Vintage Airfix 1/72 Vickers Wellington BIII

Hi all,

Had bit of a quiet time on the modelling front this year, was getting a bit tired of trying to detail 1/48 kits so decided to go old skool for a bit of fun and build a classic old 1/72 Airfix kit.

I bagged a Wellington on ebay and this has been the most enjoyable kit i've built in ages, which I guess is the point of the hobby! Put a tiny bit of detail in the cockpit and did a bit of weathering, only downside was the decals, very fragile and one of the codes broke up - (the letter K if anybody has a spare!).

Anyway, here she is, got the bug for Bomber Command now...

WIMPY-01.jpg

WIMPY-02.jpg

WIMPY-04.jpg

WIMPY-03.jpg

WIMPY-05.jpg

And finally, the wonderful box art!

WIMPY-06.jpg

• Like 33

Much better job than I managed when I was a nipper! Love the old box art, Roy Cross I assume. Used to spend hours looking at the different ones trying to decide which to spend my pocket money on. Usually went to whichever one had the most explosions painted in!

• Like 1

Excellent build and paint job. I build vintage kits as well and recently became cautious about using fragile decals. With the last build I took to using Microscale Liquid Decal Film which works quite well to stop breaking up... as long as you paste enough of it on the decal.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kinds words again, like many of you it seems i'm a child of the 70s as well and built this as a lad, and yes, love the old box art, now to track down a Stirling :winkgrin:

Beautifully finished, I hope someone can find that missing K for you too.

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat, yes, fingers crossed somebody comes up with the missing 'K'!!

Excellent build and paint job. I build vintage kits as well and recently became cautious about using fragile decals. With the last build I took to using Microscale Liquid Decal Film which works quite well to stop breaking up... as long as you paste enough of it on the decal.

Thanks KF, yes i've got some Microscale decal film, but for some reason decided not to use it on this :mental:

Cheers

Simon

Hello,SimonR - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Wellington'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and looks resplendent in her classical appearance.It's immensely satisfying to see such a model created from a yesteryear kit.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1