This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Brand Focused negativity

I've been asked to look into a little incident where someone was bagging on a new Trumpeter kit before the designs have even been finalised and plastic injected. This was on the basis that one or other parties is trolling - the anti-Trumpeter member trying to stir up negativity, or the reacting member trolling them. Looking at it from a divorced perspective however, it would appear that the reactive member is tired of the unremitting negativity toward Trumpeter, which some folks seem to bring up the moment a kit is mentioned, before the plastic has even been seen.

I can understand both points of view, as it does get rather tiresome listening to the anti-Trumpeter posters bagging on them at every opportunity. Sure they often get it wrong, but those same folks are conspicuous by their absence when they get it right. I can see how people become anti-Xmanufacturer too, as they expect a high level of accuracy in their models, and get fractious when that's not achieved. It does come across as a bit odd when it becomes more of an obsession though, shoehorning it into every discussion possible, based on the mere mention of the brand name.

However, there are ways of dealing with the negativity, and that's not attacking them, because you know what? That's just as bad. The anti-Xmanufacturer League (AXL) need to realise that they sound like a bunch of obsessively grumpy old men (probably true), and those without an allegiance also need to either learn to cope with their negativity and ignore it, or find better ways to express themselves when countering it. In truth though, as with any entrenched POV, there's little you can do to convince someone to change their minds. That time has long since passed. I know this because my Dad has hated Sean Connery for his "dead eyes" since I was a young lad, and mentions it every time.

So what's the solution?

It takes a bit of effort on both parts, and as always, if there's no will to change because they can't see the error of their ways, you're on a hiding to nothing. Some people are just infallible, y'know? :lol:

If you're one of those folks that hates a particular brand, try not mentioning it every time they are brought up in a thread. It might be hard, but you may be able to make it out of the rut you're in, and become a little less bitter about it.

If you're one without an agenda that finds their posts tedious and negative, why not try to exercise a little restraint of your own, and ignore them. If they are trolls, the oxygen of attention will feed their "hobby" of winding people up. If they're just genuinely bitter about that manufacturer, you could try looking at it as a foible of old age, but if you can't, just set that member to Ignore, and you'll never have to hear them again.

Remember - it's the Season of Goodwill, so why not try to be a little nicer to your fellow modeller?

A couple of last pictorial comments, and they're both favourites of mine:

dullpost.jpg

monkeyballs.jpg

wrong.png

:santa: Merry Bloody Christmas all! :santa:

Mike -

Have you considered popping out to the middle east and having a chat with some of the fractious types out there? I suspect your form of diplomacy would have a good chance of success 👏👏👏

I may or may not find myself in the minority here but it's not only Trumpeter that gets bashed but Airfix and Revell also long before we even get to see anything in plastic. I tend to ignore these things and stay out of the fight. I wait for competent builders actually building the kit to tell me the good ,the bad and the ugly of said kit. Will it deter me from buying the kit? Sometimes but l love a good challenge and hey it's the fun part for me. As long as you don't breath it in a little plastic dust never hurts. My 2 shillings

Edited by hacker

I,ve never built a lot of trumpeter kits certainly not the more expensive 1/48 and larger kit,s so I have no axe to grind about laying out a lot of cash

for an inaccurate kit which may be behind a lot of the negatives I read about their output,yes the do get it wrong and it does seem like most of their

kit,s but it seems to me these are silly but never the less very minor issues which most modellers can live with and certainly correct, just for a minute

take all of their lines off the modelling map including all their other brands and the world would be a lot less happy for modeller's!

Totally agree with Mike.....is it comments like the 4th post we should try and avoid?

As an aside I think the Trumpeter Wyvern is one of the finest kits I've ever purchased.

Edited by Driver66

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion there's no reason to cross a line and foister that opinion on others. Those that do get ignored, while those who offer constructive comments get commended. When it comes to models I'm guessing you take the rough with the smooth .... I'm only on my second (both airfix) build but the quality of the parts differs in both ... so to me it just seems par for the course in modelling. Taking on a challenge is one of the most enjoyable things I've discovered since returning to this hobby and hats off to anyone who can turn around a poor quality kit into a work of art :)

End of lunch time ramble .... :banghead:

The advice probably applies to all threads and indeed internet forums. There are some topics which come up time and time again but I wouldn't feel it right to express my disinterest if I don't like them. Others may very well find it interesting and the appropriate thing to do as mentioned is simply to ignore it.

In terms of brands I think they're all equally have a possibility of producing both good and bad kits. If a particularly company consistently releases bad kits, then they wouldn't be in business very long as no one is buying their product.

Edited by Knight_Flyer

Funny old world, etc...

The central issue (dodgy product) is a given -in any field, there's bound to be some (or a lot of) stuff that isn't up to par. How we respond to that is just background noise to me, but I'm baffled as to how it becomes a major 'trolling' issue for some folk one way or the other.

I can understand how it grates when a new-tool subject comes along that you've been wanting for ages, only to fall desperately short in several areas -HB's Shooting Stars, in my case. Buuuut...this just in: Trumpeter, Hobby Boss, et al DON'T CARE what I think. Some of my fellow modellers may, but it won't change anything; all those F-80s won't be recalled and new, accurate toolings will not be produced. Move on!

Neither do I buy the oft-trotted 'Poisoned Well' theory, that if only Manufacturer A hadn't foisted a horrendously bad kit of Subject X on us, five minutes later Manufacturer B would have produced a perfectly decent one: all evidence is to the contrary (Trumpeter vs Wolfpack 1/48 T-38, HB vs AMK 1/48 F-14, and so-on ad nauseam -there'll be another F-80 along in a bit!).

If you think something is pants, go right ahead and say it -just never worth getting in a furball over, and few of us are senile enough to need endless reminders...

On t'other hand, when you hear the 'AXL' ballad for the umpteenth time, maybe just smile and nod sagely...?

Merry Bleedin' Christmas to you too! :pipe:

It certainly is a funny old world. :mental: We don't need stress & anger in our hobby though - there's enough of that out there in the real world. Our hobby should be a sanctuary from all that... a stress-relief valve. :)

So is coffee, tea and alcohol. .......oh and that unmentionable adult activities

It certainly is a funny old world. :mental: We don't need stress & anger in our hobby though - there's enough of that out there in the real world. Our hobby should be a sanctuary from all that... a stress-relief valve. :)

Nope .. she often sits at the other end of the kitchen table while I'm modelling .... :nono:

I do hope she's not reading this for your sake! :suicide:

As someone with no fondness for Trumpeter's recent R&D record when it comes to several of their models, I can understand how it must be tiresome for those with no particular interest in a kit's accuracy to hear people like me repeat, what is in effect, a bit of a stuck record :)

My current battle with Academy's Hunter shows, all too well, that other manufacturers are equally as capable of awful shape errors in their models, and I suspect that when one wishes for dimensional accuracy in a kit, one will always to a certain degree have to compromise, accept or correct: I tend toward the latter; sometimes, as those of you who have seen some of my builds will know, in extremis! :)

I've never criticised anyone for building any model "from the box", and I hope I've always tried to show how a model, such as the bafflingly awful Trumpy Vampire, can be corrected with the input of a little time, elbow grease and some basic modelling skills. For those with no interest in doing so, then fair be it. It's a broad hobby and it's each to his own.

My point in being negative towards this manufacturer is, has, and always will be, that If one of their models about which I know enough to make a reasonable call on accuracy is "out", and if this happens time and time again with other such subjects, then my suspicion is that models about which I know little may well be just as bad. Trumpeter need to prove to me, the customer, that they can regain my buying trust by not being slipshod in basic research. I call that lazy and showing contempt for the customer.

I actually do realise that my opinion carries zero weight with them, but does that mean one should give up? Who knows?

However, as the above is no doubt somewhat like the stuck record already mentioned, I'll stop there! If my opinion has offended anyone then you have my apologies, but I won't alter in my opinion, nor shy away from making it when I think its valid.

We have enough to worry about in this world, and ultimately Trumpeter's performance is as insignificant as a sand grain on a beach, but I believe that without passion for things we enjoy we become dull of heart and lesson the soul.

I hope Santa brings you whatever you wished for, and if it's bits of plastic in a box, then build it however you want. That's what I do.

Cheers

J-J-J-J-Jonners - that's my stuck record sign off- LOL :)

I've gotta say Jonners, that although you are one of the guys that battle with some of the kits that are described as "UNBUILDABLE" by those that know best, you have been a bit of a Negative Nancy lately at the mere mention of the T-word :lol: Remember that HB Tornado? I recall the Bearcat reduced you to tears and eventually abject failure after you got royally angry with it. You're actually out there trying to build these kits, rather than spouting doom from your office chair though. If you lay off the prejudgement a bit, people will doubtless value what you have to say when there's actually something to base an opinion on ;)

I bought an Anigrand kit,against the Magna version and just about everybodies opinion of the former. Looks fine to me and does need some changes but its not going to get me down the Citizen's Advice route or bleat on here about it. I viewed it in the shop before I paid,not a photo not someone elses opinion either.

I was chuffed to bits with eventually getting my hands on the kit . The naysayers can take a running jump.

PS If you really want to see venom about preferences or hatred go on a Diana Ross/ Supremes/Mary Wilson thread on Soulful Detroit.com forums

I've gotta say Jonners, that although you are one of the guys that battle with some of the kits that are described as "UNBUILDABLE" by those that know best, you have been a bit of a Negative Nancy lately at the mere mention of the T-word :lol: Remember that HB Tornado? I recall the Bearcat reduced you to tears and eventually abject failure after you got royally angry with it. You're actually out there trying to build these kits, rather than spouting doom from your office chair though. If you lay off the prejudgement a bit, people will doubtless value what you have to say when there's actually something to base an opinion on ;)

Thats because it was "Negative Nancy November" Boss :) and possibly "Overtly Obby October", and "Slightly Sarky September" too!!

Now we are in "Decidedly Dandy December" I'm full of positive vibes again. I hope :)

Jonners

Good message Mike.

I do however see the negativity also goes towards individual kits of any make.

I see too often when someone says ''I'm building the xxx kit of.....'' someone has to chip in and say how inaccurate it is or whatever, and says either get the yyy kit or make these changes.

When I'm told these things I say thanks and usually ignore these sayings or maybe have look, then ignore it.

Good message Mike.

I do however see the negativity also goes towards individual kits of any make.

I see too often when someone says ''I'm building the xxx kit of.....'' someone has to chip in and say how inaccurate it is or whatever, and says either get the yyy kit or make these changes.

When I'm told these things I say thanks and usually ignore these sayings or maybe have look, then ignore it.

Hi - that's the right way to do it though, surely? - have a look, see what the poster is talking about, then ignore if you so choose.

Question is- are the "chippers in" saying these things because they are trying to be helpful? or just to to be "Negative Nancies"?

Jonners

Some, a fair number, are just being negative. They say; that kit is wrong, don't build it sell, it, buy this one.

A few are trying to be helpful; that kit has an error, heres how to correct it if you want

Indeed. Moderation in all things :)

I see what you did there. :thumbsup2:

Some, a fair number, are just being negative. They say; that kit is wrong, don't build it sell, it, buy this one.

I just find that bizarre.

Fair enough if you were thinking of buying a kit and asked for opinions before purchasing, but once you are building?

Jonners

Thats because it was "Negative Nancy November" Boss :) and possibly "Overtly Obby October", and "Slightly Sarky September" too!!

Now we are in "Decidedly Dandy December" I'm full of positive vibes again. I hope :)

Jonners

:lol: you word spinner you! ;)