Combat Models 1/72nd Martin Mars : Fuselage together..

Thanks guys, I had to slow down for a bit with modelling but I'm back up to speed, taking stuff into work too to do in between jobs which is a bonus too now, got the Mars up to where it is as it's easier working on them at work than home (too messy sanding).

Dry fitted the wings today, my god it's BIG.

Its getting there Radleigh I want to see it with the wings on just to get a feel of size !!

Guy

• Like 1

Hi Radleigh,

I've only just come across this thread. Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out. Having been thoroughly spoiled by Tominari San's Dynavector vacforms I run scared of ID or Combat models kits, but I always like to see how others do it. You've prompted me to buy the CMR resin kit of Phillipines Mars. It should make a nice comparison with F-RSIN's Latecoere 631.

• Like 1

Guy, I will get a pic soon for you, I will put it against something too..

Joseph, that's a nice model I am also working on the CMR resin Mars while building this. Be nice to see a WIP from you? I will get some photos put up in here shortly.

Few more photos taken with my camera at last...

Please ignore the air holes and rough surface (the bottom hull section has had quite a bit of P38...! Solid as a rock now though.), it's going to take me quite a while to completely smooth this off and get it to the standard I want, then I'll be adding surface detail... I'm in two minds what to do with the cockpit. Do I cut off a small section and build a cockpit and replace or do I cut out the window apertures and fill with clear parts. I don't think you'll see much of the cockpit. Will have to think about it before I proceed....

Some photos though, taken of a piece of off-cut kitchen worktop.

26252905894_6c36ab76f4_c.jpg

26585366840_9451aea1f0_c.jpg

26253930023_4544f6a371_c.jpg

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 6

Good to see you making headway with this again, Radders.

Regarding the cockpit - if it were me I'd remove the crown area, detail it, and use the canopy provided. Mask windows and give a good spray. How does the kit cockpit piece shape up? Is it useable?

I expect to see this at Telford...

• Like 2

Good to see you making headway with this again, Radders.

Regarding the cockpit - if it were me I'd remove the crown area, detail it, and use the canopy provided. Mask windows and give a good spray. How does the kit cockpit piece shape up? Is it useable?

I expect to see this at Telford...

Thanks Tom, I am really enjoying this build, more so than the Hudson. I think one reason why I've not done much on that was because I cut out too much on the cockpit area and can't be bothered to go back and sort it. (another reason why I joined the Mars together as one) I won't make that mistake with this, I will measure 30+ times and cut once on the Mars. Off the top of my head, the clear part was good (It's still bubble wrapped up in a bag). I will dig it out today and have a look, Mrs is off out and I'm tiling but I'm sure I can give myself an hour or two on it.... ;)

Radders*, if you plan on being in Oshkosh this year, Kermit Weeks has announced that he is teaming up with the owner of one of the Mars' to bring it this year- Great photo op!!

https://www.facebook.com/KermitWeeks/posts/1062169947185417

Would love to go, but I have a zero chance sadly. I will get to Sproat Lake one day..

A lot of careful work done here and the fuselage is nearly there, much respect for the filling and sanding on the keel/bottom. Agree with Tom on the cockpit. It's a big beastie!
Best regards

Tony

Thanks John & Joseph :)

Few more photos I hadn't uploaded.

26399821514_18dd84a6a3_c.jpg

Ignore the bits, just a rough coat to check seams. All good bar a few pin holes. I have an update I just haven't had time to sort photos and get them up. These were already done just not online! :)

26972017696_1f6f3511f2_c.jpg

• Like 6

And I keep thinking that the 1/144 Air Craft Models kit that I keep almost starting is too bloody big!

I'm waiting for my CMR kit at the moment. Even in 1/144 it'll have a wingspan of 16.7 inches - the Mars is a big beastie even by today's standards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Little update -

Lots of filling, sanding, filling sanding.. but the tail is now on. However I'm not happy with the leading edge, it's too chunky so I'm going to sort that out before I go any further, it needs to be more pointed..

Wing spar attached that will be trimmed with a dremel, it's all marked out but I won't touched that until the cockpit is done, cut out and glazing added.

Some pics.

27699115205_c57bb6e084_c.jpg

27624487561_5fdde29738_c.jpg

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 7

Joseph, that's a nice model I am also working on the CMR resin Mars while building this. Be nice to see a WIP from you? I will get some photos put up in here shortly.

It'll be a wee while before I'm doing any more modelling due to a house move, but I'd like to follow up on your suggestion. It'll be a straight from the box job so probably not much to see. The kit's arrived and I'm looking forward to getting started. I fancy getting my hands on CMR's Marshall Mars for the Sea Blue scheme and possibly one of the Anigrand Convair Tradewinds. I've always thought the Tradewind was a beautiful 'plane aft of the propeller warning line.

Edited by JosephLalor

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...