+++ The Broom Cupboard has Landed! (S-61L)

CliffB

Modelling-wise, I've had a pretty bad year this year. Three DNFs in GBs and another three not even started.

Two of the DNFs are pretty close though, so worth some KUTA effort.

The first of these is this S-61L, from the Sea King STGB.

P1090240_zpsktmaxsyv.jpg

Here's a link to the previous build thread

I'm hoping to get this finished by the end of the year.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So finally got round to doing some more on the S-61 today :)

The cockpit is now finished, the white metal undercarriage is fitted and I've added those parts of the PE fret that survived the annealing inferno (see previous thread!).

P1090357_zps0n611fqh.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting the first coat of primer on, just to see how much more fettling is still required.

Cheers

Cliff

Thanks Karl and Mish :)

A little more progress yesterday as I managed to get the clear green sunshading applied to the top of the canopy. A task I had been worrying about (my first time), but all seems to have gone OK spraying Tamiya clear.

P1090359_zpszadojbjw.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Finally ready for the first coat of primer :yahoo:

P1090364_zpsfhpspypf.jpg

The white metal cones in the foreground are the FOD screens. In real life these were mesh.

At least one New York Airways S-61L operated without these in place, so at the moment I'm undecided whether to use the cones or not.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

Thanks Steve (for your comment and for your part in the conversion kit's creation).

Still some way to go though, as I've got to apply the rivet decals once I'm happy with the primer coat.

The end of the GB at the end of Jan should be achievable though (even for me :winkgrin: ).

Cheers

Cliff

Thank you for your encouragement everyone :)

I finally got round to priming this afternoon.

P1090365_zpskxybi8o9.jpg

Things could be better, could be worse. A bit of further work is needed, particularly to disguise where the clear cabin window strips are inserted. The PE parts look pretty 'stuck on' too (which of course they are!).

Probably a couple more sand/prime iterations before moving on to the rivet decals. Talking of which, I saw my first new Airfix Sea King last night - smooth as a baby's :fraidnot:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your encouragement Pat - I certainly need it!

A little more progress since last time - I've applied a white undercoat and started to apply the rivet decals (all vertical runs now done).

P1090368_zpsti8byw7s.jpg

As you can see, I'm only doing a very simplified rivet pattern with the run locations being chosen to disguise the window section join lines and to avoid windows/doors. Accuracy was not a factor!

This is the first time that I've used Archers rivet decals and so far they have been very easy to use, the carrier film being strong enough to allow long runs to be manipulated in-situ, without breaking. They are actually small blobs of resin (fixed to a traditional water-slide decal film), and so are quite 3D. I'm a little worried about them disappearing under too much paint, so that's why I went for the white undercoat first (the top coat being white as well).

Hoping to get the riveting finished this weekend, so still on course to meet the GB deadline.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

Thank you for your encouragement everyone :)

I finally got round to priming this afternoon.

P1090365_zpskxybi8o9.jpg

Things could be better, could be worse. A bit of further work is needed, particularly to disguise where the clear cabin window strips are inserted. The PE parts look pretty 'stuck on' too (which of course they are!).

Probably a couple more sand/prime iterations before moving on to the rivet decals. Talking of which, I saw my first new Airfix Sea King last night - smooth as a baby's :fraidnot:

Cheers

Cliff

Where do you get 1/72nd 1/8" SP80 (snap heads) SP85 (mush heads) or US equivelent rivet decals ? I want some. I got a sheet from Archer but they are too big , like a 3/16" or 1/4" A/F mush head bolt which I can use for just that but I need some rivets! They'd be OK for the S61 Bonding washer rivets (3/16th" )

Really glad to this build back BTW,looks great!

Edited by bzn20

Just refreshed my memory over on the original thread...When you annealed the PE did you cool it in still air or quickly,quench in water? After you folded the PE did it revert through work or age harden?

Thanks again guys for your support :)

Where do you get 1/72nd 1/8" SP80 (snap heads) SP85 (mush heads) or US equivelent rivet decals ? I want some. I got a sheet from Archer but they are too big , like a 3/16" or 1/4" A/F mush head bolt which I can use for just that but I need some rivets! They'd be OK for the S61 Bonding washer rivets (3/16th" )

I'm using Archer's sheet AR88014 (following milktrip's S-61 build as I recall), and you are right, the rivet size (on the sheet) is quoted as 0.008" (0.2mm). So in 1/72 they are around 5/8" (15mm). When you look closely you can see that most of the heads are not truly circular, so I'm guessing that this is about as small as Archer's technology will go. I don't personally know of any other suppliers :(

P1090369_zpsawfhajxu.jpg

Just refreshed my memory over on the original thread...When you annealed the PE did you cool it in still air or quickly,quench in water? After you folded the PE did it revert through work or age harden?

I allowed the PE to cool in still air (which I think is the correct thing to do), and certainly the metal became beautifully malleable. It folded easily around the contours of the kit and kept the shape with absolutely no tendancy to spring back. It was several months between when I tempered the PE and actually used it, so no age hardening issues over that sort of timescale (if indeed there ever is?). I've no idea about work hardening I'm afraid, as I got the bending right first time ;) !

Hope this helps

Cliff

• Like 1

Typo in my post 19...I meant 1/4 UNF and 5/16 UNF not AF (across flats) thats for hex head spanner sizes and not thread sizes!

• Like 1