An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

To Think I was very2 pleased to get my hands on an Airfix one back in the day

I always intended to make a better job of it "later" after Her Maj gave me some long rides on them

Even drew lots of pictures of the pipes boxes and gubbinses so I could recapture them later

(we didnt have telephones in our pockets with cameras and would NOT have been allowed to take them "to work" with us)

I am promising to keep with this faithfully Debs, it's in the favourites list

• Like 1

Hi Debs :) Two pages in less than 12 hours... is that a record?

Watching this one with interest. Not my period but as it's you... I love to watch you shaping these things up. :popcorn:

I did get very impressed with the Albert when I saw one at a show years ago (Abingdon I think) demonstrating a CRAZY approach that basically involved a 1000' approach until the airfield boundary and then what appeared to be a vertical dive at the ground... impressive! What was that approach called? Something Vietnamese IIRC.

I remember parking behind an Albert in Gib and sitting in the car as it started up all engines, feeling the whole car rocking like a boat!

I also fondly remember the low pass they would make after flesh bombing with the Falcons at air shows.

That's as far as my own experience with them goes! Looking forward to what Ms Ascoteer can do with this!

Having lived very close to the Hercules since 1968 when we moved to the area, I miss the sound of them since Lyneham shut. My office in Chippenham was right under the flight path some days, I lived in Calne for 8 years which was a stone's throw away and there were quite a few Lyneham aircrew who were members at North Wilts Golf Club at the time I played. My best mate's Dad was a Loadmaster on them and I had a chance to visit the old sim at Lyneham and crawl around one

I shall watch this with interest.

I shall be watching this one with interest Ascoteer.

I don't know the C-130 that well so I will be making as many notes as I can to help with my build.

I have a 1/48 Italeri (843) H to convert into an Argentine KC-130H ready for the 35 anniversary of the Falklands War (2017)

RR

A long long time ago, while shore based in the good ol' Falklands at MPA, I was mates with a RAF photographer & got several flights on Hercs to photograph Phantoms from the ramp. My crappy little camera didn't do them justice & the photos are long lost but his were superb & I think he won several awards for them. Good times.

Have you built it yet?

I too shall follow this with great interest, I have two Hercs in my to do stash, one is the Airfix (Italeri ) and the other the Italeri Blue Angels Hercules, I wish some one would create an aftermarket for the defensive suite fitted to later ones. .

two Navigator's seats. Now, no Albert that I ever sat in had two Navs.

One of my trips in the Herc had two Navs on board, and guess what? they were both lost.

It was the JATE aircraft returning from a trip to West Freugh and the highest above ground or sea that we got during the whole trip was the climb into the Brize circuit.

During the trip through the North Wales valleys both Navs were stood up with OS charts in hand 'arguing' about what was over the next ridge crest. Both were wrong. Don, the pilot was just smiling and flying the route he obviously knew like the back of his hand. The other things I remember of that trip was the Eng constantly cancelling the Rad Alt warning (set a some figure well below 250ft), and the fact that at that height you could tell if the tractor driver we'd just gone over had a moustache or not!

Are you going to attempt the K's unique cargo floor?

Ghast my flabber

Every post is a fabulous lesson, thanks Debs

So it looks like Airfix need to take a look at a 130K too soon before they are all scrapped* if we're not too late for a LIDARing session

I know they're out of service and they even scrapped Snoopy so it may be too blarry late :(

*fingies crossed, cos there's still 202 in Cosford, the first Herc I ever flew in

My low level trip through Wales proved to be evidence for my belief that having more than the required amount of crew on board is a dangerous thing (CFS, STANEVAL, Sqn OC et al). It has caused many accidents and calling it CRM doesn't remove the risk completely.

• Like 1

Thanks Debs, another great read and VERY educational... :)

What's "FODDING the jet engines"? Google is no help, it keeps pointing me to food. Yum.

My low level trip through Wales proved to be evidence for my belief that having more than the required amount of crew on board is a dangerous thing (CFS, STANEVAL, Sqn OC et al). It has caused many accidents and calling it CRM doesn't remove the risk completely.

It can very well be, since it can result in 'Cross Cockpit Authority Gradients' that might otherwise not be there, let alone the 'Fear of Failure' in front of a 'Checker'.

I lost some very good friends on XV193 at Blair Atholl :( and often wondered whether these might have been factors.