British Phantom kits, 1/72 & 1/48

At Sea

image_58.jpeg

As above really. As Hasegawa let Revell use the moulds a few years ago surely it is time for a re-release.

The kits still pass muster, Fujimi & Hasegawa, and the subject matter has not changed.

Aftermarket declas a still about.

Airfix disappointed this year, but someone out there must see what these things make on ebay and must sense the business case for a re pop of these excellent kits!?

I guess I am just hoping that someone in a model company sees this and if we get enough activity on this thread then maybe they'll take notice!

It would sell a lot better than a Javelin! :-D

Edited by At Sea
  • Like 1

Well, if Airfix did a spey F-4 in 48th it'd be at least the price of the Javelin (£50+) and that's what s/h hasegawa kits go for.

If Airfix did one in 72nd then it'll probably be more than the Lightning which is currently £17, so lets's say £20+, you can import one from Japan for about the same money.

So, they may not be much cheaper. Mind you, at least we'd have a solid source of supply ... and possibly new decals sheets on the market ;)

Well, if Airfix did a spey F-4 in 48th it'd be at least the price of the Javelin (£50+) and that's what s/h hasegawa kits go for.

If Airfix did one in 72nd then it'll probably be more than the Lightning which is currently £17, so lets's say £20+, you can import one from Japan for about the same money.

So, they may not be much cheaper. Mind you, at least we'd have a solid source of supply ... and possibly new decals sheets on the market ;)

I would not object to a £50 Phantom new tooled with compressor faces buried somewhere inside their long intakes, similarly the Fujimi Phantoms may as well be OOP because of the reliability of supply.

It is more the fact that right now you pay £30-£70 for a kit with blind intakes, maybe no useable declas and maybe some missing parts.

A simple re-pop along the Revell lines should only be a £25 kit.

Compared to the Revell Tornado £50 is very steep.

Yeah, it'd be fantastic if Revell re-issued the kit but I think Hasegawa may be wise to that. They probably realise that they have that market to themselves, which is partly why the prices are high.

Yeah, the Fujimi and Hasegawa decals are (or at least were) pretty poor to say the least :(

And yes, you may well get better detail on an airfix kit (and maybe even folded wings?) but I doubt the panel lines would be as fine as the fujimi/hasegawa kits.

However, if that's the case then you pays yer money and takes yer choice. And maybe a new supplier of Spey f4s might cause Fujimi/Hasegawa prices to drop.

But I'm sure Airfix will do a Spey F4 (and a Buccaneer) in the future, it seems a bit of a no brainer.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Like 1

I agree about the fine detail. It really is stunning even now.

The decals comment was more about the 2nd had kits having yellowed or water damaged decals. But agree a modern kit would be better in the first place.

I have everything crossed for an Airfix 1/48 Spey Phantom & new tool Buccaneer!

Edited by At Sea

If you play the long game on a popular auction site they do come up for sensible money.

On my workbench awaiting paint i have a Revell FGR2 (£23.00) and a 111 Sqdn "special mark" FG1 (£30.00). I also bought a bag of sprues which will make another 2 1/2 airframes for under £60.00.

I was also sorely tempted at the recent Driffield IPMS by a boxed Boscombe Down Hasegawa kit (with the white metal bits and cockpit frame etch) for £20.00.

The Hase kit is still pretty good, the only thing it's lacking (as mentioned above) is intake detail (solved with homemade FODS).

• Like 1

Damn right you should've!

:gobsmacked:

The problem is that I found them when I had already almost exhausted the budget for the day so I only bought two and left the other 3.

What I'd like to point out though is that it's always worth looking for similar kits outside the UK. That swap meet was in Italy, here an Hasegawa F-104S would go for much bigger money while what is a subject dear to the UK modeller scene is of relatively little interest with the result of lower prices. The same applies to other subjects, I remember seeing a shop selling a pile of CA 1/48 Hornets for £17 each a couple years ago and I still have some Airfix Army Lynx boxes I bought for £ 2 each..

Maybe I should offer a kit finding service for members of Britmodellers... :lol:

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2