An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

Speaking of car filler, I've had very good success using Isopon's P38. It mixes easily, sets fast enough (sometimes even too fast if too much hardener is used) and can be sanded very easily while still being robust enough for "structural" works. Can be easily found across the UK, for example in Halford's

A chap is busy with work - glances away from BM for a moment or two - and glances back to find we are 4 pages into a Debs thread.

Not only is the pace of 21st century life getting too much for this poor old boy - it seems that the pace on BM is likewise accelerating :)

Best flog that 911 then and get something a bit more "sedate" eh.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

I concur with the P38 . Although I also use green stuff.

Dropped flaps will look good, nice work.

Guy

I could show him how to drive it.

Just sayin...

Yeh but if things are already too fast for him then you show him how it'll go,he put's his welly-gog down

and the plot gets away from him..................... :clif:

No matter what button he pushes or lever he pulls,there's nowt that'll go "bang-whoosh" and flirt him out

the top for an Irvin GCA is there :giles:...............

Wait 'til he catches up with us,he'll be all barrista wigs'n'gowns,tee-hee.

:winkgrin: :winkgrin:

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2

If you want to gently remove solder flux try Iso Propyl Alcohol (IPA) easily obtained from fleabay. I have been soldering for more years than I care to mention.

By the way, I used to unload and load Charlies at Wildenrath which had Bloodhound Missiles and associated bits in them.

Happy Days (LOA rules)

Ted

Just caught this - terrific! I have friends who survived Cyclone Tracy and were evacuated from Darwin to Melbourne in one of Ronnie's Es. They can't remember which one it was (having other things, like survival, on their minds at the time) so when I get around to dragging my Italeri one out of the stash it will be done in a representative scheme for the time. I'll be following this thread from here on!

Having seen the post about props and rapid descents I am now wondering about prop pitches during start up and ground running. Parked Hercules always seem to have the props in fully fine pitch, yet I have seen other types where start up has the prop fully feathered and, if my notoriously leaky memory works, piston-engined aircraft often started with props in coarse pitch. Any ideas or information anyone please?

Having seen the post about props and rapid descents I am now wondering about prop pitches during start up and ground running. Parked Hercules always seem to have the props in fully fine pitch, yet I have seen other types where start up has the prop fully feathered and, if my notoriously leaky memory works, piston-engined aircraft often started with props in coarse pitch. Any ideas or information anyone please?

When I did my constant-speed endorsement (on a Piper Arrow) the pre-start check included pitch to fine, and any CSU-equipped aircraft I've flown since has been the same. I believe that some of the very early variable pitch and constant speed props had to be started in coarse pitch because of the workings of the pitch mechanism, but I've never encountered one of them in about 40 years of flying. What goes on with non-reciprocating engined things is a closed book to me ...

Best flog that 911 then and get something a bit more "sedate" eh.

As it happens, I was bimbling up the M1 in it this afternoon (the default position on the M1 at the mo' seems to be road works with a 50 mph speed limit) thinking how pleasant it wos having a cruise control, heated seats and a heated steering wheel............Sad ain't it :(

Did go to the launch of the gen-2 991 t'other evening. Might be tempted in the New Year to swop my 997 for a 991 - just to keep the mid life crisis going a bit longer.......Dunno if that counts as more sedate?

It's only a Beetle on steroids!

When I went to pick it up my missus embarrassed herself by walking around to the back of the car and asking to see in the boot......Course when I say embarrassed herself I really me embarrassed me. She seemed supremely indifferent to the fact that she was stood at the wrong end of the car to find the boot; she simply sniffed disparagingly and walked to the front; sniffed disparagingly again and said it weren't much of a boot was it....

I could show him how to drive it.

Just sayin...

I needed that 30 years ago when I was busy crashing all the motorbikes I've ever owned and rolling my pride-and-joy brand new 205GTI into a ditch 2 months after I bought it........

I fear you'd be wasting your skills on me now Debs :(

Wait 'til he catches up with us,he'll be all barrista wigs'n'gowns,tee-hee.

:winkgrin: :winkgrin:

Barrista? Whilst it's fair to say I drinks a lot of coffee to get thro' the working day....I aint' a professional at making it........

As to the important stuff - Debs Herc.

Sigh.......everyone seems too be able to do PE these days but me.....

EDIT:

Does he serve coffee then? :shrug:

You beat me to it Debs. Posts crossed in the post as it were :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

Lotuses (Lotii??), 911s, 205s, racing MGs... crikey you BM people must be rolling in it. I'm stuck with a 6 year old bog stock WRX (which I'm not allowed to drive in the way that Subaru-san intended, due to draconian speed limits, harshly enforced by the anti-fun squad.)

Still, I don't have to put up with UK weather, so it's all good. :)

Ascoteer (I'd call you Debs, but I don't know you so it'd be rude) - back on topic, I point you in the direction of Airmodel, who do vacform Herkybird conversiony thingies, that may (or may not) be of use, or you may have already seen them and said "Meh."

http://www.airmodel.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hercules&XTCsid=gkrs8vhccmk4ne08i8fbj061f4

I've got a few of his full kits and a conversion or 2, and they're pretty good.

• Like 1

There's not a lot of wild Lotii here in Aussie, they don't like the climate (too blinkin' hot old chap, what.) So as a result they are rich man's toys, not daily drivers, and tend to be very expensive indeed, old or not (the new ones... cheaper to buy a Porsche.)

Roundy-roundy racing is a rich man's game (except for speedway, which is for bogans.), so I imagine that with the financial situation worldwide, anyone involved on the actual work side of it is suffering. Heck, I'm in the coal industry, and I'm suffering.

For everyone's elucidation.

bogan1
ˈbəʊɡ(ə)n/
noun
Australian/NZ informal derogatory
noun: bogan; plural noun: bogans
an uncouth or unsophisticated person, regarded as being of low social status.
and also

I took a guy on Circuit at Snetterton who had never raced cars (but reckoned himself a good, fast driver). I found him over 10 seconds a lap so I reckon I could hone your ability Steve. :)

Edit: 205s were great once you got them up onto the bump-stops, prior to that I always found them a tad 'soggy'.

Hmm. Don't you have to have some ability to get 'honed' as it were Debs? That may be problematical......

Soggy? Ahh. P'raps it was the car's faulty I rolled it in a ditch then. Not the 22 year-old Fritag's incompetent driving after all? Soggy or not (can't say my abilities even went as far as noticing that characteristic) I loved that car.

When I did my constant-speed endorsement (on a Piper Arrow) the pre-start check included pitch to fine, and any CSU-equipped aircraft I've flown since has been the same. I believe that some of the very early variable pitch and constant speed props had to be started in coarse pitch because of the workings of the pitch mechanism, but I've never encountered one of them in about 40 years of flying. What goes on with non-reciprocating engined things is a closed book to me ...

On startup on the J the props start to spin in the feathered position. I've never seen the pitch of the props change before they are started

We always start the Caravans with the prop in feather, and bring it up at the completion of the start cycle. The only reason we started the King Airs with the prop lever forward was because the oil pressure gauge was ac powered and came online last. By having the prop forward we could tell we had oil pressure by the prop coming out if feather.

Ian

I've been watching some videos, and it seems that the early models (4 blades) start at 0 pitch, the later ones (8, 10, 12? I can't count that high!) start feathered. There is of course a huge amount of difference in the blade shape, the early ones are like the side of a barn.