1/48 - Lavoshkin La-11 "Fang" by HobbyBoss - released

Homebee

After seeing the La-9 at Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004 my Dad said maybe my Lavochkin craving could be solved with a butchered FW190! Fortunately I was able to get the Siga kit.

The Ark kit seems to have no sidewall/console detail so I'm curious to see what this has in the cockpit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

I wonder if Hobby Boss will release it in the gentleman’s scale of 1/72 ?   ( If only ! )

Wulfman

Excellent idea; more than I dared to hope for. Okay, here's the real "rumourmongering" part - the unexpected release of a nifty new 1/72 La-9/La-11 decal sheet by Begemot makes me suspicious that some unknown someone is planning a new kit. The existing ones (if you can call kits that are old and almost impossible to obtain, "existing") certainly don't rate that kind of consideration, especially when great VVS kits like the recent Yakovlevs from Brengun and Arma or the Lavochkins from Clear Prop and KP are ignored.

John

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

Is the MPM kit of the La-11 worthy of discussion?  I thought it looked the part in 1993. 

Sure, why not? But for anyone who didn't already get the kit back when it was available, finding one won't be easy almost 30 years later. That's why Begemot's decal sheet release seems odd - I wouldn't expect him to invest that kind of effort into something that, even with plenty of luck, would only be scarcely available even through ebay. There are a couple of newer kits from Gran and Siga, but even those are not commonly available and are rather crude, so they're hardly worthy of a dedicated decal sheet, in my opinion, at least. But, maybe I'm just grasping at straws in my desire for a new 1/72 La-9/La-11 kit!

John

1 hour ago, 28ZComeback said:

Is the MPM kit of the La-11 worthy of discussion?

It depends.

If you like doing most of the kit virtually from scratch, detailing, scribing panel lines, riveting and so on, then you can consider it.

If you want a kit with good details, for simple and enjoyable gluing and painting, then wait until someone makes a new model.

MPM released their kit in 1989 and reissued it a few years later in a nicer box. It was one of their first kits and in fact is already a vintage model that I would put away in a home museum. Here is a review from a dozen years ago:  http://www.oocities.org/capecanaveral/4676/la-9-11.htm

1 hour ago, mr_stomach said:

Seems every line and detail is wrong on this Hobby Boss kit. B-team in action 🙂

Can you be more specific, please? If that's true, it's a shame on HobbyBoss, considering that there are several preserved La-11s available for measurement in China. I know, I know - China's a big place, but where there's a will, there's a way.

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr_stomach said:

Seems every line and detail is wrong on this Hobby Boss kit. B-team in action 🙂

More information on this would help.    I see John has posted the same. 

2 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

considering that there are several preserved La-11s available for measurement in China.

Trumpeter* copies a mistake in MiG-15 plans,  (fin angle ) despite their being preserved miG-15's in China too.  Probably way to expensive when there are plans available for free online...

*I was told by some in the industry that one floor of the factory is Trumpeter, the other has Hobby Boss.... they certainly share research.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

This is the same company, just different brands.

Zhongshan Yatai Electric Appliances Co., Ltd.

http://zsyatai.waimaotong.com/

https://zsyatai.en.alibaba.com/company_profile.html

------------------------------------------------

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.php?g=home&m=page&a=index&id=142&l=en

Yatai Electric Appliances Co., Ltd, derived of Trumpeter Plastic Model Kits, has been a large compressive plastic molding and electrical appliances manufacturer of the world. With strong engineering team and the most advanced machinery equipments, Yatai can work from a brilliant idea or inspiring concept, through thoughtful and innovative designing, dedicated tooling, careful and systematic assembling, standard testing to final products with world-wide acclaimed high quality of products. As a goal and company philosophy, Yatai will continue and move forward to work out the highest quality products to satisfy the expectation and demands of our customers all over the world.

Address:

NanLong Industrial Park,SanXiang,

ZhongShan,GuangDong, China

Tel:0760-86692666

Fax:0760-86692996

[email protected]

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.hobbyboss.com/index.php?g=home&m=page&a=index&id=127&l=en

Yatai Electric Appliances Co, Ltd., a professtional manufacturer of static plastic model kits has became a world famouse modelling company and brand after many years' hard work. Continually improving and making the best products are the operation philosophy and responsibility of the company.

HobbyBoss is one of the  brands of Yatai Electric Appliances Co; Ltd. which has advanced equipments, standard management, and passed a lot of authentication.  We will release more and more better items to serve the modellers all around the world with professtional group, high technique and strict attitude.

Address:

NanLong Industrial Park,SanXiang,

ZhongShan,GuangDong 528463 China

Tel:+86 760 86338326

Fax:+86 760 86338326

E-mail:[email protected]

Web:www.hobbyboss.com

----------------------------------------------

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2021 at 6:13 AM, 28ZComeback said:

I think the ARK detail is finer shape is more refined, but then again, I am half blind.

I agree. I have just done a comparative check between the two sets of sprues and the only issue with the Ark kit (if it is, indeed, an issue, after several coats of paint) are the deep panel lines. In every other respect the Ark kit looks superior. I think those 'reinforcement strips' (if that is what they are) across the wings are too pronounced on the Hobby Boss kit when compared with the Ark version. I also prefer the wheel hubs and propeller in the latter kit, since they also appear more accurate and are more finely detailed. The aileron surfaces on the Ark kit are also nicer, so I will stick with this one and add the Ark La-9 to my collection too.  Looking forward to the new decal sheet from Begemot for these two aircraft as well !.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John Thompson said:

If that's true, it's a shame on HobbyBoss, considering that there are several preserved La-11s available for measurement in China. I know, I know - China's a big place, but where there's a will, there's a way.

John

Availability of subjects did not prevented them from errors in MiG-21 (and Chinese copies) Su-27 (and Chinese copies), Jl-9, JF-17 and others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mr_stomach said:

Part 2 - Wings

spacer.png

So, looking at these photos, I can categorically proclaim that the Ark kit parts are for more accurate than those of the HB kit. The Ark parts are not perfect (in that they do not include all of the panel lines shown in the drawings here) but the 'reinforcement strips' are far closer in shape and dimension to those shown in the drawings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1