Hi Paul, that's a good start for your first WIP. Monogram made some cracking kits over the years. I think you will make a good job of your Voodoo. Joe

• Like 1

Hi Paul, that's a good start for your first WIP. Monogram made some cracking kits over the years. I think you will make a good job of your Voodoo. Joe

Hello,Joe - Many thanks for your very kind reply.It's much appreciated.I hope I can do both the subject and Monogram justice with my efforts.I'll certainly try my best.All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Paul, you have choosen a nice c/s. Looking forward to progres. Reading this WIP lots of interest in the build, great.

Jan Remco

Great work so far, I've been trying to find one of these beauties for a while now so I have bookmarked this thread for future use.

Hello,Jan and Silver Fox - Many thanks,gentlemen,to you both for your very kind replies and interest in my first WIP.I'll be posting some more cockpit photos as it develops as soon as I can.All the very best to you both,Paul.

Ladder shots. pale yellow (chromate?) with bare alloy handles, could be hung either side.

air-34_zps5bmu6did.jpg

air-56_zpsv4dc8ial.jpg

bigtoe1_new_zpsgxwhdluu.jpg

Hello,Bentwaters81TFW - Thank you very much indeed for these photos.The ladder detail is very interesting and all being well I'll have a go at scratch building one.I've never seen a Voodoo in real life but even in model form I'm impressed with the size of the type.All the very best,Paul.

Nice looking cockpit painting you've done and those early Voodoo photos are interesting for me as I can see the similarities between the single and dual seat versions. Check the internet for photos as that boarding ladder was a lot more cumbersome than the version we used. Not sure what Guard units were using. A lot of the CAF equipment was manufacturer recommended so likely similar. The kit provides 2 "stubby" external tanks which each aircraft had to fly at least once per year, or something like that. But they restricted access to the engine so they were not carried any more than they had to.

• Like 1

Hello,Friends - Progress is steadily being made on instrument panels and have now started the detail painting on the ejector seats.I will post some more photos as these items develop.I've found this photo of the 'Voodoo' flown by the 'Texans'.I intend to finish my build in this scheme.All the very best,Paul.

image_zpsildtbepq.jpeg

The only approved F-101 color scheme here in the Lone Star State.

I saw one of these arrive at an air show in Ohio back in the '70s. As it taxied in to its assigned parking space, the crew flew a Texas flag on a staff from a bracket on the windshield frame. When they exited the aircraft, they were wearing orange flight suits, white cowboy boots, and white Stetson hats (orange and white are the colors of The University of Texas). Gotta hand it to 'em for style!

• Like 1

First class job on the cockpit Paul. Very well done. Regards, Joe

Hello,Joe - Thank you very much.All I've done is try to highlight what Monogram had created.Even at this early stage in the build,my admiration for this kit is growing and considering the level of detail they produced thirty years ago it makes me wonder what they would achieve with today's modern manufacturing processes.I'm looking forward to turning my attention to the airframe now.All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

I worked on the CF version when I was in the CAF. The kit is quite accurate with just subtle errors. If you have an old issue of FSM, from April '88, check the reader gallery for my build of it. Are you interested building ladders for it? Pretty well impossible to get into the monster with them. Those Texan birds have the small duct opening on the Vertical stab leading edge, just forward of the word "Texas".

Would be glad to answer any questions you have about the aircraft but my experience is only with the CF version.

Keeping an eye on your progress.

Which Squadron?

I'm a former Lynx.

• Like 1

Although you are not building a CF version, I thought I would put these two in your thread as some may find them still interesting. The first was taken at Maple Flag spring '83 at CFB Cold Lake. A water based camo was applied with mops for some lower level work. It was removed upon arrival back at Comox. The second was 057 as it was getting painted in Hawk One colours, in Feb '84. I'm noticing in photos of ANG aircraft they always seem to have the flaps retracted when parked. While we would have them extended, they were either full up or down, nothing in between. Check flickr for some shots of ANG aircraft before retirement.

SharpPMmaxxam.lab_20151222_134357_00006b

Edited by baldwin8
  • Like 2

I recall taking pictures of Hawk 1 in Edmonton during the summer of 84 and there were 4 other Voodoo's there with the mop jobs.

I wish Kittyhawk would hurry up with their CF-101 release, I know the decals are done for it.

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I'm glad you finally decided to post your first WIP. As expected, you are producing a superb work on this fantastically detailed kit. The work you did on the cockpit is really impressive. Congrats :goodjob:

I have Revell's 1/72 version and will be following your build closely.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I'm glad you finally decided to post your first WIP. As expected, you are producing a superb work on this fantastically detailed kit. The work you did on the cockpit is really impressive. Congrats :goodjob:

I have Revell's 1/72 version and will be following your build closely.

Cheers

Jaime

Hello,Jaime - Many thanks for your very kind and much appreciated reply.I'm trying to do my best with it and to do the kit justice too.Happy Festive Landings,Paul.
  • Like 1

Hello Paul,

Some impressive work on the cockpit you have done.

Jan Remco

Hello,Jan - Merry Christmas and many thanks for your kind and much appreciated reply.Any credit must go to Monogram with the detail quality they created in the kit itself.I've just highlighted what was already there.I hope to post an update shortly.The cockpit section is now in place and the fuselage is together.Happy Festive Fettling!! All the very best,Paul.
  • Like 1

Merry Christmas,Friends - Just managed a little 'Festive Fettling' and progress.The cockpit section is installed,fuselage halves together and the coaming and nose section attached.I added a little nose weight to be on the safe side.I found the nose section fitted like a glove.The sheer size of this aircraft has also impressed me.All the very best,Paul.

image.jpg1_zpsnda99vl7.jpg

image.jpg2_zpshnydrrof.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsljtorjmf.jpg

• Like 4

Looking great, Paul :)

Thank you very much indeed,Jaime.The length of this type has surprised me to a degree.Hopefully when she's finished she'll make an interesting comparison against her Mc.Donnell-Douglas stablemates.The next phase is to work on the wing sections.All the very best to you for the New Year,Paul.

Your looking in good shape Paul. I do recall a bit of gap between the wing and fuselage if memory serves correctly, but nothing you can't overcome. it was a very big beast parked on the flightline. Happy Holidays, keep modelling.

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1