Combat Models 1/72nd Martin Mars : Fuselage together..

Hello all..

As some people know I set up the IPMS Water Bomber SIG this year, which means I actually have to finish more models...I have a CL-215 in for paint, a Tracker in primer, a C-130 nearing primer, a Mach2 Savage that is causing me no-end of grief... so why not get started on a Combat Models vacform Martin Mars!

Tom Probert raised his eyes when he saw it... so it's going to be quite fun to say the least. I do have a few vacs on the go but nothing finished due to losing interest in them (due to their subjects) so I've boxed them back up ready for another day.... this however I do have lots of interest in! :)

Moulding is quite poor in a few areas on the mating edges, there are lumps from a damaged mould I guess, so they are going to need rebuilding.. if I was to sand them away the model won't fit together properly, so I'm trying to think of a way around it - along with very thin plastic, it's certainly going to test my lack of skills and patience.

Just one photo for now - I've got a tonne of free plasticard off my dad so will start work on the bulkheads very soon!

22922050724_572cebbab0_b.jpgCombat Models Vacform 1/72nd Martin Mars by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr

Thanks for looking in....

:)

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 14

Hmm

Would ye be so kind sir to add my raised eyebrows to those of the venerable Tom please sir, please?

That has the inevitable air of EEK! about it if I ever saw it

I'm amazed that the Mars can even lift itself off water in a straight line with two so very different planing surfaces on opposite sides

Maybe the water pushes it off in revulsion :)

No seriously Radleigh, I am sure that you and the chaps in Dolgellau can find sufficient Milliput to sort that out

I am going to enjoy watching you make this one do as it's told

It does look like a huge beastie, kudos for taking it on

• Like 1

Well it's about time Radders, that thing's been lurking around your stash for almost a month now, wondered if you were ever going to build it....(Haven't even taken my Phantom out of the bin bag yet !). Looks sufficiently basic to be a lot of fun. It'll certainly be an impressive size when done...full beaching gear I take it ?

• Like 1

Another contender for the "Spank me with a shovel" award...

Radleigh, you should post it on the French forum you joined (master194), there are some water bombers enthusiasts there.

Cheers,

S.

Edited by Sebastien
  • Like 1

This is going to be really cool!

Martin

Thanks Martin, I hope so!

And I keep thinking that the 1/144 Air Craft Models kit that I keep almost starting is too bloody big!

I have the CMR 1/144th kit half built but I've stopped because it'll be a good guide for the windows... but you're right, that's pretty big!

Can't wait to see this. I bought one a couple of months ago but not sure if I'll ever have the skill or nerve to build it!

Go for it Glen, I don't have the skill, just looking at other peoples builds & patience..

Radleigh,

Nice start and look forward to this very much.

:goodjob: { Could not give you a LIKE as I have none left :banghead: }

Thanks Houston!

Hmm

Would ye be so kind sir to add my raised eyebrows to those of the venerable Tom please sir, please?

That has the inevitable air of EEK! about it if I ever saw it

I'm amazed that the Mars can even lift itself off water in a straight line with two so very different planing surfaces on opposite sides

Maybe the water pushes it off in revulsion :)

No seriously Radleigh, I am sure that you and the chaps in Dolgellau can find sufficient Milliput to sort that out

I am going to enjoy watching you make this one do as it's told

It does look like a huge beastie, kudos for taking it on

Thanks Bill, it's big alright... 33" wide, 19" long...

Easy ones only, huh? You have my attention & not a little admiration for even starting this beast!

Thanks! :)

I'd leave home now.......

LOL

Well it's about time Radders, that thing's been lurking around your stash for almost a month now, wondered if you were ever going to build it....(Haven't even taken my Phantom out of the bin bag yet !). Looks sufficiently basic to be a lot of fun. It'll certainly be an impressive size when done...full beaching gear I take it ?

I've been itching since I got it, but needed to get a move on with other stuff before this hit the bench... It's not as bad as first though, I've cleaned the edges up and I'm pretty confident it'll go together quite well.. Full beach gear too... ^_^

Well as you know Radleigh, patience is a virtue, building vacs will make you have patience of a saint, are you going to build it with undercarriage frame.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/TimberWest-(Flying-Tankers)/Martin-JRM-3-Mars/1031788/L/

As above, full beach gear, I'm looking forward to scratch building that :winkgrin:

Another contender for the "Spank me with a shovel" award...

Radleigh, you should post it on the French forum you joined (master194), there are some water bombers enthusiasts there.

Cheers,

S.

Will post there today, was a bit busy over the weekend. Thanks too! :)

• Like 1

I just rang my financial broker to buy shares in Milliput and Squadron Green Stuff - I'm going to make a fortune !!

You certainly like tackling the big/hard stuff Radders - more power to your elbow.

I'll follow this with interest.

Ken

• Like 2

I just rang my financial broker to buy shares in Milliput and Squadron Green Stuff - I'm going to make a fortune !!

You certainly like tackling the big/hard stuff Radders - more power to your elbow.

I'll follow this with interest.

Ken

Thanks Ken, most of the nitty gritty work is nearly done on the fuselage now I couldn't resist not working on it, all bulkheads made and fitted, just got some fettling to do on the joining edges as it's a bit banana shaped but it looks promising!

Raving mad, I say raving mad!!!!!!!

^_^

Bulkheads, bulkheads and more bulkheads. That's what the thin Combat Models plastic needs. This 1/72 Mars will be very cool! That red and white painting (water bomber) is very beautiful!

I've added x3 large bulkheads to each fuselage half, x2 long strengthening plates along the inside (plasticard cut to shape and stuck down flat) and x15 smaller bulkheads and both sides are as solid as a rock, so I'm pretty happy with it, I may just add some strips of plastic to the rear end as it's a bit flimsy to hold and I made that mistake with the Sanager IL-76 as the plastic could easily be split/pushed through... It's not very neat but will get a photo later... it then slots together with some tabs added to the edges :)

• Like 2

This looks interesting love the Mars I wonder if we will ever see a 1/72nd injection moulded version !!!

I will be following along with this one happy modelling Radleigh.

Guy

• Like 1

Nah, too small. I want 1/48! :winkgrin:

bob

I'm sure I could handle the 66" wingspan if someone did one! ;)

This looks interesting love the Mars I wonder if we will ever see a 1/72nd injection moulded version !!!

I will be following along with this one happy modelling Radleigh.

Guy

Thanks Guy, most probably after mines complete...... ^_^

Little update, as said above, all bulkheads in both sides now.... x18 in each side plus I've added sheet to the inside walls to thicken them up as they were very thin!

I had to cut the tail off as I think it'll be easier to work with once I know I have a good strong fuselage to attach it too, I've also trimmed the back end and I will reshape that with Milliput when the time comes..... (it sat against the other side but was odd in shape)

It's going to be a heavy when done, so the beaching gear will have to be solid when I build it... most likely get it cast with metal inserts I think.

Few photos of the fit as it's nearly ready to be closed up - it looks worse than it is.. the top join by the wing root isn't sitting flush but some alterations to a bulkhead should sort that. Also, the hull is going to need profiling when it's glued together.. the hull tip is pretty straight but there are two areas that will need sorting to make it perfect. I have wing spars too but not added yet as they would be in the way when handling so once it's ready to be closed I will get them cut into the wing roots.

You will also notice it's going to go together with no added cockpit, I will be copying Tom as per his C-17 and cut the crown area off, add cockpit then glue it all back on... should be a lot easier! If I hadn't seen Tom do that I may have done it another way and made a complete boo-boo of it...

Some rough piccys....

23036926803_81eb0278dc_c.jpg

23581551681_e1f5b84aa2_c.jpg

23637918356_a8a71fa9c8_c.jpg

23036940633_7baa1618a4_c.jpg

23296067279_ba82580c3e_c.jpg

23581571401_cfe084ffe9_c.jpg

• Like 8

sheesh, its huge and gonna weigh a bit with all filler required.. great project!

Thanks chaps, interesting to say the least... Work has now officially slowed right down, I'm off Monday to Malta to get hitched... I was just very eager to get the bulkheads in to give me a head start later on..

Mental 'ye....

Going to be a bit of a beast when it's done (and a monster to get it there I'd wager).

It's a monster at 33" wide and 19" long so transportation might be an issue, but I'm not worried I will sort something. ;)

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting married! I suppose the model might be seen by the new Mrs Radleigh as a bit of a gooseberry on your honeymoon if you took it with you to work on?

Martin

• Like 1