An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

Not sure I'm that impressed with Gander though (albeit it is far better than the 'hole that is Goose Bay - and don't even get me started on Happy Valley!), however the French Onion Soup in the Pizza Delight there was to die for.

Ah, the delights of sunny Goose Bay. Was it Pizza Delight then? I though it was Medways?? Ah well :clif: !

Sitting in the TV room watching something when the doors open and in walk two large Inuit ladies who are, lets say, professionals...

The stand there looking around, we sit there ignoring them. Then they say, "Where is Christian?".

Silence.

Repeat, "Where is Christian?"

Silence.

They walk up to the nearest crab and start making small talk, and then split to take in even more young (un)willing crabs.

Suddenly a voice pipes up, (I will find you Throm, one day :fight: ), from the back, with a pointing finger, "There he is". At which time pretty much every other hand does the same.

I am at the back, nose in book, trying to look inconspicuous. The way to the door is a sea of chairs, legs and other body parts; blocked. The door way is very blocked by the ladies.

What to do?

The ladies are starting to advance, helped by the boys rapidly clearing a path

It's -35 outside and there is 12+ feet of snow outside, in drifts.

Yup, Being next to the window I step up, undog the window and jump, (second story window), into a drift, floundered out and RAN to the next block and hid!

The big problem was that the blocks were heated to almost volcanic temperatures and off duty dress was T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops... NATO ACE had its uses!

Cracking build! Nice to see further developments and more models added??? How about a nice round 10, just to cover as many marking and equipment fits as possible :whistle:

Christian, exiled to africa and ducking for cover

• Like 5

Pizza Delight was in Gander. It did the most wonderful French Onion Soup served with a good inch of melted cheese on top.

Bliss!

The other good thing about Gander was the freezer run by the Movements Office - you could radio/phone ahead and order all sorts of exotic stuff from Lobsters to Scallops to Arctic Char (a type of Salmon). Stick it in a bin bag with some ice, place on the ramp and it would still be frozen when you arrived at Lyneham some 7 hours later.

The hotel we stayed in in Gander was called 'Sinbads'. It rather smelled of curry because, word has it, it was where the Air Cuba Crews had a permanent detachment:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x4b76f2f0320c4ca1:0x6a38d6154f16a501!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/sinbads%2Bgander/@48.9525686,-54.604981,3a,75y,311.03h,90t/data%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sR5MNHRgOXj_Z28S8paZ5cg*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x0:0x6a38d6154f16a501?hl%3Den!5ssinbads+gander+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sR5MNHRgOXj_Z28S8paZ5cg&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwik0fSs_P3OAhUqD8AKHbFdAaYQpx8IhgEwCg

The last couple of days have consisted of much work for little to show, ie rubbing down, filling, more rubbing down. I always knew there would be work to do around the flap bays, but it wasn't until Snoopy was in primer that could actually see what was required. Also I wasn't happy with some of the rescribing so out came the soup.

I'll probably shoot some more primer the morrow, then we can get on with colour. banana2.gif <<<< Top Banana!

• Like 4

Looking good Debs,

That pic of the interior of the 'J' looks a bit wrong, with no clocks an' gauges an' things, only display screens . It just doesn't look right!

With regard to places with strange and slightly smutty sounding names are we allowed to mention the old football stadium in Bern?

Pizza Delight was in Gander. It did the most wonderful French Onion Soup served with a good inch of melted cheese on top.

Bliss!

Cheers Debs, I though I was getting two and two confused, :clif: ya' know!

Gander it was and the Onion soup, with cheese, (does it come without? Nay!), was the best.

Ah the joys of priming. But fear not, we have faith in your faith to keep the, (Albert), faith.

Christian, ex occasional Albert passenger and exiled to the dark continent.

One of the best ones is still the old RNAS airfield up in the Orkneys.

Crispy'll know the one with him being ex-RNAS :winkgrin:

What's funny about Hatston?

[Yes, I know]

RNAS?? I'm 56, not double that

• Like 1

One of the best ones is still the old RNAS airfield up in the Orkneys.

Crispy'll know the one with him being ex-RNAS :winkgrin:

I drove past RNAS T**** (hereinafter HMS Tern :) ) when I was up in the Orkneys just the other week.

BTW. The well known road sign to T*** appears on T-shirts in most Orkney gift shops :)

It's a beautiful location - and the Birsay Heritage Trust is trying to preserve the control tower at HMS Tern

I drove past RNAS T**** (hereinafter HMS Tern :) ) when I was up in the Orkneys just the other week.

BTW. The well known road sign to T*** appears on T-shirts in most Orkney gift shops :)

It's a beautiful location - and the Birsay Heritage Trust is trying to preserve the control tower at HMS Tern

For those who can't figure the name out... Just search for Orkneys on this list of RNAS stations... lol it will be very obvious which one it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_air_stations_of_the_Royal_Navy

Ray

• Like 1

What's funny about Hatston?

[Yes, I know]

RNAS?? I'm 56, not double that

How come we're all 56????(most of us daft lot anyway)

Bet you've roared low over it in Jagwaaahhhh days eh Stevie :coolio:

• Like 1

I'd never get the name past the filters here, but let's just say there's a village located here : 48.067558, 12.862554 whose name has to be the utter worst placename on the pkanet.

Apparently the first ever helo crash in the UK occurred at HMS Tern.

I bet the pilot felt a bit of a Tw......ern

I'm not 56 either!

Edited by GordonM

• 1 month later...
On 09/09/2016 at 8:50 PM, Winnie said:

Here is a town not terribly far from Gander that may cause a chuckle or two. I certainly almost drove off the road...

47.5706° N, 53.5556° W

:lol::lol: I went there on Google Street View. You can read the church signpost. How I laughed!

On 2016-09-01 at 10:48 PM, perdu said:

.22 LR isn't QUITE air rifle ammunition RayB

I believe Cadets get .22 modified SA80 thingmys or whatever posh designation the military gives to its weaponry these modern times

In my day we got and loved Lee Enfields and the like

but that was a very long 'day' ago

Back in my days with the Swedish air cadets in the late 60's, we used the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser m/96. When we turned 17 we were trained on the m/45 Carl Gustaf 9 mm submachine gun.These days I think the air cadets (or what remains of that once proud corps) only use air rifles. O tempera o mores!

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 8:50 PM, Winnie said:

Here is a town not terribly far from Gander that may cause a chuckle or two. I certainly almost drove off the road...

47.5706° N, 53.5556° W

Hilarious..

Sign on entering reads.........................Welcome to *****. Pop.... No Conception , Drive safe.

Looks a bit quiet there, I thought the place would be buzzing.

• Like 1

On the Range at Brooklands in the ATC (11F Sqn) we used .22 and .303, Lee Enfields? Can't remember that, it was 1967-70 .

The .22s would have been the No 8 rifle which was a conversion of the Lee Enfield No 4 rifle.

They are still in service (just - we've been extended for another 12 months) pending the introduction of the L144 rifle (a Savage built .22 with polymer stock and match sights).

• Like 3