1/32 - Curtiss P-40B/E/M/N/F Kitty Hawk/Tomahawk/Warhawk by Trumpeter - P-40B/E/F/M & N released

Homebee

Trumpeter is to release 1/32nd Curtiss P-40 Kitty Hawk kits in 2016-2021

Source: http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/12/trumpeter-catalogue-2016-2017-lets-see.html#more

- ref. 02211 - Curtiss P-40M Kitty Hawk - released

5f4c5cc82a123.jpg

- ref. 02212 - Curtiss P-40N Warhawk - released

5d1583031dfa1.jpg

- ref. 02228 - Curtiss P-40B Warhawk (Tomahawk Mk.II) - released

55e6937ecae69.jpg

- ref. 02269 - Curtiss P-40E Kitty Hawk - released

5e60577e9eeba.jpg

- ref. 03227 - Curtiss P-40F Kitty Hawk - released

5bd95763eeadb.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

A. I hope its good

B. I hope its accurate

C. I hope its cheaper than the hasegawa kit

D. I hope it has no nasty joins in the fuselage

I've been waiting on a kittyhawk for a while you can keep the hawk and tomahawk I like the long fuselage versions.

On 8/30/2018 at 8:29 PM, Homebee said:

- ref. 03227 - Curtiss P-40F Warhawk - release expected in Asia in late October, early November 2018.

Source: http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.php?g=home&m=article&a=show&id=139&l=en

Box art

5b87417c03600.jpg

V.P.

Of all the boxart that one could use to sell a kit, I’m afraid this image does absolutely nothing for me. I know it’s whats inside that counts, but surely what’s going on here?? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m afraid this image does absolutely nothing for me.

It does to me: I'm jealous... I want the same thing that the artist smokes.

According to the signature it's the same guy who did the HB AMX box art which was pretty wonky also...

HY81741-2.jpg?1533738074

• Haha 2

On 12/5/2015 at 1:59 AM, dazdot said:

C. I hope its cheaper than the hasegawa kit

It's not going to be cheaper than the Hasegawa kit. The 1/32 P-40E kit can be had for $35 plus shipping from hlj.com . I can't imagine that the Trumpeter kit is going to come in under $60.

I would like Trumpeter to start adding more information for the aircraft in the painting sheet. Things such as unit, country where the aircraft was based, name of the pilot, would be welcome additions.

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Stanhauser said:

Looks like the too shallow cockpit and too short seat have carried over from their P-40B/C kits. 

It's also a short tail F. There were 699 of these aircraft of a total production of 1311 F's. The changeover occurring with the P-40F-5-CU. That will make it more difficult to convert this kit to a P-40L, all of which had the longer fuselage.

http://www.p40warhawk.com/Variants/P-40F.htm

While it is hazardous to use a single image as the basis for analysis, my first thought is the upper nose contour is way off and puts the thrust line too low (consider the position of the exhausts compared to the centerline of the spinner). Look how the line of the upper cowling is almost straight to the spinner vs the abrupt drop off of the Trumpeter kit. In contrast the line of the lower cowl is too straight on the kit.

Curtiss_P-40F_Warhawk_41-19841_4_(592330

P-40F_4_(7576586092).jpg

5bf653631669a.jpg

I'm afraid this is a pass for me. I'll stick with the Grey Matter conversions I have for the Hasegawa kit.

Edited by VMA131Marine

Oddly enough, I was just looking at an Aeroplane Monthly with that restoration on the cover, and thought that the intake looked more like an adapted Allison one than the mental image of a Merlin P-40 I'm currently carrying in my head.  Now, I know that's not much, and I haven't done any further investigation, and I'm not generally inclined to give Trumpeter the benefit of the doubt (rather, I'm likely to just give them the doubt), but it is just possible that this individual airframe is not a good one to judge by.  No doubt far more sophisticated analysis will be appearing soon...

Edit: No, this isn't the more sophisticated analysis, but I just found a good side view of Judy Pay's P-40F, and the shape of the underside (chin) certainly appears to be a bit different to the one pictured above.  As for the top, they do seem "flatter" than Trumpeter's appears to be in the photo shown.

Edited by gingerbob

14 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Edit: No, this isn't the more sophisticated analysis, but I just found a good side view of Judy Pay's P-40F, and the shape of the underside (chin) certainly appears to be a bit different to the one pictured above.  As for the top, they do seem "flatter" than Trumpeter's appears to be in the photo shown.

Maybe you'll find this image more convincing:

p40f-5.jpg

Or this

04b642e332dcd1b406a8ff94e8da4575.jpg

Or this

Curtiss_P-40F.jpg

Or this one

biggc%20-%20large.jpg

Thanks, and note the comparative curve of the underside of the Warbird in Post 14.  Perhaps it's just me, but the chin cowl of that one seems much more a continuous curve, whereas the examples shown now curve then "straighten out".  None of which has to do with the shape of the TOP, which certainly does look questionable on the kit.

I've seen chat that TFC's P-40L is actually a more common variant with a Merlin fitted, and some folk can see differences in the cowling shape compared to Judy Pay's F. It's all very messy - if only a Merlin P-40 had been preserved for everyone to use as a reference!

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2019 at 7:35 AM, Homebee said:

Expected in late June 2019 - ref. 02212 - Curtiss P-40N Kitty Hawk

Source: http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.php?g=home&m=article&a=show&id=155&l=en

Box art 

5cccf6ab44882.jpg

V.P.

Anyone planning to sell off their Hasegawa N's in favour of this one, please let me know 😁

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...