An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

It's probably an apocryphal tale. The way I heard it, it was a tanker and a fighter.

The fighter pilot calls: 'Bet you can't do this!" and rolls inverted.

The tanker pilot responds with: "Bet you can't do this."

Nothing seems to happen.

Fighter: "Do what?"

Tanker: "Shut down 2 engines!"

I think it was a "There I Was" toon that showed a B-52 and a F-4. So where it really originated or if it ever really did we may never know but it is a good story either way.

• Like 1

I think it was a "There I Was" toon that showed a B-52 and a F-4. So where it really originated or if it ever really did we may never know but it is a good story either way.

I remember that cartoon by Bob Stevens from an issue of Aviation week or a similar magazine, many many years ago . The story started with the cocky Rhino pilot doing barrel rolls around the BUFF - and the scene was set...

• Like 1

I remember that cartoon by Bob Stevens from an issue of Aviation week or a similar magazine, many many years ago . The story started with the cocky Rhino pilot doing barrel rolls around the BUFF - and the scene was set...

The extended, probably embellished version has the BUFF pilot tell the fighter "I shut down two engines, went for a walk to stretch my legs, used the toilet and made myself a cup of coffee. Top that, hotshot!"

Hi Chris.

I'm not really an author - my tales are snapshots of my time on Albert.

I don't think I could actually write a book that anyone would want to read!

That's what "E-books" were invented for.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=on-line+publishing&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=YdBzVq7OIMnzUPmrp5AO#q=online+publishing

• Like 1

Debs I love Snoopy, ever since I saw him in No3 hanger at Marshall's when I was about to leave school and had visit to try and become an apprentice (I failed) Now that I work for the Ambulance service we regularly meet or drop off the crews for Anglia 2 at Cambridge Airport and every time I enter airside the first thing I see is Snoopy - or at least his fuselage parked next to ATC, it's rather sad....

I worked near the airport while he was in use as an engine test bed, it was rather a weird sight to see a turbo fan so large it almost touched floor under an Albert wing! Not to mention an Albert with a Citation flying around Cambridge as chase plane......

Around about 2008/9 a Lockheed test pilot used Cambridge as the base for his aircraft when practising his Farnborough display routine, he was using the full capability until locals complained that they thought it crashing! Apparently it went as far as 999 calls! Marshall's took the path of least resistance, because the anti airport lobby we're loving it as a stick to beat the irrepsonsible aviation industry and it went off to Waterbeach to practise instead. Personally I loved watching an Albert doing wingovers!

Which links rather nicely to childhood visits to Waterbeach to see the old Burma Star Days when I loved seeing the original Albert colour scheme......

Edited by GordonM

I've only just started catching up with this, but I was at Greenham Common in 1979 in the RCV. I think it was the year that the distress beacon in the Israeli's tail went off and broke through all the frequencies. The crew had all gone to London and left armed guards around the aircraft who wouldn't let anyone in to disable the damned thing!

We also had an Albert driver, whose name escapes me now, as Airfield Manager.

This looks like being another epic build, watching closely now.

John

Airfix moulded the flaps underscale:

DSCF1343_zpsikufvptp.jpg

Where did Airfix get it wrong? Have you got to chop out some of the lower wing - or extend the upper - or both?

I'd guess it means cutting back the lower wing? But does that then affect the aileron size/positioning and does it affect the look of the provided panels lines etc?

Good ol' Airfix :)

"Sometimes I wonder why I bother..."

because of the little niggling worm of perfection that nestles inside us

"I-know-it-IS-NOT-LIKE-THAT" itis

Its the same worm that makes you build racing engines for the rest of us to covet

So now you know, dont forget we're waiting

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder why I bother...

Sigh.

Because if you didn't it would be too dull and too easy and then you'd have to go and do something else less boring instead! So (why don't you) crack on :winkgrin:

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 1

The upper wings are fine (albeit the panel lines that Airfix would have you believe are somewhat 'comedic'). Albert has Fowler type flaps which extend from inside the wing - only a small part of the overall flap upper surface is actually upper wing surface (just under 20%).

The problem is that Airfix put the lower flap hinge lines in the wrong place. What I've had to do is to cut back the lower wing by about 2mm. Fortunately it doesn't affect the ailerons but it does mean I can not use the Airfix flap parts themselves but will have to scratch up a set to mount onto the Flightpath etched upper surface. WRT panel lines, aside fom their comedy value they are of the raised type so I will have to rescribe anyway.

These things are sent to try us...

Sometimes I wonder why I bother...

Sigh.

I had a similar problem (though less extreme) with the Eduard Vixen flaps. They too extend from slightly "inside" the wing. It took a lot of fettling and plastic thinning to get them to fit, but they are so worth it in the end.

Ah, The Queen Vic at MPA. My head is starting to ache at the mere memory; I never knowingly left the place even remotely sober.

• Like 1

Having filled the resultant void in the lower wing with 2-part epoy putty (thanks for the heads up Hendie and Dan!), I spent most of today rescribing the starboard wing.

That complete, I remonted the outboard (No 4) engine in the correct position.

DSCF1348_zpsfygjazvy.jpg

Of course then I discovered that Airfix moulded the nacelles too deep so these will need some work to get them to mate up to the Heritage resin parts.

My plan on the nacelles was to remove them from the wing and trim them down on the top edge,either that or pack them full of milliput and stock up on wet n dry.

Edited by fatalbert

Snoopy's fuselage most definitely is intact, next time I'm airside I'll try and photograph it - assuming I'm not arrested as the Duke Of Cambridge is based there