1/48 - Lavoshkin La-11 "Fang" by HobbyBoss - released

Homebee

I have no this HB plastic on hands, but for me it is enough. Overall reputation of this manufacturer and price (3-4 times hihgher than ARK with Quinta IP here in Russia) prevnts me from wasting time and money on further research of HB kit.

I found roots of this crap - they used ancient drawings.

spacer.png

Some of you could help us - there is La-11 waiting for restoration in Duxford - please, make photos or maybe share photos that you already made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, mr_stomach said:

Availability of subjects did not prevented them from errors in MiG-21 (and Chinese copies) Su-27 (and Chinese copies), Jl-9, JF-17 and others.

It seems I need to find another decent 1/72 Su-27 / Su-27P then. Alternatively, see if any other versions flew in Kaliningradskaya Oblast during the Cold War years.

In case anyone wants to investigate this subject further (or if you just want a reference source), here's a La-11 walkaround from scalemodels.ru:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat_cid_395.html

Sergey - thank you for your efforts - you saved me the price of the HB kit!

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr_stomach said:

I found roots of this crap - they used ancient drawings.

Drawings can be ancient and accurate. What drawings are supposed to be better.

AFAIK TrumpyBoss take scale drawings and walkarounds lying around and hand them out to a CAD designer. The problem is that the designer doesn't know anything about the subject (which is pretty normal to me: he's a CAD designer, not an aviation enthusiast). What's really missing is someone reviewing his work to debug the CAD model before tooling. Some producers do that (at least Great Wall Hobby and Kinetic) but TrumpyBoss isn't one of them. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Drawings can be ancient and accurate. What drawings are supposed to be better.

AFAIK TrumpyBoss take scale drawings and walkarounds lying around and hand them out to a CAD designer. The problem is that the designer doesn't know anything about the subject (which is pretty normal to me: he's a CAD designer, not an aviation enthusiast). What's really missing is someone reviewing his work to debug the CAD model before tooling. Some producers do that (at least Great Wall Hobby and Kinetic) but TrumpyBoss isn't one of them. 

I hope they didn't mess up their new F-18E!

1 hour ago, B.sin said:

I hope they didn't mess up their new F-18E!

It is curious for me - there are Hasegawa and Meng - both are very good. And there is HB - bad in all aspects and overpriced. Which arguments could be in it’s favor?

1 hour ago, mr_stomach said:

And there is HB - bad in all aspects and overpriced.

Not everything Hobby Boss and Trumpeter do is bad,  just depends who is doing the research.   But, I always wait and see what those who know have to say about a kit. 

And Trumpeter have a history of messing up British subjects (DH Hornet, Vampire, Sea Vixen, Albacore, Spiteful, and even then making a mess when there is decent kit out. like the Defiant) 

In the UK some HB kits were very reasonably priced, most of the Fw 190's, Me 262 and 1/48th armour for example.

And, usually the  kits are good kits, in that they assemble well.    But.  I totally agree they do get a lot of things wrong they shouldn't....   

1 hour ago, mr_stomach said:

Which arguments could be in it’s favor?

it makes money for HB....    

• Like 3

18 hours ago, John Thompson said:

In case anyone wants to investigate this subject further (or if you just want a reference source), here's a La-11 walkaround from scalemodels.ru:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat_cid_395.html

Sergey - thank you for your efforts - you saved me the price of the HB kit!

John

Another WA

http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/walkarounds/avia/before_1950/la-11/

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Perhaps availability? Chinese kits seem to be easy to buy in any European country.

This may change,  as shipping has massively increased

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

Looks like I'll just fix the "trenches" of my ARK kit. 😁

Maybe I should look again - I don't recall the panel lines as being that bad - certainly not Matchboxlike. If nothing else, they were relatively well-defined. What I do recall was that there wasn't much distinction between panel lines (per se) and hinge lines or other recessed detail lines.

John

• 5 months later...