1/48 - Sukhoi Su-34 "Fullback" by HobbyBoss - released - new Khibiny resin pods by Zactoman

Homebee

16 minutes ago, Robotics said:

You are just another one who does not see the difference between discussing and pointless critisizm.. so you must be in the nagging group then?

Why would you defend this?

Joe

Then don't buy it.

You don't seem to understand what pointless criticism is.

If people discuss a problem with a kit that helps some one improves it's accuracy when they are building it that is not pointless.

If people discuss a problem with a kit that get some else to start looking more closely at a kit and can inform other of problems then that is not pointless.

If people discuss a problem with a kit that helps some one choose not to buy the kit because they wouldn't be happy building with it's faults or they don't want to make big changes to the kit then it is not pointless.

Pointless criticism is what you are doing to other peoples posts which is telling them to stop discussing the kits faults.

Nagging is when some one keeps going on about the same things and not saying anything different, which I haven't seen here.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 3

Just now, Sebastien said:

Tbolt,

Have you tried the "Ignore" option?

Works wonders...

Cheers,

S.

Funny you should mention that, I've just used it for the first time, I forgot it was there before ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Apart from the price, that makes this one not affordable for me, are there any other issues with size and shape?

(Mostly interested to hear from people that have it already)

Edited by DIO

• 4 weeks later...

Well, one arrived at a couch near me by way of BerndM Modellbau. Excellent service, bought on the 23rd, in my hands on the 29th. The box is huge, even compared to Hobby Boss's recent MiG-31 offering its large. Whilst the Su-34's dimensions are similar to those of Hobby Boss's recent Su-27, the reason for the size of the box becomes apparent when you start looking at the sprues. Seriously, it seems that every Russian weapon possible that this thing can carry is accounted for. 

I'm going to hold fire getting stuck in as I'd like to see what aftermarket becomes available (the nose is being worked in by Red Star as noted above), various grills, access panels and engines strike me as areas of interest, no doubt Eduard will have something on the market soon. Will also be interesting to compare with the Kitty Hawk offering to see which looks most like a real Su-34...

Despite noted issues, it's a nice model, does it warrant the cost? IMHO no, I paid less than market rate and no doubt when they become more readily available then the usual outlets will be offering some good deals. If you want to add one to your stash just make sure there is room on the shelf. It'll need it...

• Like 1

Wonder if a Russian weapons set any serious modeler is going to replace with resin is worth is worth that much...  guess the high priece will hurt sales more...

Would be much better to add one  characteristic load out and keep the box smaller and shipping costs down... my 2 cts only of course

hope to see one built soon to make up my minď!

Edited by exdraken

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Wonder if a Russian weapons set any serious modeler is going to replace with resin is worth is worth that much...  guess the high priece will hurt sales more...

Would be much better to add one  characteristic load out and keep the box smaller and shipping costs down... my 2 cts only of cours

hope to see one built soon to make up my minď!

I couldn't agree more!

On 29-9-2016 at 1:13 PM, Robotics said:

LOL!

I have just sent an email to my LHS (Krikke modelbouw in Groningen) if they can make me a deal. Just bought the Hobbyboss Su-27 from them last week. And have advised them to sell Gunze and Mr. Paint paints (the only one in Holland!!), and it sells very good.

Joe

Ah - so you're the reason Krikke has Gunze!

Thanks are in order then. ;) 

Proost,

Andre 

On 12/29/2016 at 2:22 PM, March said:

Well, one arrived at a couch near me by way of BerndM Modellbau. Excellent service, bought on the 23rd, in my hands on the 29th. The box is huge, even compared to Hobby Boss's recent MiG-31 offering its large. Whilst the Su-34's dimensions are similar to those of Hobby Boss's recent Su-27, the reason for the size of the box becomes apparent when you start looking at the sprues. Seriously, it seems that every Russian weapon possible that this thing can carry is accounted for. 

I'm going to hold fire getting stuck in as I'd like to see what aftermarket becomes available (the nose is being worked in by Red Star as noted above), various grills, access panels and engines strike me as areas of interest, no doubt Eduard will have something on the market soon. Will also be interesting to compare with the Kitty Hawk offering to see which looks most like a real Su-34...

Despite noted issues, it's a nice model, does it warrant the cost? IMHO no, I paid less than market rate and no doubt when they become more readily available then the usual outlets will be offering some good deals. If you want to add one to your stash just make sure there is room on the shelf. It'll need it...

Happy New Year men!

I ordered my Su-34 from Red Star in advance of the release. I've had it now for several weeks and it will sit on the shelf until I finish up a couple of projects but I am anxious to dive in and build. It is probably the largest 1/48th fighter-bomber I will build and is much larger than a F-15. Flory's in-box review is a good start, but I would like to see a brave soul get into it and do a build online. The layout doesn't look like it it will be any huge challenge provided the fit goes well, but that nose/radome area & the tires need to be fixed. I was hoping to see a brave soul jump on this kit and work through some sort of re-profiling with a sanding stick. I do not want to be the guinea pig for that move (I have to see an example first). So, if anyone out there wants to take a crack at it, I'll be most attentive.

11 hours ago, Blue_Centurion said:

Happy New Year men!

I ordered my Su-34 from Red Star in advance of the release. I've had it now for several weeks and it will sit on the shelf until I finish up a couple of projects but I am anxious to dive in and build. It is probably the largest 1/48th fighter-bomber I will build and is much larger than a F-15. Flory's in-box review is a good start, but I would like to see a brave soul get into it and do a build online. The layout doesn't look like it it will be any huge challenge provided the fit goes well, but that nose/radome area & the tires need to be fixed. I was hoping to see a brave soul jump on this kit and work through some sort of re-profiling with a sanding stick. I do not want to be the guinea pig for that move (I have to see an example first). So, if anyone out there wants to take a crack at it, I'll be most attentive.

Well, it'll be a while before I make a start on mine too! Likewise, finishing up a couple of builds and having moved last year, not yet having had the opportunity to set up a modelling spot in the new house means that I'm currently confined to smaller builds. Plus I'd like to see what aftermarket becomes available before I make a start. Nose is a cert, although I have a set of Armory wheels for the Cooperitiva kit that I may be able to use (bought by accident, but one that might work in my favour). 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey , why would you pay 100 + for a  maker who can't spot the nose shape. That says long about their competence, if they can't even get the obvious nose typical shape right, just guess for the rest.

I know what to do with my bucks...wait for a decent kit whose got the basic right !  May take a while , I don't care !

Bye, bye Trump...eter ! 

Madcop.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 5:06 PM, madcop said:

Hey , why would you pay 100 + for a  maker who can't spot the nose shape. That says long about their competence, if they can't even get the obvious nose typical shape right, just guess for the rest.

I know what to do with my bucks...wait for a decent kit whose got the basic right !  May take a while , I don't care !

Bye, bye Trump...eter ! 

Madcop.

If one was to follow your lead on that analysis, we would be purchasing very few kits. No kit is perfect, some kits simply do not have the right shape regardless of the effort. Some of those same kits are still very good sellers because they remain the only kit of that model available in that scale. I'll most likely buy the Kitty Hawk Su-34 as well, but for now, I'll work on the HobbyBoss when I get the time.

46 minutes ago, Blue_Centurion said:

If one was to follow your lead on that analysis, we would be purchasing very few kits. No kit is perfect, some kits simply do not have the right shape regardless of the effort. Some of those same kits are still very good sellers because they remain the only kit of that model available in that scale. I'll most likely buy the Kitty Hawk Su-34 as well, but for now, I'll work on the HobbyBoss when I get the time.

hmmmm...whilst I agree that sometimes people can be overly negative towards certain manufacturers, and almost try to find errors in some new releases, I think in this case the criticism is justified. The fact that Red Star are themselves producing a new nose suggests something is not quite right. I am not wanting to start a flame war over this, but given the premium price of the kit, and that one of the central features of the Su-34 is clearly not an accurate rendition of the shape, I think there is room for comment?

I will eventually buy a copy of this kit, or the Kittyhawk one, once the price drops over time/discounting starts. In the meantime I can understand the frustrations felt by some along the lines of 'here we go again' with HBoss.

• Like 1

While we havent yet seen a build or true review of the HobbyBoss, at the moment Im agreeing with azzaob. Too much money for too much of a gamble and paying for too much unused plastic in that weapon selection. Call it £45 without the weapons and a sensible nose and Im all over it.
Kitty Hawk... hmm. Theyre hit n miss it seems. Well, we can but wait and hope.

Put simply - need a lower price and the nose being a key and such distinctive part of the shape could do with being pretty close at least.
I dont mean that in a harsh way - for example: I love Hasegawas 1/48 Starfighters despite the rivet issues etc because they just look right as well as going together really nicely and arent stupid money. Also I picked up the Trumpeter 1/48 Su-24 despite the issues with that because I got it for sensible money and that helps forgive the few shape issues with it/makes it less scary to butcher it/add aftermarket.

Now. Where are the builds and honest reviews of the HobbyBoss? Would really like to see one built and hear how it went while KH are messing about with weapons sets or whatever...

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...