1/48 - Focke-Wulf Fw.190A family by Eduard - Fw.190A-2/A-4/A-7/A-8/F-8 released

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/1802042156477390

The brand new Fw 190A-4 kit in 1/48 scale brings 5 colour schemes from period 1942 - 43 from France, the Eastern Front and the Mediterranean area. Colourful markings are linked to such fighter aces as Siegfried Schnell, Walter Nowotny, Erich Rudorffer, and Johannes Trautloft were.

The new Eduard’s Fw 190A-4 is a new October release, but it will be available already at E-day on September 23, 2017!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/photos/a.122154977799458.21995.116570475024575/1801787126502893/?type=3&theater

Source: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/1800789049936034

V.P.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Wonder what our chances are of a 1/72 one of these eventually, the engineering looks like it would translate down a scale quite well?

Steve.

I wouldn't have thought so, if Eduard were to do the A-4 it would most likely be based on their existing 1/72nd 190, which is a good kit anyway, they retooled the 1/48th kit to simplify and improve the accuracy.

• Like 1

Not knowing enough about the mechanics of kit production, I can't really argue with that though I'm guessing either way it'd be a new tool as I doubt they'd want to bugger about with their A/F-8 tooling.  However it came about, I know I'm not the only one would like to see it happen.

Steve.

Source: https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2017/info-eduard-2017-10EN.pdf

(...) Another point of interest centred around the Royal Class Fw 190A-2/3/4, official news about which has been very little, but I did speak on this topic during the Kettle Q and when referring to forthcoming versions of the Fw 190A. I stated that besides the A-3 and A-4 variants, there will likely by at least one A-2. Since then, we have begun choosing marking options, and it looks like there may be three for the A-2, and they promise to be surprisingly interesting. Besides that, the promised A-3 and A-4 versions will be covered with specific modifications, including bombing versions, and there will even be a tropical variant with sand filters on the sides of the engine cowling, and even one A-3 from JG 5 with a drop tank under the fuselage which I believe was a rarity. The marking options have not yet been drawn up, but they will be confirmed through mid-October in the Distributors‘ Newsletter.
Other inclusions to the Royal Class package will be a glass, an emblem, Brassin and photoetched accessories, and masks. The photoetched parts will stand out because these will include clear lenses over the instrument dials for the first time in a 48th scale kit. For those who are unaware, these are pre-painted photoetched parts printed with new technology. They feature not only significantly finer printing, but they also have the dial faces printed with a clear material. We demonstrated these new items at the beginning of September in Plzen and again at E-day with very positive responses from modellers.
The first new model in the 1/48 scale Fw 190A line, the A-4, had its retail premier at E-day to very good reviews. These new kits will continue to replace the older kits of various marks, which were released over ten years ago. They, despite criticisms of labour intensive assembly resulting from a striving for maximum accuracy, always sold well, and would continue to sell well if the condition of the moulds would permit it. For this reason, we decided that we would retool these aircraft about a year ago. This decision has led to total revision of the kit design, as well as the design of a new line of 48th scale Fw 190As that is consistent with the standard of our current kits. In the new tooled kits, you‘ll find models that are considerably simpler in their design than the older kits. The new design follows the ‚ready to fly‘ principle and as such, are a much easier build. The kit has also been fine tuned in its shape and proportions, from tip to tail, the latter of which had its critics in the original kits. The surface details have been designed to also be consistent with our current 48th scale kits with fine riveting. I wouldn‘t dare claim that all the rivet lines are represented, but it‘s not far from that either. This new line of Focke-Wulfs begins with a version that we have never released before, the A-4, and we will continue with the A-3, and the A-2, as mentioned above, will be included in the Royal Class package. All these versions are somewhat variable when it comes to specific details. The A-4 basically came in what can be considered a light and heavy version with either two or four cannon in the wings. and with two variations of the cooling gills on the sides of the nose behind the engine cowling. We intend to release the heavier armed four cannon version with the adjustable cooling slots next after the first Profi- PACK A-4 kit. The rest will be left to the Royal Class package, other ProfiPACK kits and the Weekend Edition offerings. October‘s ProfiPACK kit is naturally in the usual form with five marking options, masks and photoetched brass accessories.
As has become a standard practice for us, there are other accessory items being released in conjunction with the kit for which they are designed. There is a total of five 190 Brassins being offered for October, including a complete engine set, cockpit and gun installations. In the photoetched sets, there is one that covers the landing flaps, a comprehensive photoetched update set and a ZOOM set that includes STEELBELTS seatbelts. (...)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

On 26/09/2017 at 04:44, stevehnz said:

Wonder what our chances are of a 1/72 one of these eventually, the engineering looks like it would translate down a scale quite well?

Steve.

Well mate it’s sort of the other way around. Its been kinda upscaled from the recent 1/72 one. 

Their first 1/48 A/D series from around 10 years ago was a complicated kit. 

Then the 1/72 A 5/8 & F came out a couple years ago, quite simple in comparison. I suppose it would have to be because its smaller anyways. 

This new 1/48 A seems like an upscaled version of that. More in common with the recent 72nd than the old 48th. In relation to the 72nd kit its not exactly upscaled part for part but the ideas and the way it breaks down into its sub assemblies is very similar to it. Makes it look like a shake and bake compared to old 48th 190. 

Having battled a couple of those in the past I can’t wait to get stuck into this new A4. 

Also I have done the new 1/72 A as well and its a lovely little kit. The way the sprues are done for this we could expect new different versions in the future no doubt as well. 

👍🏿

57 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

The way the sprues are done for this we could expect new different versions in the future no doubt as well. 

I can but hope Tony, I've several of the later kits but would like a nice A-4 kit from them, though I have a couple of the Zvezda ones as well.

Steve.

On 10/3/2017 at 12:34 PM, stevehnz said:

I can but hope Tony, I've several of the later kits but would like a nice A-4 kit from them, though I have a couple of the Zvezda ones as well.

Steve.

At Eduard your hope is their plan.:party:

Eduard is replacing the 10 year old tooling for the earlier Fw-190As they produced. Now it will be the Fw-190A-4 Profipack to be followed by the Royal Class containing the never before kitted Fw-190A-2, and the familiar A-3, A-4! The rest of the family will follow.

Eduard's tooling eliminated the problem that the Trimaster/DML/Dragon and Hasegawa kits had in fitting the cowling to the fuselage. The cowl and fuselage are molded as one piece! (I'm fighting a 1/48 Hasegawa Fw-190A-4 right now, so I appreciate Eduard's really nice easy build solution to this problem area.)

From Eduard's October 2017 Newsletter:

"The first new model in the 1/48 scale Fw 190A line, the A-4, had its retail premier at E-day to very good reviews. These new kits will continue to replace the older kits of various marks, which were released over ten years ago. They, despite criticisms of labour intensive assembly resulting from a striving for maximum accuracy, always sold well, and would continue to sell well if the condition of the moulds would permit it. For this reason, we decided that we would retool these aircraft about a year ago. This decision has led to total revision of the kit design, as well as the design of a new line of 48th scale Fw 190As that is consistent with the standard of our current kits. In the new tooled kits, you‘ll find models that are considerably simpler in their design than the older kits. The new design follows the ‚ready to fly‘ principle and as such, are a much easier build. The kit has also been fine tuned in its shape and proportions, from tip to tail, the latter of which had its critics in the original kits. The surface details have been designed to also be consistent with our current 48th scale kits with fine riveting. I wouldn‘t dare claim that all the rivet lines are represented, but it‘s not far from that either. This new line of Focke- -Wulfs begins with a version that we have never released before, the A-4, and we will continue with the A-3, and the A-2, as mentioned above, will be included in the Royal Class package. All these versions are somewhat variable when it comes to specific details. The A-4 basically came in what can be considered a light and heavy version with either two or four cannon in the wings. and with two variations of the cooling gills on the sides of the nose behind the engine cowling. We intend to release the heavier armed four cannon version with the adjustable cooling slots next after the first ProfiPACK A-4 kit. The rest will be left to the Royal Class package, other ProfiPACK kits and the Weekend Edition offerings. October‘s ProfiPACK kit is naturally in the usual form with five marking options, masks and photoetched brass accessories."

Edited by Masinissa
  • Like 1

Well, my overtrees A-4 arrived today. Eduard made a real winner. The kit features the most restrained panel line and rivet detail ever done by Eduard. And the price is excellent.

Clever design avoids the greatest pitfall of the Hasegawa kits, ejector pin marks in the wheel wells.

And many extra parts will be handy for those who have any older kits of other manufacturers.

Vedran

11 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Well, my overtrees A-4 arrived today. Eduard made a real winner. The kit features the most restrained panel line and rivet detail ever done by Eduard. And the price is excellent.

Clever design avoids the greatest pitfall of the Hasegawa kits, ejector pin marks in the wheel wells.

And many extra parts will be handy for those who have any older kits of other manufacturers.

Vedran

Thank's for posting this.

I haven't purchased the kit yet, since I'm waiting for the Royal Class kit to come out. It also looks like the extra flat fuselage gun cover for the 190A-5 may come in handy since I lost one when I was building a DML A-5. Dragon Care refused to let me purchase a replacement sprue.:wonder:

From what you described about the fine recessed lines and rivet detail I would say that Eduard's investment in their new state of the art tool making machine earlier this year has paid off. I think in one of their Newsletters they mentioned that the Fw-190A-3/4 would be the first kits made using their new machine.:penguin: Looks like Eduard will be taking more of my money!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Released - ref. R.0016 - Fw 190A-4/Trop "Royal Class"

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pg/EduardCompany/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1884649031550035

This model built from December new Royal Class Fw 190A EARLY VERSIONS (A-2/3/4) kit in 1/48 scale. It represents the Fw 190A-4/Trop machine, colour scheme ‘M’- W. Nr. 145614, EKdo 19, Benghazi, Lybia, November 1943. Built by Jakub Nademlejnský. Dust filters on the cowlings are made from resin and they are a part of the kit. 

24774936_1885671598114445_61876281248043

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was looking to add a fw-190 to my collection and happened upon the scalemates page and saw the A3 version. 

Is there any news on this as I can't find any other info online. Would love to see it released.

Edited by Mike Esposito

• 4 months later...
On 21/06/2018 at 16:32, Mike Esposito said:

Yes. I see that it has the simplified engine. Very disappointing as it is the same price as the older releases that did have the detailed BMW 801 radial.

The guys at Eduard chose to ease the model's construction on this newly tooled models. The four to five decal schemes plus the etch fret and canopy masks still make the kit worth the pricetag of the older ones.