Nikon D7200

huvut76g7gbbui7

I'm a Nikon user - D200, D700, D40x, V1 and D3s. The 7200 is a very nice bit of kit. Look for Thom Hogan's website

WWW.dslrbodies.com

for reviews and stuff. And when you do buy one, get his User Guide as well - I have one for every Nikon I've ever owned, and they're well with the money.

Thank you both for replying.

I posted looking for opinions as I was swithering about spending the money but to be honest I had almost decided !

The two lenses I am looking at are a Sigma 18 - 200 for normal usage and a Nikon 200 -500 for the 'real' stuff.

The guy in the Glasgow Camera Centre let me play with them and even in terrible light and heavy rain the results were streets ahead of what I have.

Richard

I'd recommend going all-Nikon for your lenses. Sigma do OK, but I've yet to find any 3rd party lenses that compare to Nikkors. Almost everyone I've spoken to has ended up replacing their Sigma glass with the real thing at some point, so save yourself some money, time and trouble and just start out right. :)

The other thing to consider is which way around the zoom collar works - every Sigma zoom I've ever used has the zoom the wrong way around ie the collar rotates the other way to the Nikon lens for any required action. Not a big thing maybe, until you miss a shot because you went out instead of in. And if you're going to use the Sigma as your main lens, when you get to the serious stuff through the big gun, I think it will be an issue - the last thing you need when shooting under pressure is to have to think about how your gear works.

I could rabbit on for hours. (Yeah, I'm one of those sad sacks.) PM me if you want pick what little brain I have, and either way, enjoy your new thing. Because it'll be a very nice new thing.

• Like 1

These pics were taken with my Nikon 3200 in the caves of Drach at Easter this year.

No flash, just the cave lighting which was actually VERY dim although it doesn't look it. We were almost 'feeling' our way around.

I really didn't think any kind of 'simple' photography would even work.

Camera just on Auto-everything as I didn't want to fiddle about in the dark.

All I've done to the pics is reduce them to 32% file size to upload. No lightening, sharpening, tweaking or anything.

What you see is what the Nikon took.

Roy.

DSC_0058a_zpsubnkjryl.jpg

DSC_0042a_zps6pgznbjt.jpg

DSC_0056a_zpsz6lumuym.jpg

• Like 2

I dumped my Olympus gear 6 years ago (E1 E3 and E500) - funnily enough the 500 took the best pics - and moved to Nikon (D700) and never looked back.

Just upgraded to the D810, that trade in bonus was too good to ignore, I think it runs till the end of the month.

Friends of mine are using the 7200 and love it.

If you take lots of aircraft shots this time of year , the nikon really likes high ISO if you shoot in raw , and I have taken shots just after sunset (behind thick overcast) and you wouldnt know it.

Modern nikon digitals certainly have banished film to the once upon a time era.

I also gave up using non nikon lenses a long time ago - the sigmas just didnt have the edge definition - soft nose and tail - sharp centre frame.

Yep I like Nikon stuff D3100 & D5500 . Lenses I have are the 35mm prime, kit lenses & 55-300mm ED VR

Looked at the Tamron 16-300 but was put off by the price and lenses that offer an excessively wide range,

are apparently optically comprised at the extremes, according to the books.

One of my Canon loving colleagues refers to Nikon as "the dark side" !

I did not enquire any further as to why, so I am still in the dark !

Well I took your advice and went all Nikon. D7200 ,18 - 105 and 200 -500 lenses.

Am now dusting down little grey cells and have gone back to school to learn how to use it.Unfortunately it's raining monsoon style here at moment and almost dark.

Thank you all again for your friendly advice.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I have D90, D7000 and D7100, bought in that order. I had the first two for quite a while: I missed a shot where I was about 15 feet from a buzzard eating a carcass, it looked up and saw me, with blood all over it's chest, I knelt down to change lenses (from short to long, as it were), looked up again and he scarpered. So I vowed then to have two lenses ready to shoot at all times. In terms of lenses I have the 18-105, 70-300 and a 50mm, all Nikons, but I also have Sigmas (shock horror!) 10-20, fab for wide angles without resorting to fisheye, a 150-500 which was good when it worked but twice the electrics packed up on it, and my most recent buy, a 300mm f2.8, as I could never afford a Nikon one at twice the price. I'd love a huge Nikon lens but not at those prices, I don't think I could justify to myself forking out £6000 on a lump of plastic, metal and glass maybe 20" long, unless I had some serious dosh to play with in the first place. That being said I did get to try out a D4s and 500mm lens at a Calumet stand at Cosford a few years back. Ten grand sat on top of a tripod!

These are usually used for astrophotography, aircraft, birds and landscapes

I've just purchased a D810 and upgraded by D7100 to a D7200. The latter is the high end enthusiasts body so your going to love it. I owned the 7000 before upgrading to 7100 and now upgraded again. The improvement s since the 7000 have all been well executed. I use the range of Nikon 2.8s from 14-24 up to the 300 prime . All works heavenly with the 7200. Happy shooting

• Like 1

• 9 months later...