Any aftermarket items for 1/48 Airfix kits

Tony C

Hi all,

As the title says, are there any aftermarket sets available for the Airfix Bedford MWD and Albion Refueller?

Tried Hannants and can't see anything.

On a similar note, anything also available for the Airfix Warrior, Supacat Coyote and WMIK and Snatch Land Rovers?

Vehicles aren't normally 'my thing' but having fallen for the Airfix Black Friday Sale, thought I might have a go...!

Thanks

Edited by Tony C

...so you're about to spend more on teeny-tiny bits of brass than you saved in the Sale? I know that feeling.... ;-P

I have a feeling that there's some etch bar armour for at least one of the vehicles. It might actually have been made by Airfix.

Edit:

here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-A65004-Warrior-Photo-Etched-Accessory-Parts-1-48-Scale-New-/252020621869?hash=item3aad99822d:g:Hm0AAOSw~gRVnR9l

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Dog-E48004-1-48-British-Supacat-Coyote-TSV-L-Accessories-/301812335297?hash=item46456ac2c1:g:H9AAAOSwwE5WXJ9C

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-1-48-Land-Rover-Wmik-Photo-Etch-Parts-British-Model-Kit-Set-a65001-/131311826192?hash=item1e92cb7510:g:BegAAOSwT5tWHRH6

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

Inside the Armour have etch sets for both the Bedford and Albion: http://www.insidethearmour.com

Better hurry though as he has announced he is closing up shop to new orders on Dec 14th this year, and will not be selling on any of the molds etc, so once he closes, the entire range will be gone for good. Shame really as he also does a rather nice set of etch for the 1/48 Tamiya Dingo (which includes a No19 radio set) and a set of generic hand tools and tool boxes.

Only just noticed the new deadline for orders, previously it was the 31st, ordered what I want while typing this, just too make sure I get it.

Good luck. Someone really does need to make a set of etch bar armour for the Warrior, how to go about the lattice though I think is the problem.

Edit: Hauler http://www.hauler.cz also do etch sets for the Albion and Bedford. Images are pretty thin, so not sure exactly what each includes.

Edited by bull-nut

• 5 months later...

Try Red Zebra Models http://www.redzebramodels.co.uk. He has load bed sets for the MWD, Army and RAF Style, and the Tilly. he also has "flimsy" fuel cans, ration boxes, crates, rolled tarps and some other bits. I've got some of his 1/35 sets and 1/48 sets for the Airfix modern Jackal, Coyote, Rovers and Quad. Very nice. These may be the eBay links in the previous post: he sells there too. I did hear that Value Gear were moving into 1/48 next.

• Like 1

Bump.....FAO aftermarket producers. :poke:

The Airfix 1/48 Warrior NEEDS better slat armour.....Who will rise to the challenge? :shrug:

I think the problem with this is that the slat armour is still current issue, therefore getting details on the attachment points will be nigh on impossible (I know several people who work at MoD procurement, and I've learned very quickly NOT to ask questions around current equipment). The warrior running around the arena at Tankfest last year (Video) had it's bars shrouded in camo netting, possibly to prevent anyone taking detailed pictures of it?

I'd doubt it was the armour they were hiding.....This stuff's been around since the forties. :shrug:

I suspect that the difficulties pointed out elsewhere (orientation of the bars) is one of the main reasons we haven't seen an etch set yet, but I don't think it would actually be much more complex to design than a big set of aircraft flaps.....Make a fold, insert vertical wires etc. :nerd:

So come on aftermarket manufacturers, fingers out.....It's British (& Airfix) after all! :pray:

Bit late to this party but...

Wheels are a weak point on several vehicles. Landrover, Coyote and Jackal covered by Rhino from A2Zee/Alleycat Models. The Bedford is catered for very well by DEF Model.

As mentioned Airfix market etched sets made for them by Eduard. Hauler also do them and cover the refueller and Bedford as well.

They are all good kits and addressing the above will result in very nice replicas.

Regarding the slat armour etched brass may not be the best solution. It is quite chunky in real life and the brass used in etch sets tends to be rather thin, to my eye many models end up looking rather more delicate than they should. I have considered 10thou strip jig-drilled with plastic rod but life is too short....

Only just realised this was originally your thread Tony.....Kinda ironic really. :winkgrin:

I've got a fully AMed up Jackal on the shelves and want to get the same sort of goodies for the Warrior.....I'm guessing the lack of a slat-armour set may have been a factor in your decision to let it go? :hmmm:

Sort of, was given one as a present, after I had already bought one myself!

Still intend to build the one I've got, along with the Coyote and the Jackel, hence the reason for my original question as I suffer from a disorder which means if there's an aftermarket kit available, I MUST use it... :lol:

I think these kits merit it.....Airfix have attempted to replicate quite a lot of detail, but injection plastic (at least in their moulds) just isn't quite fine enough for the job. :confused:

Having said that, once you've seen what I've seen in Flyhawk boxes, you will be even less impressed by Airfix efforts, my 1/72 Luchs has a star antenna in plastic:

Flyhawk%20Luchs%20-%2003_zps4u0ee3vp.jpg

Found this (scroll to the bottom): http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1465913912/Continuing+saga.....

72slat%20002_zpszxpsyh7m.png

72slat%20004_zpsr5gpboxx.png

72slat%20005_zpsyal1obh4.png

This is not for the Warrior, it's actually Model Collect slat armour for a 1/72 T-72.....But at least we know it can be done now and perhaps who we might pester to upgrade the Warrior. :coolio:

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The lack of a slat armour set for this kit is really giving me the hump now!  :wall:

Anybody fancy joining me in pestering OKB about it.....Or does anybody know who to annoy at Eduard or one of the other mainstream etch-makers?  :shrug:

Failing that, is there a decent guide to backdating the kit anywhere?  Maybe to something like this:

spacer.png

To backdate to an UNPROFOR (Bosnia) or Operation Granby (Desert Storm) specification you would need to replace the front armour (different style), side armour panels (kit parts are too short for a vehicle this age), remove the belly armour from the kit, replace the driver's hatch with an earlier single periscope type, add extra periscopes to the rear deck (the locations are actually defined by where the air-con and ECM cables plug into the roof) and build new rear stowage bins. There may be a couple of other visual elements as well, but I think that about covers it.

All of it is 'do-able' but it won't be easy. I'm planning on doing the same thing to my Warrior but I keep putting it off...

John

• Like 1