Su-24M Fencer - Soviet Naval Aviation

Probably my last one of this year, this is Zvezda's Fencer, with added Neomega cockpit parts in the markings of a Soviet Naval Aviation FENCER of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet in the late 1980s.

wp2e84d256_06.jpg

A good modelling way to end the year, but somewhat dampened by the fact that one of these was shot down over Syria for real during my build. Whatever your opinion on the reasons and justification for the shootdown, I don't think that the resulting loss of life is going to be helpful to anyone.

wp85e80ab8_06.jpg

wpeb8711c4_06.jpg

The kit itself is a little simple and chunky, but nicely engraved and engineered, although the wings seem to be a little plain in comparison to the fuselage. The undercarriage in particular is very well engineered and not too far from the photos in my Aerofax reference book.

wpc4a89920_06.jpg

In my kit Zvezda provided a wide range of weaponry (two extra sprues) and from these I have chosen a AS-14 (Kh-59L) "Kedge" and two AA-8 (R-60) "Aphids" to represent the sort of naval anti-ship outload to be expected in the Baltic.

wp5fc95d8f_06.jpg

The Neomega cockpit parts are superb and really make the model for me, albeit that the minute detail was a little beyond my painting skills!. Nevertheless, at under £10 I think they were money well spent.

wpfffbaa96_06.jpg

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz
Fleeing from Photbucket
  • Like 60

Cool! Just right today i have seen a couple of them exactly (Chernjahovsk AFB, Baltic fleet). Great result Very cool indeed!

P.S.: Lt. col. Oleg Peshkov, rest in peace!

A Little remark: DOUBLE times red banner Baltic fleet/

Edited by Snitok1983

Thanks Snitok1983.

P.S.: Lt. col. Oleg Peshkov, rest in peace!

And also Marine Alexander Pozynich aboard the CSAR helo.

FredT

• Like 2

Hello,Gengriz - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Fencer'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.A fine tribute to a fine aircraft.All the best,Paul.

• 1 year later...