Cookie's Spitfire Trio(s) (also 'Tiny' the Corsair)

This isn't going to be a very involved WIP, but I thought I'd put one together upon my return from a few months hiatus from modelling. I have other stalled projects that I should probably be working on, but it has been well established that Spitfire builds bring good luck. So this build includes a high back XVI from an AZ 'Joypack', a low back AZ XVI, and my unfinished Mk I from the Battle of Britain GB.

IMG_2134_zps57sbtrpw.jpg

The Mk I depicts the aircraft of 'Titch' Havercoft who flew with 92 Sqn during the Battle of Britain.

IMG_2126_zpsbk3h1yyj.jpg

It just needs its prop, landing gear and a little weathering.

Next up is a Mk XVI that I'm planning on finishing as James 'Stocky' Edwards' aircraft from when he commanded 127 Wing in Germany near the end of the war, using this Xtradecal set.

IMG_2135_zpsnvty7dxu.jpg

This is the first time I've tried using pre-cut canopy masks. Pretty nice! I had to use a little of the new Tamiya 'curves' masking tape since the Techmod masks were designed for the Hasegawa kit. The new Tamiya tape is pretty good stuff too.

I brushed on some metalizer in order to do some chipping as Stocky's Spitfire looks pretty beat up in the few pics I found here, and here.

The bubble top Mk XVI is going to depict Boleslaw Kaczmarek's aircraft from 302 Sqn using the same Xtradecal sheet.

IMG_2136_zpsjg8rhcyx.jpg

It's good to be back!

• Like 16

Thanks Mike and Col.!

In my haste, I forgot to mention that this thread is totally inspired by Rob85's Spitfire Trio. I even stole his title! Sorry Rob, I'm just not very imaginative these days it seems.

Something interesting about the AZ Spitfire is the 'long' carburetor intake is exactly as long as the aft portion of the Airfix IX intake, before attaching the 'scoop' portion. The Airfix intake seems more correct to my untrained eye, and it actually fits the AZ fuselage better too.

IMG_2137_zpsvad30rm3.jpg

The Airfix carburetor intake is shown on the left, while the XVI on the right has the AZ intake.

Similarly, the Airfix Mk IX spinner seems nicer to me than the one included in the AZ kit.

IMG_2140_zpsdtqmsch5.jpg

The AZ spinner (bottom) doesn't fit properly over the prop, so I had to extend it a bit with some plasticard. The middle one is the Airfix Mk IX spinner with a 3-D Kits' prop, and the top one is the Airfix Mk I.

One last observation: it's a lot more difficult to droop the late style Spitfire elevators, with their 'double' bend.

IMG_2139_zpscknyx6j4.jpg

• Like 9

Steal away my friend, I am honoured! These look like they will be flipping great cookie, love the subjects...not enough late marks WIP'ed in the gents scale at the mo.

Good to have you back and look forward to your work mate

Also having just got over a hurricane virus I think I now have a spitfire bug.... I had planned a number of other builds, but now I just want to buy tonnes of spitfires and build them all... You are not helping this

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Hi Cookie. Good to see you back with some more modelling - and mighty fine it looks too. Your Mk.I BoB GB Spitfire looks stunning! Really looking forward to seeing what you do with these three.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Nice and even Med Sea Grey coat! :ggodjob:

As for Lifecolor, I recently tried airbrushing them using Future as thinner - on the wheel hubs of my BF109 build. Interesting effect, I'll be trying it more - just thought you might want to give it a go (maybe on a spare model, first). The color flow becomes very controllable, this way, and I had no clogging whatsoever

Ciao

• Like 1

Got the props painted up, a little clean up is required as usual.

IMG_2173_zpsliigd3bi.jpg

Hey, what's that Corsair prop doing in there? I guess we'll never know.

The Mk I has a landing gear now and is shown sitting next to an aesthetic blob of grey blu-tac (Cookie's photo skills strike again!). I love how Airfix did the landing gear on this kit as it makes it almost easy to match the rather complicated angles on the Spitfire landing gear. Don't ask if I did it right though!

IMG_2180_zpsupm6a66s.jpg

Below is a warning against buying new reference books. I was thumbing through Dana Bell's Corsair Vol 1, and found a great pic of an F4U-2 on page 9. Despite the fact that I have three Spitfires on the go, and have two kits already earmarked for the Corsair STGB, I couldn't help myself and started this.

IMG_2182_zpskcvoeuok.jpg

• Like 16

Hey Cookie! Good to see you back at work, and on Spitfires too (which are lucky) and three of them (which is the magic number) - I look forward to seeing your progress B)

Keep us updated with the Corsair too, I've developed a slightly embarrassing USN crush lately and have been giving the Tamiya F4U-1A big soppy moon-eyed looks for a while now...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Glad to see you back Cookie and WHAT a start... :)

I'm in, of course :popcorn:

I may be catching the 'build lots of Spitfires' bug too... I've just ordered Airfix's Catalina (it was on my wishlist and they sent me a 'last chance to buy' email so I panicked) and, to get the free postage, added some Spitfires too. Has to be done...

• Like 3

Hi Cookenbacher. Good to see more progress - they are looking very good. The Mk.I looks excellent now it's up on it's undercarriage. And a Corsair too! Very interested to see what you are doing with this one.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Glad to see you back Cookie and WHAT a start... :)

I'm in, of course :popcorn:

I may be catching the 'build lots of Spitfires' bug too... I've just ordered Airfix's Catalina (it was on my wishlist and they sent me a 'last chance to buy' email so I panicked) and, to get the free postage, added some Spitfires too. Has to be done...

I got one of those bought for me when I left work, I nearly bought another after getting the same airfix email ced! I want to do a complete over haul on mine as...spoiler alert.... The kit is pretty poor! But there is something very nostalgic about it, which I like!

I did however give in to an American radial engine like yourself cookie, it's mr p's fault and that is exactly what I will be telling my wife when it gets here....I snapped up a hellcat from eduard, 1/72 profi pack, for £9 which to be fair I think is a bargain! FAA here we come...

Your new build looks awesome, that a very clean look you have to the metal and form the primer! What did you use.... Dam it now I need to buy a corsair and blame it on you! Actually I will also need to buy a wildcat and blame stew some how... God no one build an avenger will you!

Anyway, the spit look Bob on! I have just realised I am building one of its squadron mates aswell

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

Thanks everybody!

It looks like my growing mania for carrier based radial is not an isolated case. I also blame Stew (with his Wildcat/Kate combo) and Procopius, who talked up the Eduard Hellcat so effectively that I now have two FAA combo packs that practically get up and walk by themselves from the stash to the bench with expectant gazes. But, I just couldn't help but start the Tamiya Corsair. The kit really does live up to the hype. I have three more in the stash: two F4U-1A's for the STGB, as FAA and RNZAF birds, and a 'Birdcage' intended for the Vignette GB. I want to try and replicate this scene, but I'm not sure if I can keep the wingtips from overhanging a little from the 36 sq in base. Any suggestions Stix?

One last word on the Corsair for Rob; the aluminum is MM Metalizer and the Zinc Chromate is Testor's enamel. As usual, I'm copying a fellow modeller here on BM (thanks Wolwe!) Wolwe uses a multi-layer technique, but I'm not skillful/patient enough yet for that. I just painted the Zinc Chromate in random spots (and all fabric surfaces) so when I chip it, I'll be in for a nice surprise whether aluminum or zinc chromate shows up. I used this technique on an Aleutian Tiger earlier this year and was happy with how it turned out.

I planned on getting the Ocean grey on the Mk XVI's today, but was unable to get to it. Hopefully tomorrow. I did read in 'Stocky' Edward's biography that he damaged an Me 262 in his Mk XVI, but it flew into the clouds before he could confirm that it crashed. He is most famous for flying Kittyhawks in the desert and it was Procopius (again) who pointed out his Mk XVI on the Xtradecal sheet after we discussed how I would like to build one of his Kittyhawks that's depicted in an AZ kit. Perhaps a subject for the MTO GB?

Hopefully my next entry is less chatty and more buildy.

Edited to say: 92 Sqn forever!

• Like 5

Cookie, I believe the chatty is as important as the buildy, sometimes threads wander off into strange territories; the buildy ensures an overall coherence but there is a lot of interest, pleasure, knowledge and wisdom to be found in the oxbows of the conversational meanderings that constitute the chatty.

I seem to be getting blamed for quite a bit round here... :hmmm: Perhaps an inability to say 'No' to a new kit is contagious?

Anyway press on at your leisure Cookie, we will be ambling alongside you :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

... for the Vignette GB. I want to try and replicate this scene, but I'm not sure if I can keep the wingtips from overhanging a little from the 36 sq in base. Any suggestions Stix?

That would be great!! Brilliant idea! :clap:

Perhaps an inability to say 'No' to a new kit is contagious?

Definitely so! Didn't you know?? :D :D

Ciao

• Like 2

That looks a brilliant idea for a dio!! Hmmm tamiya corsair you say.... Hmmm.... Where is my eBay app....

I blame me p for the same reasons as you really cookie, I have seen his glowing posts about the hellcat before. Then I sent him some transfers in the post in exchange for others he had.... However the man sent the ones specified plus a few more and.....a tech mod sheet of 3 rather nifty looking FAA hellcats. I am sure he was not aware that his actions would lead to a perchase of a Kit(!)

I told the wife, she said she was "happy for me" so she will be over the moon once I show her what I want for the MTO GB!! And the aforementioned wildcat and corsair!!

Chat is good cookie, don't fear it... Indulge

Rob

• Like 1