

Oh yes, Alberts. :D

I take your point about the Air Tinkers though. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs taking out and shooting...

Aside from haemorraging money from the Defence Budget like it's going out of fashion (£1 million / day) they're also hemorraging RAF pilots to Civy Street (like no one could see that coming :rolleyes: ).

Good grief,surely not more Fritag types haring about in Porsches...........