1/72 - Northrop P-61A/B/C Black Widow by HobbyBoss - released

Homebee

HobbyBoss is to release in 2016-2017 1/72nd Northrop P-61 Black Widow kits.

- ref. 87261 - Northrop P-61A Black Widow

- ref. 87262 - Northrop P-61B Black Widow

- ref. 87263 - Northrop P-61C Black Widow

Source: http://scalemodels.ru/modules/news/img_9588_1449141963_13.jpg.html

Widow.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, nearly a year on. Any more news on this? I am somewhat hurt after having hoarded many copies of  the Dragon kit. It's my favourite American twin.

Perhaps the HB kit will mesh well visually with my DML examples so I won't have to start over?

• Like 2

I count 88 plastic parts which is  modest for an airplane of this size ( the 1/72nd b-25/he-111 from hasegawa has around 130-150 parts each ) ; that said it doesn't looks like their quick build kits and will hopefully have adequate details for the scale . More importantly , the part counts suggests price will be affordable unlike their dakota . 

• Like 1

Single part prop / spinner assembly?  Very 1960s Airfix.  Does it have rivets?😉

If the price isn't too hefty, I might get one of these.  Given my glacial build speed, the small number of parts may be a boon.

Regards

artin

I'm liking the parts breakdown with the fuselage and wings being split horizontally.  First off, that ensures a nice smooth wing / fuselage join.  And as there's no corrugated surfaces on the wing, cleaning up its leading and trailing edge fit will be straightforward - if there's any issues there to begin with.  Secondly, a layout like that makes aligning the tailbooms also that much easier as there's no flex in the wings to throw 'em off.  That seems good engineering right there.

But yes, we'll have to see what the kit looks like out of the box and on the bench before truly making a decision.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Also, can likely get the Dragons for considerably less on Ebay.

Living in the US, you can say that, I guess, I've been looking out for a reasonably priced Dragon P-61A for ages & any that come up at a decent price will either only sell to USA or have the extortionate eBay global shipping added, hence I'm quietly hopeful these will be decent, a modest parts count sounds just fine to me. :)

Steve.

6 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

The french importer announce a price at 27.95 euros http://www.scientific-mhd.eu/maquettisme/produits/detail-articles-9587261-MCPL.htm

I guess it will be possible to find this cheaper ..

Patrice

I rely completely on imports for my kits ( I am in India ) and I have observed trumpeter/hobbyboss kits are considerably ( average 40% ) cheaper when purchased from a Hongkong based online store as compared to stores located in Europe and even Japan - my guess is if a French importer is marking it around 28 euro , hobbyeasy( Hongkong ) will likely sell it for 16-20 euro . The same also holds true for tamiya and hasegawa - these two brands(especially hasegawa) are sold for twice as much in Europe as compared to Japan based online stores (HLJ and hobbysearch ). 

• Like 3

Slightly disappointed to see this is an EasyAssembly kit. We are due a state of the art model of this plane. I'm not getting the Dragon as its just too pricey so I'm still interested if the price is right, but what I'm seeing here is not worth more than 15 quid for me to be honest, assuming it builds up well.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1