1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-31/B/BM/M "Foxhound" family by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

On 7. 3. 2017 at 5:58 PM, kotey said:

This decal include only one BM marking, actually it were first MiG-31BM, which used at PVO retraining center.

In 1\48 we have two MiG-31 decals - 48-044 Standard MiG-31s (MiG-31s from first batches to MiG-31B and DZ) and 48-040 Upgraded MiG-31s (MiG-31BM\BSM).

Same will be in 1\72 scale - two decals. 

About MiG-31BMs - in this case we went untraditional way - firstly we made masks for paint names on real MiG-31BMs in Kansk, and only after release model i'm downscaled this file to use in decal.

Well, but the kit can be built as a Mig-31B and as far as I can see, that sheet contains a lot of markings for B variants.

Speaking of new decal from Begemot, make one for these pretty please:

Su-35S deployed in Syria

WkxJEMd.jpg

Su-33 deployed in Syria

OGcS8fq.jpg

Timur Apakidze memorial - unflyable plane but great for diorama!

3ti2IO4.jpg

Edited by drake122
  • Like 2

On 13. 3. 2017 at 3:56 PM, Violet Club said:

What are the mistakes on the scale down 1/72 kit.  Could these mistakes be fixed ?

All the Best,

Violet Club

Check these discussions for the mistakes. Not too bad overall, but all of them apply to the 72nd kit, I checked. What it doesn't mention is that there is an ugly seam on both sides of the lower fuselage part all the way through! Best taken care of before assembly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody know when this is going to be released in the UK ?  Good job I'm not holding my breath on this one :D

BillyD

The 31B/BM was released in December 2016 and Eduard have P/E set already available, yet no sign of stocks arriving in UK ...

BillyD

17 hours ago, Billydick said:

The 31B/BM was released in December 2016 and Eduard have P/E set already available, yet no sign of stocks arriving in UK ...

BillyD

Actually, the Eduard PE set is coming 1st June 2017. It is not yet available, maybe only preorders through eduard website...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris57 said:

Picked mine up at the club Monday, but haven't checked it out yet. The seller also had the new navalised Su-33, one for next month.

You have had it how long and not looked at it yet! Have you hidden it from SWMBO, or left it at Steve's?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Jabba said:

You have had it how long and not looked at it yet! Have you hidden it from SWMBO, or left it at Steve's?

I've tucked it in the boxes of the one's I'm taking to Gloucester, but it won't be on the table

• 2 months later...

Why do all the model I seem to buy recently have trouble with the clear parts!

So I got this kit ( B/BM ) today and had a quick look at it and noticed a molding problem with the rear canopy. Trumpeter have molded some detail on the inside of the canopy and this includes a frame running across the center section, unfortunately it seem they have done some sloppy CAD work ( and not checked the molds! ) as this frame doesn't stop at the ends where it should have and instead it blends out right into part of the canopy that will remain clear! It is on both side.

Unfortunately the way the light catches it it will be visible on the finished model. So just be warned if you are going to purchase this kit as it will need sanding and polishing to get rid of it, ( though adding the sealant will help ) which won't be easy because as you can see from the photos, there is a frame with rivets on right by it.

35649789524_e046e93f99_b.jpg

35649787604_36cdd28f28_b.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A friendly warning to anyone who doesn't yet know and is planning to buy these 1:72nd scale Foxhounds from Trumpy, they simply "forgot" to put in the third pieces of main gear bay doors! Shown in the picture below. They are missing from the instructions too.

On the 1:48th scale Foxhound, the part numbers for them were G13 and G14. 

I have the Mig-31BM variant and have to scratch build them (well, more like cannibalize the old Zvezda kit for them).

How rude from Trumpeter! :P

P.S. Looking through the pictures from the above Mig-31M variant, they fixed the issue there (parts on sprue G near the horiz. stabilizers).

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?id=9245&cid=292&min=36&orderby=dateA&show=12

Edited by drake122
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, building the BM version now I found a few more gross mistakes/omissions... apart from the gear bay doors mentioned above, Trumpy also forgot to include the BM inner wing pylons and the little "antenna" thingy from the spine area. Adding that to the ugly mis-mold on the rear canopy section, I would have to say I am really disappointed and would not buy again. Make no mistake, the fit is generally good and the kit is buildable, but definitely a "half-assed" attempt by Trumpeter. I can't speak for the later version, but only the initial release BM - perhaps they have corrected some of this later on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drake122 said:

So, building the BM version now I found a few more gross mistakes/omissions... apart from the gear bay doors mentioned above, Trumpy also forgot to include the BM inner wing pylons and the little "antenna" thingy from the spine area. Adding that to the ugly mis-mold on the rear canopy section, I would have to say I am really disappointed and would not buy again. Make no mistake, the fit is generally good and the kit is buildable, but definitely a "half-assed" attempt by Trumpeter. I can't speak for the later version, but only the initial release BM - perhaps they have corrected some of this later on.

Trumpeter, half-assed? I can't believe you are suggesting such thing ;) If it's not on a drawing then it can't be true.

• Haha 1

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable might help me, can the BM version fit the pylons from earlier variants as well? Since the BM inner wing pylon is missing from this kit, but it has the older ones, I was thinking of just using those.

As seen in the picture below, the upper 2 BM planes have their specific pylons on, while the lower two non-BM jets have the other ones I was referring to, including the twin launch rails (which again, the kit does not provide... duh).

Thanks for the help.

My plan was to build "92 blue" - the second one from the top - but I have never seen a picture of it with  different pylons.

Edited by drake122

BM had connectors under wings for APU-73 missile launcher for R-73 missile.

P1010362.JPG

Also i saw at one MiG-31BM APU-170 launchers for R-77 missile, but its not yet serial.

85818d1526750003-230058.jpg

Edited by kotey
  • Like 1

That is exactly my problem, those connector are missing from the kit. So my question was, can the BM use the other pylons older Mig-31 variants had, or is it limited to just having those new ones for R73 and/or R77?