An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

That's quite a few hours you have under your belt on type, I wonder if any other manufacturer does this ?

Had many a good time down at Lynham watching Herc's. Remember one come into Shoreham when I was there it was a stretch one and when it come for it to leave it had to be timed right so there was no trains on the line at the end of the runway as she was using every inch of runway and she was quite close to the fence brilliant take off ! must of been on the limits of Shoreham's weight limits .

Guy

Is that you driving the one in your avatar? I heard that a certain farmer encouraged the Alberts to fly 'a bit lower ' over the homestead, and to go 'penguin bowling'.

25 years airshows. Greenham Common? Waterbeach? I was at both. :thumbsup:

I once spent about a thousand years travelling between Winnipeg and Trenton stuffed into the back of an RCAF Herk. I was 8 years old, suffering from Chicken Pox and couldn't scratch. I think I vibrated for about a day after we landed. That flight has a rather...special place in my memory which means that whenever I see anything Albertish I immediately flash back to being 8 years old, stuffed in a sideways-facing canvas seat and itching.

But for the sake of watching your fleet take shape, I'll deal with the memories.

Edited by Jessica
  • Like 4

That's quite a few hours you have under your belt on type, I wonder if any other manufacturer does this ?

Had many a good time down at Lynham watching Herc's. Remember one come into Shoreham when I was there it was a stretch one and when it come for it to leave it had to be timed right so there was no trains on the line at the end of the runway as she was using every inch of runway and she was quite close to the fence brilliant take off ! must of been on the limits of Shoreham's weight limits .

Guy

I wonder it it's an American practice as I believe Boeing award similar pins to Chinook aircrew when they achieve milestone hours on the type.

I did kinda hassle Debs into making numba one Snoopy but as my time riding sideways under weirdly rumbling, creaking and occasionally whining rooftop junk coincided with the change from Big Sandy colours to Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey and very light grey may we have the venerable 213 even though its not one I remember riding in

Gotta love a Light Aircraft Grey underneath aeroplane

So I bet its going to be Snoopy now I nailed my colours up ;)

Whichever it is, I'm looking forward to it! I've not heard of the pins over here but it could be a purely military thing so my 1,000+ on civvy Caravans wouldn't warrant one :-(

Ian

• Like 1

Shame Boeing don't do these, I'd have been well on my way to my 9th badge!

You've got an impressive CV on Hercs, but doesn't sound like you joined a lot of your ex-Herc guys into civvy flying? I've flown with a lot of boys and one girl who went straight to BA.

Looking forward to your build of XV213, I managed to get a "jolly" on her when I was in the navy, it would have been around 1987ish, me ship was in the Falklands (HMS Herald) and we were asked if anyone fancied a ride, ME, ME, ME please. Once airborne we did a bit of fighter evasion exercises (from 2 Phantoms) then refuelled the same two aircraft, a great day which I will remember for the rest of my life.

Regards Andy.

• Like 1