Fishy Rust Bucket

beefy66

This next bit is the bit I like seeing you do

Cheers

K

Will try not to diappoint your entertainment then K

Nice pose for the ship Keith, and I agree with Kayell here; this is where you show off your mastery of putting your builds in right pose at sea. :goodjob:

Not to sure about the mastery bit but I do like to show my builds in a sort of realistic setting Cheers Julian

The silicone artist strikes again, shaping up nicely

Tell me (please) how do you get your colour in the silicone or is it what's painted underneath?

Kev

Will be getting round to that bit soon Kev

Beefy

This is going to look like the front cover of a packet of Fisherman's Friends

How did you guess what I was trying to do Darby :winkgrin:

This is going to be the really fun bit! Thanks to this thread, I ended forking out for an original Revell Kandahar kit yesterday. I have fond memories of my father helping my build it one Christmas afternoon.

Martin

Cheers Martin glad you are enjoying the fun and games

Personally I would say she's riding too high in the "water".

These ships were fairly deep draught for their length / breadth, were expertly and highly ballasted (supplies / fuel / ice / fresh water outgoing, replaced by catch ((hopefully) or seawater homebound)) and generally considered as superb sea riding ships. They were designed for strength / stability and were usually very low riding in the water.

They were incredibly interesting boats as far as the Royal Navy was concerned and many were used in Navy Service to great effect. Google - Royal Navy Trawler... Fascinating stuff!

Thanks again Murdo for the link after seeing some photos on the net understand what you mean they do sit pretty low in the water these ships will dig a bit more out from the foam but still want to try and show her bow out of the waves

Paramount.jpg

Benarkle%202.jpg

Something a bit like these I hope

Beefy

• Like 2

They were designed to powerfully drag something quite heavy with a lot of resistance a fair distance down and behind the ship so if there's a trawl out then the bow would ride high but amidships to stern would be low. Nothing wrong with bow high and lots of sea water / spray covering and running off the decks to the stern.

As far as "ships" go, although powerful, they were actually quite small and often operated in long, deep ocean swells.

The "PD 400" boat (Peterhead?) is quite a bit shorter but possibly as wide as the top pic and that will give a different sea riding.

Not criticising mate, just trying to help. This looks superb!

Here's an interesting link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlw-psIYrgQ

Just bear in mind that it's running for port and not trawling.

They were designed to powerfully drag something quite heavy with a lot of resistance a fair distance down and behind the ship so if there's a trawl out then the bow would ride high but amidships to stern would be low. Nothing wrong with bow high and lots of sea water / spray covering and running off the decks to the stern.

As far as "ships" go, although powerful, they were actually quite small and often operated in long, deep ocean swells.

The "PD 400" boat (Peterhead?) is quite a bit shorter but possibly as wide as the top pic and that will give a different sea riding.

Not criticising mate, just trying to help. This looks superb!

Here's an interesting link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlw-psIYrgQ

Just bear in mind that it's running for port and not trawling.

Murdo you could have put a warning on that video was nearly sea sick watching it :sick:

The missus says I Need all the help I can get mate thanks for your feedback appreciate it have a look over this I have lowered the aft part of the hull and added the sides to the base using some hard board from the back of an old wardrode

IMG_20001_zpse5idcz8c.jpg

IMG_20002_zpsdzcx2fyh.jpg

IMG_20003_zpsirxxq0yj.jpg

If this looks OK will then add a layer of silicone to start the sea/waves off this will be about 3 -4 mm thick

When this is dry will prime the base black before starting to set the ship in place and add more shape to the waves.

Beefy

• Like 14

A chap losing his breakfast over the side would be a nice addition to the diorama.

Martin

Wonder if the fish would take the bate Martin :Tasty:

I would say that's starting to look suitably violent. :thumbsup:

Glad you approve mate and thanks for those links

Looking amazing so far.

Thanks KP not quite the elegant style of your latest build :thumbsup2:

Beefy

• Like 1

That's shaping up nicely Beefy mate.

foxy :coolio:

Thanks Foxy glad you like it so far

So another small update first layer of silicone on base sides primed and painted also gave the silicone a coat of black as an under coat then started with the colors various green, blue grey and white

then set the ship into base at a slight list to Port side as not trawling any nets will leave to dry out now for a couple of days ans get back to starting on the other diorama my Vosper dockside

IMG_30001_zpswwttxrzm.jpg

IMG_30003_zpstyzesno7.jpg

IMG_30007_zpsal5msii5.jpg

IMG_30008_zpszzfq4g8x.jpg

IMG_30010_zpsdj6fjrm1.jpg

Beefy

• Like 7

Ahh you have a very sharp eye there Darby old chap

Thought I had got away with that but with this wet weather that never looks like leaving us I have to have dry socks mate at least it shows I wash them from time to time :winkgrin:

Beefy

• Like 2

Ahh you have a very sharp eye there Darby old chap

Thought I had got away with that but with this wet weather that never looks like leaving us I have to have dry socks mate at least it shows I wash them from time to time :winkgrin:

Beefy

Yeah, I'm a sock troll.

• Like 1

Another with web feet me spy's :) .

Great looking scene this will be.

foxy :coolio:

Thanks Foxy

I take it the smell of fish is why you have to keep it in the shed? :fish::)

Sorry but no smell of fish in the garage just paint and silicone fumes unless it is time to change my socks again :winkgrin::who-let-rip:

Beefy

Perhaps you should put a few prawns in the hold. :whistle: That should sort things out and make it more realistic. :wicked:

Not to sure that Mrs Beefy would like that and have to keep on her good side otherwise the socks do not get washed :shutup:

Looking really good Keith, love the presentation :goodjob:

Thanks Julian

I see you have yourself some new :bling: you don,t happen to have a little bald mate called Minime do you Oh yeah Baby

Could not resist that last bit will have to start taking the tablets again :evil_laugh:

Beefy

• Like 1