Humbrol satin & matt varnish troubles

At Sea

I always finish my models in Klear for decalling and then seal the decals in Klear, this however leaves them looking a little 'shiny' which is letting down the overall quality of the work.

I tried to use aerosol Humbrol Matt and Satin varnishes from a rattle can but these have left what can only be described as a sparkly finish.

Luckily I tried this out on a 'victim' and not on a work in progress.

My airbrushing skills are coming on but I am much happier with aerosols, especially for large areas.

What do you guys use? Have I missed something with these aerosols?

I am experimenting with a mix of Klear and tamiya flat clear at the moment. Approx 4:1 mixed in a plastic top gave a dull satin effect on a Mustang I have just finished. Brushed on and done for fun not a competition standard. The mix went on consistenly and dried quickly.

• Like 1

I use Humbrol Matt Coat, applied by airbrush. The important thing with all matting products is to mix them thoroughly - and I do mean THOROUGHLY!!

Otherwise the matting agent (talc, mica etc) doesn't mix with the carrier liquid & leaves visible bits. These might account for your sparkly finish.

Cheers

Patrick

• Like 1

I have tried both Humbrol and Tamiya rattle cans. From my experience and using the same technique for both brands the Tamiya usually gives a noticeably better result. However, mixing matt and satin varnishes thoroughly is good advice because of the matting agent.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll try some of the suggested tips, especially the Tamiya Flat Clear & Klear mix through my spray gun.

As for mixing I not only keep my aerosols in the house to keep 'em warm but also rattle them for about 5 mins in any case, but agree the matting agent is almost certainly at fault.

I use humbrol satin cote and haven't had any problems. I did put a ball bearing in to help when mixing up and think it's helped tbh.

Edit - should have added I use this thinned and airbrushed and had no issues.

Edited by Jusjay
  • Like 1

I've discovered Humbrol rattle cans and I like the results. It would eliminate your mixing problems

I did this Spitfire for the BoB group build and was very pleased with the result.

25411DAB-8BFA-4522-8D56-2F6BC35EC622_zps

Trevor

I use Vallejo varnishes for matt finishes. It is remarkable as it produces a much more matt finish than their matt paint.

The varnishes are produced in acrylic resin plus polyurethane. The polyurethane take longer to cure but is a lot hardier.

I stick with the acrylic as it produces such a matt finish.

For gloss for decals etc I stick with Humbrol Clear which I have found to be an excellent product.

For me I use an airbrush as you have perfect control especially on hard to get to parts and were you want to control the thickness.

Laurie

• Like 1